It's that time of year again! The time that PC gamers look forward to as much as their wallets dread. The Steam Summer Sale of 2014!
STARTING THURSDAY, JUNE 19TH AT 10:00 PDT
What games do you hope are going to go on sale this year, and do you have a budget in mind for how much you want to spend? My list is pretty short this year because I already own most games that I want, but there are a couple of things that I'm looking forward to picking up on the cheap:
|Game||Current Price||Max Buy Price||Min Percent Off to Buy|
|Borderlands 2: GOTY Edition||$29.99||$9.99||66% Purchased 6/15 $9.99|
|DmC: Devil May Cry||$49.99 (Still)||$12.50||75% Purchased 6/19 $12.49|
|Kentucky Route Zero||$29.99||$7.49||75%|
|The Wolf Among Us||$24.99||$6.25||75%|
|Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance||$29.99||$7.49||75%|
|Wargame: Red Dragon||$39.99||$9.99||75%|
|Europa Universalis IV||$39.99||$9.99||75%|
|Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon||$14.99||$3.74||75% Purchased 6/19 $3.74|
|Dead Island Riptide||$19.99||$4.99||75% Purchaed 6/19 $4.99|
Tips on Steam Sales for new PC Gamers
- Don't buy anything unless it's part of a Community Choice sale, Daily Deal, or Flash Sale unless it's the final day of the event, otherwise it may show up cheaper after you buy it. It sucks buying a game that you really want for 40% off only to have it show up for 85% off a couple of days later. If you miss a limited-time deal during the event, it may come back on the final day, so all is not last. Be vigilant! This leads me to my next tip...
- Add games that you want to your wish list now. Valve will send you emails when they go on sale. Whitelist email@example.com. The emails will be titled "A game on your wish list is on sale!" Another benefit of Steam wish lists is that your friends can see when you have a game on your list is on sale, I've had more than a few games gifted to me this way (and given them out as well!)
- Community Choice sales...make sure you vote for the games you want!
- Set yourself at least a ballpark budget. It's all too easy to just buy anything and everything that is on sale for 75% off or more without thinking about it. Trust me, I know...you don't even want to see my Steam library.
- Unless you can't live without it, don't buy games that are "only" 40-50% off. They will almost definitely go on sale again at a later time at a deeper discount, patience pays
- Check out this Chrome extension called Enhanced Steam. Helps you identify games on your wishlist, games that are on sale, and games that you already own while browsing the Steam website. Thanks for the heads up fattony12000.
SteamPrices.com is a fantastic resource to take a look at the historical price points of a game you're considering buying. Take a look at it before you buy to make sure the game hasn't recently been offered on deeper discount - if it has, you may be better off waiting.