Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam Wants Me In The Poorhouse

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

Edited By daavpuke

It's official! My first purchase through Steam has finally clamored my descent into absolute destitution. Being able to purchase things at the drop of a (TF2 reference) hat is by far the worst idea ever for consumers. And I mean that only in the sense that our sense of fickle consumerism makes us buy much more than we need. Cue my newest additions.

As you can see, I'm finally the proud owner of Torchlight, where I can act out my Hack 'n Slash (now Action RPG) dreams. Just for the hell of it and because Steam suckered me in with their low, low price, I also bought into Tropico 3. And I didn't just go for the regular one, oh no; Steam marketing agents know exactly how to get sheep like me in line. Ergo, I went for the complete package, since I was going to go for it down the line anyway.

So here we are, mere moments before my irresponsible spending ushers in my downfall. With a digital outlet that lets me legally own all the games I want for pennies, I'm bound to be on the streets before long. This is all because my low impulse control is no match for a fraudulent need for materialism. I'm a consumer whore, but at least I'm upfront about it. None if this is necessary, but I do it anyway.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By daavpuke

It's official! My first purchase through Steam has finally clamored my descent into absolute destitution. Being able to purchase things at the drop of a (TF2 reference) hat is by far the worst idea ever for consumers. And I mean that only in the sense that our sense of fickle consumerism makes us buy much more than we need. Cue my newest additions.

As you can see, I'm finally the proud owner of Torchlight, where I can act out my Hack 'n Slash (now Action RPG) dreams. Just for the hell of it and because Steam suckered me in with their low, low price, I also bought into Tropico 3. And I didn't just go for the regular one, oh no; Steam marketing agents know exactly how to get sheep like me in line. Ergo, I went for the complete package, since I was going to go for it down the line anyway.

So here we are, mere moments before my irresponsible spending ushers in my downfall. With a digital outlet that lets me legally own all the games I want for pennies, I'm bound to be on the streets before long. This is all because my low impulse control is no match for a fraudulent need for materialism. I'm a consumer whore, but at least I'm upfront about it. None if this is necessary, but I do it anyway.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn

I bought the same thing!

Oh, and I also bought STALKER Call of Pripyat, Assassins Creed brohood and Men of War Assault Squad. Welcome to Steam!!!

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

Steam makes me depressed because I see games I want for cheap but I don't have a good computer to run them :(

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Afroman269

I only bought stuff on the first day of the sale. I'm doing fine so far.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By daavpuke
    @Mikemcn: Awesome. And @RE_Player92: I would've also bought Transformers, but alas I feel your pain. That's also my issue right now :(. Luckily, it keeps me from buying even more stuff. Now I have to pry myself away from Flight Control, which is ridiculously priced at 1 buck..
    Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Master_Funk

so far iv spent around 13 quid on 5 pretty great games so im happy

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sanity

i think i'v spent around 60-70 bucks.... Not horrible considering just how many games i got...

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Badhands

I bought one game the first day for $4.99. Since that once purchase I have spent $170 on steam..... only what one or two more days to go right? hah going to try and keep it under $200

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By project343

$56 in. 

Only 5 days to go. :|

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Cincaid

@RE_Player92 said:

Steam makes me depressed because I see games I want for cheap but I don't have a good computer to run them :(

Indeed. :(

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By daavpuke
    @Badhands: Wow, nice. If I could recommend any big purchase, it would be the 2K package. That one is just ridiculously cheap, even at 80 bucks.

Good to see some spending going on on GB. And as @Slayer22 says, you're getting great games in return. Looking forward to today's deals.
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By YoungFrey

I'm at $97.72. But the haul has been mighty.  And I haven't bought anything I don't want (well I got a few games I don't care about in a bundle but it wascheaper than any other way to get the games I did want. The Steam sales are a devilishly executed plot to make people buy stuff they might not normally get.  You could pretty much teach a psychology of sales class just on how Steam does things.  
    Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Badhands

@Daavpuke: Yeah I actually really have been thinking about that as my last non daily deal purchase, I already own Borderlands GOTY and Bioshock 1,2. But Civ V with all DLC and Mafia 2 and stuff would be good to get for only $75

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Pibo47
    @RE_Player92 said:

Same. I can barely run amnesia:the dark descent. I have to use my dads computer to even play sc2 lol
    daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By daavpuke
    @Badhands: Don't forget Duke Nukem Forever. Even if it's crap, it is a brand new release.
    ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ckeats

I made my first purchase at the start of the sale. Now I'm up to 76 games and have spent $129.93. Right now, all I have is a Macbook pro, and 27 of these games are unplayable on mac, so this sale has prompted me to start saving to build a new PC.

I expect to buy many more games before this is over.

Edit: I also hit my bandwidth cap yesterday, so I can't even download any of the new games till the 13th. Fuck

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.