Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam rises to 65 million active users, eclipsing Xbox Live

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DonPixel

The Verge: Steam rises to 65 million active users, eclipsing Xbox Live

"Steam now has more than 65 million active accounts. The figure marks a 30 percent rise in players over the last year. The video game digital-download platform also boasts daily peak concurrent users of more than 6 million"

" in the same year its two major console competitors are releasing new machines. In contrast to Steam's figures, Microsoft's Xbox Live has 48 million accounts"

"Sony and Microsoft's still focus on providing an online ecosystem for games obtained through physical media. But these new figures do suggest that Steam doesn't have to worry about being eclipsed: its users on their own are numerous enough to make the service a worthy competitor"

-I'm not a console hater I had a bunch of consoles since the Atari days, but these days with PC, Tablets, Smartphones, and Ultrabooks really seems like the old console way is redundant.

-Risk adverse unimaginative AAA industry is not really making a case for next gen either: Battlefield the fourth, hee no thanks I have it on PC. Modern Warfare the 20th, woops maybe wait for steam sale.

-And then there is the Console manufacturers with their ancient DRM policies, not helping either: Wii-U hardware bond downloads!? seriously are you kidding me... haven't they learnt anything from the Apple store?

No Caption Provided

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Freshbandito

Breaking news: Numbers of people play games on platforms! and a platform that can be downloaded free on any computer is the most populous!

Film at 11

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me wonder when a new service will surface that is even better than Steam. In 5 years, 10?

It is interesting that we have all of these games and apps tied to one specific service, and should Steam keel and die all of our digital goods in their part of the cloud will disappear with it.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DonPixel

Breaking news: Numbers of people play games on platforms! and a platform that can be downloaded free on any computer is the most populous!

Film at 11

Free? I bet my ass League of Legends has done more money than GTAV or COD.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel said:

@freshbandito said:

Film at 11

Man league of legends is so free!

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By iamjohn
    @donpixel said:

@freshbandito said:

Film at 11

You kind of missed the point there. Actually, let me rephrase - you completely missed the point there.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Nekroskop

Steam stopped me from pirating games. They made it easier to play games than torrenting and cracking them. That's good enough for me.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@verendus said:

@donpixel: Way to miss a point there.

yeah I re-read that... that´s what I get for posting a quick answer while being distracted

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By l4wd0g
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

This makes me wonder when a new service will surface that is even better than Steam. In 5 years, 10?

It is interesting that we have all of these games and apps tied to one specific service, and should Steam keel and die all of our digital goods in their part of the cloud will disappear with it.

At this point I'd say that Valve has become a company so large that it won't just "keel over and die". It would be a pretty slow death.

Anyway, this isn't really surprising. Turns out that people like being entertained. Turns out that people like being entertained on the cheap. Turns out that Steam has a lot of cheap, entertaining stuff that will run on practically anything you can buy in your local Wal-Mart.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By GERALTITUDE

The more interesting, useful and relevant information would be the average number of games a Steam user owns vs. Xbox or Playstation as well as the average dollar amount spent.

As for this: whatever.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Nictel

@geraltitude said:

The more interesting, useful and relevant information would be the average number of games a Steam user owns vs. Xbox or Playstation as well as the average dollar amount spent.

Through the store? I am going to guess those numbers are going to be insane. Steam sales.. Steam sales.. Steam Sales. Same for average games owned. Too many cheap games and big bundles sold on the Steam store. I am not average but for me it would be 50:1 game wise on Xbox and (because of PS+) 5:1 on PS3.

@l4wd0g That's not a fair comparison, how many of those PCs are for schools, businesses and such?

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

@geraltitude said:

Through the store? I am going to guess those numbers are going to be insane. Steam sales.. Steam sales.. Steam Sales. Same for average games owned. Too many cheap games and big bundles sold on the Steam store. I am not average but for me it would be 50:1 game wise on Xbox and (because of PS+) 5:1 on PS3.

