Steam Treasure Hunt Promotion, win 100 games

• 184 results
#1 Edited by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -
 http://store.steampowered.com/treasurehunt

This is pretty insane... there's also a daily drawing to win 5 games from your wishlist. Steam is the greatest.

Edit:(might as well add some more info to this post)

Current Sales

Seems you can do the previous quests to qualify for the grand prize, which removes some of the pressure to try and get those 10 objectives.

Forcen has posted all the specifics 2 posts down. (insert arrow pointing down)

It is also important to note that you do not have to buy every game. If you already own them you get the ticket for the drawing assuming you get the achievement or whatever.
#2 Posted by Tordah (2487 posts) -

My first thought when I saw this was "Oh my god, Steam has quests now." I'm now speechless.

#3 Posted by Forcen (1856 posts) -

Crap, you beat me! :(

let me paste in some more info:

Now through December 20th, the Great Steam Treasure Hunt will have folks spending time in the tropical sun, earning Steam Achievements in select games, joining Community groups, and earning a slot atop the Steam Leaderboards all in the name of winning free games. Every 48 hours a new set of four tasks will be announced. Select games will also be on sale throughout The Great Steam Treasure Hunt.

Completing a objective qualifies you for a drawing to win the top 5 games on your Wishlist. Each objective has its own drawing, so the more you complete, the better your chances. At the end of the Great Steam Treasure Hunt, there will also be three grand prize winners, each awarded 100 individual Steam games of their choosing. Importantly, our lawyers tell us at this point to say, "No purchase necessary" and to check out the official rules here: http://store.steampowered.com/treasurehunt.  

The first objectives are:
Self Portrait: Setup an avatar on your Steam Community profile.
Got Tanked?: Earn the Desert Fox Steam Achievement in   R.U.S.E.
Up the Ante: Win The Iron Curtain in   Poker Night at the Inventory
More Cowbell: Set a leaderbord score of at least 1,124,400 in easy mode for the 'Paul Hartnoll' level in   Chime
The promotions over the next 48 hours are:
33% off   R.U.S.E.
40% off   Poker Night at the Inventory
75% off   Chime
Good luck!

Oh well, got 2/4 tasks done. Time to play some chime!
#4 Edited by azrailx (457 posts) -

each one u finish u get a ticket for free game drawing on 20th 
log on u get one for just havong an avatar, otherwise u need ruse,poker night or chime, for now... 

edit
oh u beat me, big meanie face

#5 Posted by Winternet (8055 posts) -

These little bitches. I am pretty sure they will make me buy games that I was not going to buy in the first place. God, I love / hate Steam. 

Ok, I got two objectives already. The avatar and the Poker Night one ( I already owned the game). There's no way I'll buy Ruse, but what about Chime? It's only a buck. Damn you, Steam. 

And if you complete at least 10 objectives you can win 100 games of your choosing. ONE FUCKING HUNDRED GAMES! Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, that's a lot games.

#6 Posted by mracoon (4979 posts) -

I've been meaning to get Chime anyway and now that it's on sale (£1.00) and part of this promotion I might as well pick it up.

#7 Posted by Mechwing (265 posts) -

Man. u gotta do ALL of them for the last TF2 hat. thats just Mean.

#8 Posted by Forcen (1856 posts) -

3/4 tasks done, i'm not gonna buy R.U.S.E for this though.

#9 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

I'm curious about the Chime objective, as is there's no "easy mode". The 9 minute round would be easiest so I'll assume it's that.

#10 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Wait, that means sales for the next few days right?  

Man, with MS offering 1 dollar deals and D2D having publisher week and 1-in-5 games free promotions, all the DD services are really turning up the heat this month. 

#11 Posted by Forcen (1856 posts) -
@Rockanomics said:
" I'm curious about the Chime objective, as is there's no "easy mode". The 9 minute round would be easiest so I'll assume it's that. "
It is.
#12 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

Just bought Chime, hoping for more good prices on games, so it's new tasks every 48 hours?

#13 Posted by Lukeweizer (2770 posts) -

Quests that involve you buying 3 games every day? No thanks.

