Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam Withdrawal

NorthernFredz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By NorthernFredz

As a relative newcomer to the Steam store page, I was amazed this Christmas at the deals that were available. Come 5pm GMT I would be refreshing the store homepage like a madman dying to see what the deals would be for the next 24hrs. I picked up over 15 games and it would have been more had I not hit the financial wall. As the days clocked over I became more and more aware of the fact that the deals were eventually going to end. These kind of things don't hang around forever but I, probably in  a vain attempt to keep it together, convinced myself that Steam would still throw a few deals my way a week. How wrong I was. 

Now at this point I feel I need to state the fact that I think that Steam, as a whole, provides an excellent service with many of its titles being offered at good, reasonable prices. It is far superior to all the other download clients out there, not that this is a particularly mean feat what with EA and GFWL both treating you like you were born yesterday. Anyway. I think this weekend's deal of Dirt 2 for £14.99 is a corker especially as it has achievements but I WANT MORE. I run the risk of sounding like Veruca Salt but god damn it I want deals all the time. 

I feel like a crackwhore needing my next fix. My conditioning, mindlessly leading me back to the Steam homepage everyday. Like putty in Valve's hands I wait to be shaped by whatever deal they throw my way. Clearly, I don't need a metaphor game. Although, if you are reading this people of Steam, I would not complain if you were to put a game based on or requiring the use of metaphors as a deal. I just don't understand why they don't just put Bioshock down to £3.49 forever. In fact, if they did it forever, I probably wouldn't buy it because I would be too worried that it might get put as a deal and heaven forbid I buy a game at its normal already discounted but not sale price. Stung by the fiery tale of a discounted Torchlight at £7.49 only to see it further reduced to £3.49 days later, my lesson has been learnt cruel Steam Gods.

So, how is everyone else coping? Also, does Steam do any other holiday deals? I know Burn's Night is only just around the corner. That's a pretty major holiday right? Anyway, hopefully most of you are coping better than me and if you a seasoned vet at Steam let me know if this painful withdrawal gets any easier as the months go by.

Freddie

NorthernFredz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By NorthernFredz

As a relative newcomer to the Steam store page, I was amazed this Christmas at the deals that were available. Come 5pm GMT I would be refreshing the store homepage like a madman dying to see what the deals would be for the next 24hrs. I picked up over 15 games and it would have been more had I not hit the financial wall. As the days clocked over I became more and more aware of the fact that the deals were eventually going to end. These kind of things don't hang around forever but I, probably in  a vain attempt to keep it together, convinced myself that Steam would still throw a few deals my way a week. How wrong I was. 

Now at this point I feel I need to state the fact that I think that Steam, as a whole, provides an excellent service with many of its titles being offered at good, reasonable prices. It is far superior to all the other download clients out there, not that this is a particularly mean feat what with EA and GFWL both treating you like you were born yesterday. Anyway. I think this weekend's deal of Dirt 2 for £14.99 is a corker especially as it has achievements but I WANT MORE. I run the risk of sounding like Veruca Salt but god damn it I want deals all the time. 

I feel like a crackwhore needing my next fix. My conditioning, mindlessly leading me back to the Steam homepage everyday. Like putty in Valve's hands I wait to be shaped by whatever deal they throw my way. Clearly, I don't need a metaphor game. Although, if you are reading this people of Steam, I would not complain if you were to put a game based on or requiring the use of metaphors as a deal. I just don't understand why they don't just put Bioshock down to £3.49 forever. In fact, if they did it forever, I probably wouldn't buy it because I would be too worried that it might get put as a deal and heaven forbid I buy a game at its normal already discounted but not sale price. Stung by the fiery tale of a discounted Torchlight at £7.49 only to see it further reduced to £3.49 days later, my lesson has been learnt cruel Steam Gods.

So, how is everyone else coping? Also, does Steam do any other holiday deals? I know Burn's Night is only just around the corner. That's a pretty major holiday right? Anyway, hopefully most of you are coping better than me and if you a seasoned vet at Steam let me know if this painful withdrawal gets any easier as the months go by.

Freddie

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shirogane

You know the worst part? 
    You probably dont' end up playing half those games.
    XivSpew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By XivSpew

I dabbled in Steam in bits and pieces, but this holiday sale destroyed my wallet.  Thankfully, I limited myself to games that i actually want to play and am still playig after the sale, and even grabbed a few indie games i needed an excuse to buy (Osmos, Chains).  But yeah, fire sales are evil, especially when things can be bought with a few clicks rather than fighting the crowds at an actual retail store.  Do yourself a favor and force yourself to play the things you spent real money on semi-regularly, at least until you can't stand them anymore.  Even if they're utter shit, you'll either A. realize that the next time a crazy sale goes on, you'll know better than to buy without thinking, or B. the game you bought is actually worth playing, and you got your money's worth.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Boxed copies through amazon, cheap and allows me to actually finish the games I buy since I won't go crazy buying a ridiculous amount of licenses to games I forgot I owned. Economically sensible.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By 71Ranchero

I didnt do too bad. I got maybe 7 games and the only stinkers are Riddick and Mirrors Edge.  

Steam does weekend and mid week sales along with Holiday sales.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#6  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

My wallet is still in a corner, with its knees drawn up to its faux leather chest, weeping silently at the damage I did to it through Steam's holiday sales.  Hi, I'm Sparky, and I'm addicted to cheap ass games.  I've got a backlog of, oh, a bajillion games, and damn it, I want more.
    Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Carlos

I got like over 30 games during the crazy sells, will probably just finish 2 or 3 of them though :D

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Darkstar614

Yeah I'm kind of bummed that not much is on sale anymore. I I think I've played everything I've bought on Steam so far, with the exception of Prince of Persia. I gotta finish Fallout 3 goty edition first!

I do always watch the sales though and jump on anything interesting, assuming I want to play it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.