@l4wd0g That's not a fair comparison, how many of those PCs are for schools, businesses and such?

Yeah it would probably be pretty insane. I own 426 games on steam, that's more than I have owned on all consoles combined, and I have seen many with even more games.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most played game has been Solitaire/Freecell/Minesweeper.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#16 fisk0  Moderator

@l4wd0g said:

in other news, the number of PC's sold in just the US during 2011 outsells the entire world wide lifespan of the Xbox 360.

It's all about how you look at the numbers.

355.12 million PCs sold worldwide in 2011 / 65 million steam users = 18% of users

50 million world wide Xbox 360 sales in 2011 / 30 million Xbox live users = 60%

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/05/xbox-360-hits-50-million-worldwide-xbox-live-users-top-30-milli/

Does that mean around 40% of all 360's are never connected to the Internet? You need an account to access the store, download patches and stuff like that, don't you? I may of course be wrong, since I've never had a 360 and don't really know how that stuff works on the system.

How common would you say it is to have multiple accounts on the same Xbox by the way, wouldn't that make the possible number of non-connected 360's even larger?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Some vague press-speak here. What does "active accounts" mean? How many folks are like me and have purchased all of one game from Steam in the last three years and just let their account idle there? Also helps that Steam is a free service with no direct hardware buy-in requisite (a'la PSN to PS3).

That aside, still impressive. Glad Steam's doing so well. It's a fantastic service.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@nictel said:

@geraltitude said:

As many games as a lot of us own on Steam, there are so many people I see on there that have nothing but Dota 2 or TF2 on their account and that's all they play. I'll bet a huge percentage of that 65 million are free to play folks that never spend a dime.

I wonder if that 48 million live customers is only people that have Gold, I would have guessed the number to be higher.

Maybe not, how many consoles have they sold and are still in use? 48 million would probably be pretty close.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds good.

Steam stopped me from pirating games. They made it easier to play games than torrenting and cracking them. That's good enough for me.

This is what stopped me too and now I like paying for games and supporting developers that make the games I like

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Two of those accounts are mine. One I had before I owned a decent PC, and I only used it to play free Peggle. Some dude stole the account, and Valve won't give it back to me because I never bought a game on it grrrr....

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

We are legion!

Loading Video...

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not surprising since Steam has no real competitors unlike consoles. And there are plenty of games that require steam as DRM.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@nictel said:

@geraltitude said:

As many games as a lot of us own on Steam, there are so many people I see on there that have nothing but Dota 2 or TF2 on their account and that's all they play. I'll bet a huge percentage of that 65 million are free to play folks that never spend a dime.

I wonder if that 48 million live customers is only people that have Gold, I would have guessed the number to be higher.

Maybe not, how many consoles have they sold and are still in use? 48 million would probably be pretty close.

Yeah this is a big part of why it would be fascinating to me, and, more importantly, I'm certain seeing that data would inspire console market's to embrace sales. My thought is all the F2P players still won't drag the average number of games purchased down to anywhere near console numbers. On the other hand imagine comparing that data to the amount of games and dollars spent with mobile consumers.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We are legion!

Loading Video...

What the fuck is going on in that cartoon.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

sigh, remember that 10 year anniversary a few months back and Activision had a 15% off CoD. Sigh, good times.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By bigjeffrey

there should be more users, there are like 1 billion pc

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what does it feel like to be eaten by gabe.................

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By RobotHamster
    Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those curious, I think RPS confirmed active means the account has been logged into in the past fortnight

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@robothamster: Yeah. It very aptly depicts what life is like on that fateful beginning day of a major Steam sale.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By TopCat88

@nekroskop said:

Me too. I've even gone back and bought games I previously torrented. If the price is low and the install is easier and guaranteed to work I'm happy to buy everything on Steam.

No Caption Provided

EDIT: @robothamster I wonder if the misuse of wait/weight is a mistake or a parody of bad subtitles. I'm not trying to pick holes in the video, just wondering.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.