The Giant Bomb steamgifts.com Giveaway Thread

#51 Posted by Hamst3r (4563 posts) -

@QuantumPilot: As giveaways are added to the site, 5% of each game's worth is dispersed to everyone (except the creator of the giveaway).

#52 Posted by crimsinf (148 posts) -
#53 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

allright, i'm giving away HALF-LIFE 2. If you are one of the 1% who haven't played the game already, there's a good chance you'll win :P

#54 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
#55 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1602 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp said:

@Captain_Felafel said:

Well this is... fuck.

Your account has been verified, with 299 games, valued at $3,421.37.

I feel ya duder...

Your account has been verified, with 411 games, valued at $4,550.48.

So, I had two copies of the Ship with the single player in my steam inventory.

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/eUSgd/the-ship-complete-pack

Starting on tuesday and ending the following tuesday!

We should get help...

#56 Posted by Brake (1126 posts) -
#57 Posted by Deathshroud (371 posts) -

This is really amazing . I am so excited to use this. I have really been loving steam but I can't always get games I want. Now I can have a chance and give back as well. :D

#58 Posted by Mendelson9 (408 posts) -

I think ill just give away most of the games I get here now. Before I would trade them for others games (I got Dirt 3 during the winter holiday steam sale after trading coal and a copy of Half-Life and Just Cause 1) but its such a hassle to find people. This is great since you know your games are going to a Giant Bomb person and not a stranger.

#59 Posted by monssfisch (45 posts) -

Thanks for starting this up, and for introducing me to steamgifts.com. Now my surplus copy of The Oddboxxcan finally find a good home.

#60 Posted by Bollard (5843 posts) -
#61 Posted by Winternet (8053 posts) -

So the only way to see which giveaways are from our community is if it's posted on this thread? There should be a better way, but this will work. I'll see if I can give anything away

#62 Edited by omergd1 (118 posts) -
#63 Posted by RareMonkey (110 posts) -
#64 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Sweet thx for the link as this is a great way of giving away gifts on steam.

#65 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

I've never really understood how the Steam gift system works. Do you have to have more than one copy of a game for it to be considered a gift? Cause I've purposely made an effort not to re-buy the same video games over and over.

#66 Posted by JOURN3Y (230 posts) -
#67 Posted by RareMonkey (110 posts) -
#68 Posted by Valestis (212 posts) -
#69 Posted by AlisterCat (5722 posts) -

Wish I still had stuff to give away!

#70 Posted by ezekielzero (183 posts) -
#71 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

I think I have some spare games as Steam keys, I'll give away if I find them.

#72 Posted by MachoFantastico (4889 posts) -

Okay think I've done this right: 

HALF LIFE 2  

For anyone who might not own it... which can't be many.  

HALF LIFE 2: EPISODE ONE

Again, a game I'm sure pretty much all own but you never know. 
#73 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

@Jrinswand: When you go to buy something that you've already bought it will only offer it as a gift option for someone else. Some games like Puzzle Agent or The Ship come with extra copies of the game to gift away. As for managing the gifts you just go into that part of steam (under games in top toolbar) & can enter in someone's username/email to send that to them, from that they just activate it on their system & it's done. Expecting that the site is handling the raffle giveaways the same way. Too bad when done with some games you can't gift them to other people, there's a few I picked up on bundles/sales that I just were not finding too fun but happy to give them away.

#74 Posted by EvilTheSlayer (15 posts) -

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/9JwAZ/orion-dino-beatdown

Time to get rid of some extra games slowly.

#75 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -
@fox01313 said:

@Jrinswand: When you go to buy something that you've already bought it will only offer it as a gift option for someone else. Some games like Puzzle Agent or The Ship come with extra copies of the game to gift away. As for managing the gifts you just go into that part of steam (under games in top toolbar) & can enter in someone's username/email to send that to them, from that they just activate it on their system & it's done. Expecting that the site is handling the raffle giveaways the same way. Too bad when done with some games you can't gift them to other people, there's a few I picked up on bundles/sales that I just were not finding too fun but happy to give them away.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I have absolutely nothing to gift away then. I would love to give away some stuff but I don't have any duplicates. All the gifts I've ever gotten have been bought intentionally for the purpose of being gifts. I usually give all those away to family members. Sorry guys.

