Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam sale -- might've broke me.

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By HumanityPlague

So, with the Steam sale come and gone, I thought I might go over my poor, poor purchases, both that I made myself, and got friends to make for me.  

I'll start with what I got myself (title, and price)

1. Fable 1, 2.50$
    2. Cargo,  5.00$
    3. Lego Batman, 5:00$
    4. Sonic Generations, 15.00$ (from Amazon/CAG)
    5. Renegade Ops, 3.00$ (from Amazon/CAG)
    6. E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy, 2.50$
    7. Rainbow Six Vegas, 2.50$
    8. Railworks Train Simulator 2012 Deluxe, 4.00$
    9. Rock of Ages, 2.50$
    10. Sequence, 1.24$
    11. Puzzle Agent 2, Quake 4, Magic 2012 expansion, Xotic, Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road DLC, Deck Pack 1, Duels 2012 Deck Pack 2 -- total was 18.63$
    12. L.A. Noire, Rochard -- total was 17.48$
    13. Spore Complete Pack (Spore, Galactic Adventures, Creepy & Cute), and Darkspore -- total was 44.97$
    14. Shogun 2, 2.50 (actually was 7.50 on Amazon, but I used a 5$ off coupon on it)
    15. Crazy Machines Complete Bundle, 20$
    These are the gifts I got, name, price, person who got it

1.  Skyrim,  40$, from my friend Kevin
    2.  Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition,  60$,  from my friend Frank.  Convinced him to buy the 4-pack, so we could game some
    3.  Dead Space 2, 5$, from Allicrombie
    4.  Dead Island, 11$ (really was 16$ but used a 5$ off  coupon), from my friend Jordan

So...overall, not a bad haul.  I gotta say, the last day of the sale...yeah, I actually ran out of shit to buy.  Hence why I got the Crazy Machines pack.

Yeah...anyway,  thanks to the 4 people who got me the gifts.  And I bought way too much nonsense.  Ah well, I finally have Spore on Steam, so that's good.

EDIT:  I got one more game today, Space Marine, for 13$ (on GreenManGaming), so all told, I spent 160$.  Go me.
    HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By HumanityPlague

So, with the Steam sale come and gone, I thought I might go over my poor, poor purchases, both that I made myself, and got friends to make for me.  

I'll start with what I got myself (title, and price)

1. Fable 1, 2.50$
    2. Cargo,  5.00$
    3. Lego Batman, 5:00$
    4. Sonic Generations, 15.00$ (from Amazon/CAG)
    5. Renegade Ops, 3.00$ (from Amazon/CAG)
    6. E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy, 2.50$
    7. Rainbow Six Vegas, 2.50$
    8. Railworks Train Simulator 2012 Deluxe, 4.00$
    9. Rock of Ages, 2.50$
    10. Sequence, 1.24$
    11. Puzzle Agent 2, Quake 4, Magic 2012 expansion, Xotic, Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road DLC, Deck Pack 1, Duels 2012 Deck Pack 2 -- total was 18.63$
    12. L.A. Noire, Rochard -- total was 17.48$
    13. Spore Complete Pack (Spore, Galactic Adventures, Creepy & Cute), and Darkspore -- total was 44.97$
    14. Shogun 2, 2.50 (actually was 7.50 on Amazon, but I used a 5$ off coupon on it)
    15. Crazy Machines Complete Bundle, 20$
    These are the gifts I got, name, price, person who got it

1.  Skyrim,  40$, from my friend Kevin
    2.  Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition,  60$,  from my friend Frank.  Convinced him to buy the 4-pack, so we could game some
    3.  Dead Space 2, 5$, from Allicrombie
    4.  Dead Island, 11$ (really was 16$ but used a 5$ off  coupon), from my friend Jordan

So...overall, not a bad haul.  I gotta say, the last day of the sale...yeah, I actually ran out of shit to buy.  Hence why I got the Crazy Machines pack.

Yeah...anyway,  thanks to the 4 people who got me the gifts.  And I bought way too much nonsense.  Ah well, I finally have Spore on Steam, so that's good.

