Steam Sale dilemma: Bulletstorm or Alpha Protocol?

• 72 results
#1 Posted by Fascismo (117 posts) -

I'm only letting myself spend 10 more dollars on this year's summer sale, and I'm torn between Bulletstorm and Alpha Protocol. Bulletstorm was more well-recieved, and I had a lot of fun with the demo, but I can't help but shake the feeling that it's going to wear thin after a few hours. Alpha Protocol, on paper, sounds like the easy choice since I'm a huge fan of the Mass Effect series, but the critical response made me shy away from it when it was initially released. At 10 bucks though, it's tempting to finally give it a chance.

Anybody here played both? Between AP's jank and Bulletstorm's potentially short lifespan, which one comes out on top?

#2 Posted by SamFo (1528 posts) -

buy neither, donate the money to charity.

#3 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4714 posts) -

Alpha Protocol. Bulletstorm is fucking awful while Alpha Protocol is great, so, duh.

#4 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Bulletstorm is a fantastic shooter and looks great on the PC, has great weapons and some funny moments. Don't buy alpha protocol its really bad.

#5 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19331 posts) -

I enjoyed both games, but I definitely loved Alpha Protocol more. The only RPG I've ever played where your decisions actually mattered and had a profound effect on the world.

But like others have mentioned, I bought the game when it was at $2. Perhaps a better deal will come in the future.

#6 Edited by Skyfire543 (678 posts) -

Bulletstorm is fucking awesome but short lived, so I have to agree. Go with Alpha Protocol.

EDIT: I just checked and Alpha Protocol is running at $11.99. I recall getting it for $1.99. You should probably wait and see if it goes down even more

#7 Posted by Shirogane (3569 posts) -

I don't see either of those games on a flash deal or daily sale yet, rule of steam sales, don't buy stuff not on the featured sales until the last day, cause you'll kick yourself when it shows up for way cheaper later.

#8 Posted by MightyDuck (1521 posts) -

I really enjoyed Alpha Protocol. Does it have some issues? Of course, but if you can look past them there is a pretty neat game in there.

#9 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

I think Alpha Protocol ran for 99cents at one point O.o.

Maybe wait to see if you can get both (and buy one or the other on the last day) if you really want to limit it to under 10. Both are good (and a bit unique) in some ways.

#10 Posted by Allison (264 posts) -

Alpha Protocol is the most fun shooter RPG in the world. It is so goofy and charming and

If you hate Alpha Protocol you hate Obsidian because it is RAW Obsidian this ain't no processed junk nosirre

#11 Posted by me3639 (1753 posts) -

I played both and not even close, Bulletstorm. Yes, AP has some good ideas, but its a broken old looking mess.

#12 Posted by Hunter5024 (5640 posts) -

Which is more important to you story or gameplay? If story, go for Alpha Protocol. If gameplay, Bulletstorm is the game for you.

#13 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Bulletstorm, by far. It may be shorter, but you will spend a better time with it.

#14 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

I enjoyed Alpha Protocol quite a lot, warts and all.

#15 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

be sure to wait until the end, those games will probably end up much cheaper at one point

#16 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

Alpha Protocol! As others have said, it has issues, but it is still enjoyable. I think it'd have more bang for your buck if you're into action rpgs.

#17 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Alpha Protocol is incredible, Bulletstorm is a game.

#18 Edited by MisterSeven (3 posts) -

Bulletstorm is one of the best shooters in years. Not to missed, short or otherwise.

#19 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Allison said:

Alpha Protocol is the most fun shooter RPG in the world. It is so goofy and charming and

If you hate Alpha Protocol you hate Obsidian because it is RAW Obsidian this ain't no processed junk nosirre

This is the best comment I've ever seen regarding Alpha Protocol. Thank god for Wasteland 2 coming soon!

#20 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11645 posts) -

@Allison said:

I decidedly dislike Alpha Protocol but I think New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2 are both way better than the games they are based on. Boom.

To elaborate, I think that AP can and should be praised for its method of dynamic storytelling. It's just that, I don't think the story is particularly good. I think Michael Thorton comes off as a total asshole regardless of how you play him and I think most of the supporting cast is dull and forgettable, all wrapped around a pretty boilerplate "modern espionage" story. Not even going to mention the gameplay, because under no circumstances should you play Alpha Protocol for its gameplay (making fighting a coked up Russian Mobster with a taste for 80s paraphernalia a negative experience is just... unfortunate). That being said, it's divisive and unique enough that for a low price (and I mean a low price) I think you should at least play it once. Maybe you'll decide that I'm wrong.

#21 Posted by snakeitachi (123 posts) -

Neither.