Also, with this steamgifts.com giveaway business, is it essentially like pulling names out of a hat?
#76 Edited by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

@Hamst3r: So I've discovered a method to (more-or-less) display just the giveaways limited to the Steam Group. There is a browser addon called the Steam Gifts Enhancement Addon that adds a bunch of functionality to the site. You can install it here. Then on the Steamgifts.com homepage there will be a bunch of filtering options for the list of games. Uncheck everything apart from "Group" and it will only display giveaways exclusive to steam groups you're a member of. Not exactly the same as only displaying Giant Bomb group giveaways, but for the majority of people it'll be just as good. Might be worth adding that to the OP.

#77 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

@Jrinswand: Yes, once you register on the site it is a raffle but found some that have less than 100 entries so better chance to win. Some of the indie bundles right now are going for 1 point on a collection of games. The points won from the raffles go out to everyone so if you sign up now you can check it later in the day if you don't have enough. Most of the games are 20 points or less & easy to search for them. Best to have your wishlist handy to quickly look. Also just found out that if you go to your entries, you can refund the points on a game if you realize it's not the right one & put on something else. GLHB!

#78 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Your account has been verified, with 279 games, valued at $3,661.52.

Teeheehee.

#79 Posted by darkvare (780 posts) -

so let me see if i understand
i buy a game i buy it as a gift or how exactly do i make it a giveaway?

#80 Posted by Brake (1126 posts) -
#81 Posted by RareMonkey (110 posts) -

@MattyFTM: Now this is useful, only have 1 other group that does this so basically just giant bomb give aways

#82 Edited by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

@darkvare: There's an option on the giveaway toolbar (near your profile) that you can just gift something on steam & set a time period to give a game to someone.

#83 Posted by Kill (298 posts) -

I've been entering all of these. It's great fun and quite addictive! Thanks for the heads-up Hamst3r!

#84 Posted by Happenstance (468 posts) -

Great idea, thanks to everyone who has gifted so far.

#85 Posted by djbunglesbob1 (9 posts) -

Great Idea. I chipped in a copy of the gory Zombie Driver (ends Wed. night)

#86 Posted by RareMonkey (110 posts) -
#87 Posted by Phatmac (5727 posts) -

Thanks guys! Hope to win a few games. :)

#88 Posted by Knibbly (107 posts) -
#89 Posted by ajamafalous (12154 posts) -

Your account has been verified, with 468 games, valued at $4,999.00.

:/
#90 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

You guys, I checked out the forums and the community on that site. It was a huge mistake. My advice: if you're going to use steamgifts, stay away from the forums.

#91 Posted by Vager (1654 posts) -
#92 Posted by Hamst3r (4563 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

@Hamst3r: So I've discovered a method to (more-or-less) display just the giveaways limited to the Steam Group. There is a browser addon called the Steam Gifts Enhancement Addon that adds a bunch of functionality to the site. You can install it here. Then on the Steamgifts.com homepage there will be a bunch of filtering options for the list of games. Uncheck everything apart from "Group" and it will only display giveaways exclusive to steam groups you're a member of. Not exactly the same as only displaying Giant Bomb group giveaways, but for the majority of people it'll be just as good. Might be worth adding that to the OP.

Awesome! I will add a note about it to the OP. :D

#93 Edited by QuantumPilot (86 posts) -

So, the guys running steamgifts don't like beta keys so be careful putting those up.

#94 Posted by c_rakestraw (854 posts) -
#95 Edited by NinjaPartTime (25 posts) -
#96 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Agreed with others on steamgifts being highly addictive & now waiting days/weeks for all those raffles to be done...curses :P.

#97 Posted by Redsox44 (487 posts) -

@fox01313: Don't get your hopes up. :)

I doubt I'll win any but it's a much better chance than the ones not in the GB group so I hope I get lucky!

#98 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -
#99 Posted by Sin4profit (3003 posts) -

@Hamst3r: tried to create a gift copy of Max Payne but it just refreshed the "create a giveaway" page.

@nintendoeats said:

This is going to be very useful around Christmas, but there is something fun about sending out PMs and such...

Yeah, i found that when i gave away games through my GB blog that it was more personally fulfilling then when i gave away gifts through the system.

#100 Edited by Xerxes8933A (227 posts) -

Tossed up a couple copies of Renegade Ops from the X-mas sale error.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.