#14 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -
@Lukeweizer said:
" Quests that involve you buying 3 games every day? No thanks. "
Well not if you already own them, plus, Chime was stupid cheap
#15 Posted by Forcen (1856 posts) -
@Lukeweizer said:
There might be a good chance that future tasks will be in games you already have?
#16 Posted by Mechwing (265 posts) -

Also. chime sales goes to charity. but at this price, ur like giving 5 cents to charity. but hey everything helps? <.<

#17 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

Does this equal the Steam Holiday sale or are they going to do that separably? 

#18 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

So, basically, I'll have to wait and hope they put games I already have, because I'm definitely not buying anything right now :P 

Well, that'd be a nice surprise. Turning my PC on and seeing I got a free game for doing nothing. Wishful thinking...

#19 Posted by Dalai (7071 posts) -
@Mechwing said:
" Man. u gotta do ALL of them for the last TF2 hat. thats just Mean. "
And lucrative!
#20 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -
@s7evn said:
" Does this equal the Steam Holiday sale or are they going to do that separably?  "
Isn't that over now? I bought a ton of stuff
#21 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

This is bullpoo. Steam fails imo. They gave away 750 games during Thanks Giving and now with this they will give away 100 to 3 people and 5 to 35 people. Overall 1225 games... This is pathetic. D2D already gave away over 2800 games and their thing continues until 31st. Not to mention that Steam has a lot more customers than D2D which makes the chances of winning very, very, very... actually the chances are 0!
No thank you. I will just wait for the christmas sale. I don't care for your "contests".

#22 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@Venatio: That was just their Black Friday sale. :)
#23 Posted by fr0y0 (154 posts) -

Okay, listen up folks, I hate when people get these things wrong: 

Note that you don't have to buy the games if you dont have them. 
It doesn't matter if you can't complete all of them. Each objective is one ticket for the five-games-from-your-wishlist-lottery (20 winners every 48 hours). More objectives just give you a better chance.
Ten objectives make you eligible for the big prize - 100 games of your choice. Have ten objectives and be logged into Steam ob Dec 20th to enter the lottery. Simple as that. 
By the way, if you already have your Steam avatar picture set up (I guess most of you do), you already have one objectives. 

#24 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" @Venatio: That was just their Black Friday sale. :) "
That's great, I'll probably buy another ton of stuff
#25 Posted by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

damn, how easy is the Chime one? I might end up buying it now just so I could get another entry. I mean, I was already thinking of buying it some day

#26 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3715 posts) -

Just bought Chime and Poker Night at the Inventory for under 5 bucks!   
Amazing deal!

#27 Posted by AlisterCat (5727 posts) -

Sweet. I can only do two of them today, and one of them everyone has. Mostly.

#28 Posted by Winternet (8055 posts) -
@HaroldoNVU: It's easy. I got it at my first try. Now never going to play that again :) I am joking. I'll probably look into it whenever I got some spare time. Which may be next year. I have other games to play.  

3 objectives done. I am feeling good. I am thinking I may reach the 10 objectives. But, I assume the first batch of objectives are the easy ones so it makes people thinking "hey this isn't so bad. And I didn't spend all that money." 
#29 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Anyone know how to get the Heavy to bet his gun in Poker Night? He did it once for me but I lost that hand :(

#30 Posted by Mikemcn (7021 posts) -

The secret is that by the end, you have bought 100 games.

#31 Posted by G0DF4TH3R (119 posts) -
@Geno:  just keep playing and it will come up. 
Also I hope more Mac games go on sale because if not then I will be out of luck, T__T
#32 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@G0DF4TH3R said:
" @Geno:  just keep playing and it will come up.  Also I hope more Mac games go on sale because if not then I will be out of luck, T__T "
I got it just now; for anyone else having trouble with this there's a really cheap way to do it: just keep hitting new game at the start of every match. They always bet their item at the start, so if it doesn't show up there just start a new game. Took me about half an hour to get everyone's items. 
#33 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Oh yeah and I just noticed one of their TF2 hats is for 28 objectives; all of them. Will anyone actually get that one I wonder :/ 

#34 Edited by Levio (1786 posts) -

So, if you want to get the best TF2 hat, prepare to buy about 20 games.

: )

EDIT: Oh btw, you know how you gotta log on the 20th to enter?  GUESS WHAT HAPPENS ON THE TWENTIETH.  GUESS.

#35 Edited by Fripplebubby (1028 posts) -

I have the Ruse one, which puts me in the very small minority there. I could get the other two for real cheap, but I don't feel up to playing some games right now. 