#22 Posted by MegaLombax (387 posts) -

Bulletstorm is a safer bet I suppose? I've played both games and I can tell you both are good. Though I personally think Alpha Protocol is an amazing game, its either a hit or miss with a lot of people, judging from what I've read in various forums and reviews so far.

#23 Posted by Akyho (1602 posts) -

Alpha protocol all the day....days bro.

#24 Posted by CannonGoose (372 posts) -

Alpha Protocol.

#25 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Alpha Protocol.

#26 Posted by Catarrhal (826 posts) -

@Fascismo: I've played both. Loved Bulletstorm; lost interest in Alpha Protocol halfway through (and I, too, am a huge fan of Mass Effect). If you haven't already seen the Quick Look for Alpha Protocol, you might wanna check that out. Aside from the game's myriad technical issues, the main character is arguably one of the most unlikable protagonists since Kratos.

Again, you could always read Jeff's reviews for both these games. Personally--as single-player FPS campaigns go, I think Bulletstorm is practically a flawless masterwork. The brilliant weapon design, along with the emphasis on "skillshot" techniques, makes for some of the most satisfying gameplay in the genre. You'll actually want to use all of the weapons (and are rewarded for doing so). And look at these goddamn screenshots.

#27 Posted by BeachThunder (11861 posts) -

o_O so much polarisation in this thread.

#28 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Other things that you can probably find worth your money, between the two AP is probably the better choice as Bulletstorm was quite short & once you're done with it, that's about it. I really had little drive to get into the multiplayer or even replay it at a higher difficulty after finishing it.

#29 Posted by ajamafalous (11964 posts) -

Wait until the last day before you buy either, because chances are one or both will be daily or flash deals.

#30 Posted by Lukeweizer (2656 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

Alpha Protocol. Bulletstorm is fucking awful while Alpha Protocol is great, so, duh.

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Bulletstorm is a fantastic shooter and looks great on the PC, has great weapons and some funny moments. Don't buy alpha protocol its really bad.

It's THAT easy.

#31 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

@SamFo said:

buy neither, donate the money to charity.

The thing that good people do.

The thing that awesome people do: Totally buy Alpha Protocol and don't look back. Bulletstorm was fun, but Alpha Protocol was brilliant!

#32 Edited by chw (101 posts) -

Both games have been cheaper than 10 bucks. If I'm not mistaken, Bulletstorm in particular was $5 in a recent Amazon sale. Wait for a steeper drop IMO.

#33 Posted by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -

Bulletstorm is an amazing game.

#34 Posted by Brians (1461 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

#35 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

Bulletstorm was a short but fantastically ridiculous ride.

Alpha Protocol I have not finished and do not intend to.

#36 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

I enjoy both of those games quite a bit - both have stories that surprise you with their quality, and Alpha Protocol has extremely unconventional, but not bad when you get used to it's rules, gameplay.

Wait til later in the sale to see if they get discounted more and GET BOTH.

#37 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6158 posts) -

Bulletstorm. Alpha Protocol stinks worse than my dirty britches!

#38 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

I would say Bulletstorm. I frickin loved the game. Feels like an old school shooter in a good way. Alpha Protocol is also a good game but with some serious flaws. Also you can totally find Alpha Protocol for cheaper if you wait for it to be super cheap.

#39 Posted by Fudge91 (199 posts) -

Bulletstorm is a really fun shooter, and Alpha Protocol is one of the best RPG's released in 2010. My vote goes for the latter.

#40 Posted by Soap (3579 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

If you reverse this statement, you might be approaching a good idea. Alpha Protocol is a buggy boring game with broken game mechanics and Bulletstorm is a crazy FPS that is ok.

#41 Posted by Jimbo (9804 posts) -

Alpha Protocol all day long.

#42 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

Alpha Protocol and don't think twice about it.

It doesn't have the most original story ever, but the way it all meshes together and is affected by your choice and actions during missions is almost seamless, something Bioware totally failed to do with the Mass Effect games. It's more of an old school affair, and really relies on your stats and skill choices for combat, which I think is what turned a lot of people off, but if you hate the dumbing down Bioware did with ME and Dragon Age 2, it's definitely something you'll enjoy.

#43 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

Well, Bulletstorm works. So there you go.

#44 Posted by Soap (3579 posts) -

I'm actually surprised at the amount of support Alpha Protocol has in this thread, I though this would be pretty one sided tbh.

#45 Posted by Fattony12000 (7323 posts) -

Don't make Matt cry.

Matthew Rorie
#46 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

Alpha Protocol, get it.

#47 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Alpha Protocol.

Especially against Bullet Storm.

#48 Posted by Danteveli (1177 posts) -

If you play it right you may get both of them for that 10$.

#49 Edited by Vextroid (1391 posts) -

Hopefully Alpha Protocol gets a daily deal. Really want to play it.

#50 Posted by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

Bingo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.