EDIT:  I got one more game today, Space Marine, for 13$ (on GreenManGaming), so all told, I spent 160$.  Go me.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By jorbear

And to think I may have influenced some of these purchases...

Brings a tear to my eye.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Dingofighter
    The best part is, the more you buy now, the more money you will feel like you're saving at the next sale when you already have everything you want. 
    Well, that could have been true if there wasn't new games coming out all the time...
    DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By DarthOrange

Steam is evil. You probably wont even put 2 hours into about a third of those games unless you stop playing new games until July.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Dalai

Wait a few years and you'll buy less during these sales. I spent some good coin during my first Steam sale, but this year I spent less than $15 overall. All I bought was Blur and the Dungeons of Dredmor DLC for myself and Borderlands: GOTY Edition for my brother. But in return, he bought me Dead Island and gave me a copy of The Ship. I almost bought L.A. Noire, but Rockstar's PC port track record is pretty shit.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Grimluck343

I felt like I bought a lot more than $160 on this past sale, but going over it, I probably spent less than half of that. Makes me feel that much better about all the games I got specifically for achievements.

Zembosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zembosis

ARRGH! I thought this was over...*buys Space Marine*

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By CosmicQueso

So wait... now we're complaining about how many games we were able to buy for very little cash?

This is like those threads on the Steam forums complaining about how a game is $4 when it was $2.50 during the summer sale. Or those ones complaining about only receiving coal for an achievement done in a free to play game.

Oh, Internet, You!

oasis789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oasis789

Now you have a huge backlog to play until the next sale :)

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TorMasturba

I had that situation where I have everything on Steam that I actually want, so I probably only spent like $40 on games that fall into the "Too-cheap-to-not-buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" category.

Hey I'm a silly person that currently has expendable cash to spend, I might as well enjoy it while this arrangement lasts right? So fuck it.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#12  Edited By loopy_101

The Steam Christmas deals I found were a bit meh overall this year, like many of them were recycled over from Summer Camp or could already be obtained cheaply on another platform. I will say the deals for Sonic Generations and L.A. Noire Complete were impressive, despite being slightly higher than my £5 budget but many of my impulse buys were sort of influenced through other means.

Which brings me to the Great Gift Pile. Damn, what was I thinking buying games just to complete the tasks? I already told you this, but I got Psychonauts, Wings of Prey and Hard Reset partly because of the tasks, only never finding the enthusiasm to complete them bar with Hard Reset. Heck, atleast I won R.U.S.E through it in the end. Part of me wonders if it was worth it though.

But eh, I still got the Jedi Knight Collection, Street Fighter IV and Fable - The Lost Chapters out of christmas deals so I have little reason to cry about what I got in the end.

jonnybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By jonnybob

@PyjamaRama: Same here, lol

I bought dungeon defenders just before xmas and the humble indie bundle. Good to know I don't suffer Vinny syndrome.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By penguindust

@Dalai said:

Wait a few years and you'll buy less during these sales. I spent some good coin during my first Steam sale, but this year I spent less than $15 overall...

This is true overall I've found. For me it was a bit different. I splurged during my first Steam sale and then the following holiday, I didn't by anything because there weren't any titles that really moved me to buy at that time. Those that did were either still too expensive for how much I expected to play them or I preferred a console release. This past Christmas however, I did spend around $60 on 5 games including Skyrim. I had intended to spend no more than half that, but sometimes I see something that's too good to refuse. I'll debate later whether or not it was a good idea to pass on Deus Ex Human Revolution for $17. The upside is there's always next year's sale to look forward to.

misterhaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By misterhaan

i have a huge backlog and am fairly sure anything i might want to add to my backlog will go on sale again before i'd get to it anyway, so i almost didn't buy anything. especially since i managed to score 4 games i wanted absolutely free through doing specific things in games i already had.

but then on the last day i bought a little over $11 worth of dlc for deus ex human revolution, magicka, and dungeon defenders because i saw that one of my friends had bought some dlc. at least it was 66% - 75% off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.