#36 Posted by rjayb89 (7729 posts) -

Oh no, they updated Poker Night.  My chances at pummeling the AI are ruined!  I have RUSE so I guess I could try to get that achievement.

#37 Posted by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -
@Winternet:  Thanks. I just bought it for me and a friend and gave it a spin. 880 or so points, But I'll try again tomorrow.
#38 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" actually the chances are 0! "
Nice math.
#39 Posted by BeachThunder (12430 posts) -

=( Sigh, I just want sales, not stuff like this. I'm not going to buy games I don't want just for a minuscule chance at winning 100 other games. I don't even have 100 games from Steam that I want.

#40 Posted by Mcfart (1729 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" =( Sigh, I just want sales, not stuff like this. I'm not going to buy games I don't want just for a minuscule chance at winning 100 other games. I don't even have 100 games from Steam that I want. "
Agreed. This stuff is really lackluster compared to the huge xmas sale they had last year.
#41 Posted by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -
@Mcfart said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" =( Sigh, I just want sales, not stuff like this. I'm not going to buy games I don't want just for a minuscule chance at winning 100 other games. I don't even have 100 games from Steam that I want. "
Agreed. This stuff is really lackluster compared to the huge xmas sale they had last year. "
Well, the games on the treasure hunt are on sale and since it ends on the 20th I guess it's safe to assume we will have another holiday sale soon after this.
#42 Posted by AlisterCat (5727 posts) -

Who said this in place of their Christmas sale? It's good that they are doing giveaways. I bought chime because it was only a pound, I've heard good things about it and a guy on my university course used to be a concept artist for Zoe Mode, the developers that made the game.

#43 Edited by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Oh I see, so I don't have to complete all of today's objectives ... it counts any individual objective each as 1 drawing.  Nice. 
That's pretty crazy, but there aren't 100 games that I want from Steam.  I've already got 100 games and I've pretty much emptied the store out when it comes to things like the id pack or Max Payne bundle or whatever.  but it's crazy to think a few lucky people will be able to totally match my game collection in one swoop for free.

#44 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Guys, this is 100% NOT the Christmas Sale. Christmas sale starts on the 20th, right after this promotion. It said so at the bottom of the Treasure Hunt page until they edited it away. 

#45 Edited by Jeust (10860 posts) -
@Dalai said:

" @Mechwing said:

" Man. u gotta do ALL of them for the last TF2 hat. thats just Mean. "
And lucrative! "
It is a nice offer, still you have probably to buy a lot of games to finish the quest. In the end is worthwhile to the people that get something out of it, still it is probably not going to end up cheap. 
#46 Posted by Toms115 (2317 posts) -
@Lukeweizer said:
or just do the free task they offer. there's no purchase necessary to partake. 
#47 Posted by Winternet (8055 posts) -
@Levio said:
" So, if you want to get the best TF2 hat, prepare to buy about 20 games.

: )

EDIT: Oh btw, you know how you gotta log on the 20th to enter?  GUESS WHAT HAPPENS ON THE TWENTIETH.  GUESS. "
What happens? WHAT? WHAT? Is HL2:EP3 coming out? IS IT?
#48 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -
@Venatio said:
" @s7evn said:
" Does this equal the Steam Holiday sale or are they going to do that separably?  "
Isn't that over now? I bought a ton of stuff "
Last couple of years they have had one after Christmas as well as the Thanksgiving sale I believe.
#49 Posted by Lazyaza (2212 posts) -

I own alot of steam games so this is awesome, I might have a high chance of winning :D

#50 Posted by Hunkulese (2875 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" This is bullpoo. Steam fails imo. They gave away 750 games during Thanks Giving and now with this they will give away 100 to 3 people and 5 to 35 people. Overall 1225 games... This is pathetic. D2D already gave away over 2800 games and their thing continues until 31st. Not to mention that Steam has a lot more customers than D2D which makes the chances of winning very, very, very... actually the chances are 0! No thank you. I will just wait for the christmas sale. I don't care for your "contests". "

In what kind of fucked up world do you live in when a retailer gives away 1000+ free games and you think it's pathetic. How many free games is Best Buy giving away in the next 2 weeks? You also don't have to buy a thing and you can win a 100 new games. Yeah that's pathetic. Shame on steam for giving away free games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.