Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam: Valve's Cut

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ectoplasma

Does anyone have information about how much money Valve takes off of every steam sale made? Like apple takes 30% of everything that is bought on iTunes. Would be glad if someone could provide a link. I'm buying heavily on steam and I would like to see how I can let the developers profit the best.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

No one knows such a thing besides valve. They won't even disclose how many copies they sold for online distribution.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Daveyo520

This would be interesting to find out.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta

what I do know is that when some guy from gearbox said that they were exploiting indie developers, a bunch of those guys defended valve so I don't think they take too much.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/10/12/the-steamy-issue-of-digital-distribution/

here's the article if you wanna read

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By Forcen

The exact numbers are not avaliable for the public, Tripwire has though commented on the rates before.

"Without breaking any non-disclosure agreements, let me just say that our royalty deal was great, and is in line with what I understand that other digital distribution services are offering. We were able to recoup our development costs for our first game within the first week of sales, and sales were straight profit from that point on."

http://www.destructoid.com/tripwire-valve-absolutely-not-exploiting-steam-devs-151832.phtml
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6  Edited By mrhankey
    @Laketown: I wouldn't take what Gearbox's dude said at full face value...you have people that think steam takes too much of a cut where as some indie developers love steam.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By DanielJW

Whew. I was worried my pristine image of Valve and it's suspiciously god-like services might be sullied.

russcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By russcat

Obviously I'm speculating, but I would imagine after you remove manufacturing costs, distribution costs, retail's cut, etc. whatever Steam takes will seem pretty reasonable.

Riotisonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Riotisonfire

Pitchford makes good points how a developer and a distribution center being the same company can be a problem. Valve does make it known that their games have never gone without a front page showing. And it does make sense for Pitchford to be worried about small developers because they do not pull in the majority of the money. But steam makes a very good effort to make people at least look at indie games. Just look how many free weekends killing floor has had.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mike

30% seems about right, I've heard from multiple developers that's what Microsoft takes off the top of Xbox Live Marketplace sales.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Daveyo520
    @MB: That isn't too bad. Valve still needs to make money and the devs still get most of it.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By BabyChooChoo

HAHAHAAHA, Valve isn't in it to make money. They're clearly run by crazy people...awesome crazy people judging by the sales they have. 

But in all seriousness I think 20ish% is about right.

Riotisonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Riotisonfire

Regardless of the percent they get. Say valve and a different developer make two games that would be considered rivals to each other. Say both games are to be released on steam. Which one do you think will see more front page coverage on steam? 

I think that is Randy Pitchford's concern. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.