Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

The Mega Steam End o' Year Sale Discussion Thread!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#551  Edited By Kiri90

Far Cry 3 is mine!

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#552  Edited By GabrielCantor

Man, a bit ago I probably would have bought Far Cry 3, but with so much other stuff I already bought (Sleeping Dogs, XCOM) I feel like I might as well wait until the next sale rolls around and it'll probably be even cheaper.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#553  Edited By BeachThunder

o_O I just realised I didn't have Doom 1 or 2. I have remedied that now.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#554  Edited By Xeirus

@Kiri90 said:

Far Cry 3 is mine!

Same, YESSSS

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#555  Edited By BoG

Is Age of Empires III fun? I loved the second game, but when it was released, my computer couldn't handle III. Is it good? Because I bought it.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#556  Edited By Xeirus

@BoG said:

Is Age of Empires III fun? I loved the second game, but when it was released, my computer couldn't handle III. Is it good? Because I bought it.

I was thinking about it too, can you let me know please :)

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#557  Edited By Xeirus

@Epidehl said:

Man, a bit ago I probably would have bought Far Cry 3, but with so much other stuff I already bought (Sleeping Dogs, XCOM) I feel like I might as well wait until the next sale rolls around and it'll probably be even cheaper.

I'm glad I bought XCOM when it came out, I'm just now getting around to Saints Row 3, so that's sort of my version of Sleeping Dogs.

I kept telling myself to wait for a sale on FC3 and they did it, I couldn't resist.

Jeffmoocow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#558  Edited By Jeffmoocow

I think I got basically everything I wanted from this sale now? I bought Darksiders II, the Thief bundle, Sleeping Dogs, Mark of the Ninja and now Far Cry 3.

Pretty happy with this sale, now I just need to actually play these games.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#559  Edited By TheHT

Now that Far Cry 3 is on sale, I'm not entirely sure I want it. I think the bubble's burst on that one. Maybe when it's 10-20 bucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@TheHT: I kind of agree with you. Far Cry and Far Cry 2 are still waiting in the wings anyway.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#561  Edited By Subjugation

@BoG: @Xeirus: I bought it back at release and enjoyed it a fair bit. Since then I have unfortunately lost (lolphysicalmedia) the discs so I'll probably be buying this seeing as how it includes the expansions as well. As for details on the game, I think this comment I read on reddit sums it up pretty fairly:

By far the best RTS I've ever played. Everyone circlejerks about ages 2 on reddit, but the truth is that none of them play the game anymore and that it's nowhere near as good as everyone acts like it is. For the time, it was fantastic. But the game comes down to little more than spamming units out of as many barracks as you can make. This makes online play just plain aggravating, and takes the strategy out of it. There are still some fun forms of the game you can play (CBA's on Gameranger and such), but the game just isn't fun unless you enjoy constantly spamming units with little regard to strategy. Ages 3 changed everything.
    Originally, Ages 3 sucked. It was an unimpressive new game that only had 8 civs, decent graphics, and some wonky combat. Going back and playing it, I'm not sure what it is, the combat just seems a bit awkward. The game made a big leap forward with the Warchiefs expansion, which brought in 3 native civs, Sioux, Aztecs, and Iroquois. They expanded the use of trade routes and the combat got a bit less wonky. Eventually, they announced The Asian Dynasties, which I believe is the greatest expansion to ever be made. This didn't just add a few new units, it changed the actual game. The combat feels perfect, the graphics look better than ever, and the 3 new civs, japs, chinese, and Indians, add a great dynamic.
    One of the biggest changes in combat is the damage modifiers. Most rts games have them, but you can actually see the stats for your units in this. You can see their resists and bonuses, which helps a lot when planning out an army. Also, the type of units you choose are essential to surviving. They've done some pretty good balancing in the game, and the damage modifiers have made it so that you have to play strategically. You can't just spam units out and expect to win like in ages 2, you'll just waste resources when a cannon takes out all of your muskets. Each civ has their own fighting style, unique units, and unique upgrades. The homecity allows you to send "cards" or shipments once you get enough experience (from building or fighting). This allows you to customize your play style and focus more on unit upgrades, unit shipments, resource shipments, or resource gathering improvements.
    I cannot stress how good a of a deal this is. People still play on the official ESO servers, and you can also play on Gameranger. I paid $110 total for the games, and I've never regretted it. I'm incredibly cheap, and I'm very critical of games, but I still consider this to be one of the best games I've ever purchased. It's a whole new game to learn, but it's worth the time, and I can always help people out by posting strategies that really work.
    tl;dr, Ages 3 is one of the best RTS games ever, and a steal at this price. Buy it.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#562  Edited By BoG

@Subjugation: Thanks for the link. Based on that, I'll jump right in to the third expansion. I did play a little bit, and it was fun.

I have one HUGE COMPLAINT, though. Seville. That isn't Seville. I have been to Seville. Who do the developers think they are, putting the city of Florence in the game and calling it Seville? My Spanish ancestors* are deeply offended by this.

*I don't have Spanish ancestors

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#563  Edited By Ben_H  Online
    @Ben_H said:

So tempted to buy Far Cry 3. It is my only time off now until summer so it is the perfect time to play it. Must resist... must resist...

@Ben_H said:

Ugh I want to get Far Cry 3 after seeing the GOTY video yesterday, but it isn't on sale. Must stay strong, must stay strong...

IT IS TIME 

Edit: AoE3 is a good RTS. I am a long time RTS player (since I was 7) and I found it quite fun. That reddit thingy is BS though, there is more depth to AoE2 than what they said there. There is still an AoE2 community who play the game competitively (very competitively) and have modded it to work with modern resolutions and whatnot (last I checked there was even a team remaking the game essentially). I got introduced to the community through Team Liquid and have been watching streams of it for a while now. I still put AoE2 above AoE3 but that doesn't mean AoE3 is a bad game. And yes I have all the expansions for both.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#564  Edited By Soap

I caved and bought Far Cry 3 on disk the day before it hit steam in the UK.

I'm really tempted to get it again now it's on sale, but does anyone know if I will just be able to sign in with my already existing Uplay account and play my cloud saves from my disk copy? Or will I have to have a new account and start it again!?

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#565  Edited By Raethen

May, Greenman Gaming has been killing it. I got Sleeping Dogs for $8 earlier in the week, I missed out on XCOM from $17 because i broke down and bought it through GameFly for $22, and now they have Civ V Gods and Kings for $3. That's fucking crazy. I've been wanting to grab Dark Souls from Amazon for a little over half off, but I'm worried GMG will put it on sale for way cheaper the next day like with XCOM.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#566  Edited By jacdg

That AoE3 looks interesting, still, I have Shogun 2, XCOM and Dawn of War 2 still waiting to be played, I think I'm covered when it comes to strategy games.

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#567  Edited By Killercombo

@Soap: Steam is basicly a pointless shell as it instantly opens UPlay and it does the rest: while it is not guaranteed I think it will be fine, plus you would get a CD-Key from Steam so you could give it to a friend for co-op/sell it on and keep your save and those all important UPlay points too

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#568  Edited By Subjugation

@Ben_H: Yeah, I find plenty of hyperbole in reddit comments, but I figured it would be mostly true when talking about AoE III, not so much AoE II. I understand that AoE II is plenty complex; it's one of my favorite games of all time. I just happen to think that AoE III is a great game as well but never got the expansions so I couldn't offer commentary on them.

Rest in peace Ensemble ... </3

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#569  Edited By Soap

@Killercombo said:

@Soap: Steam is basicly a pointless shell as it instantly opens UPlay and it does the rest: while it is not guaranteed I think it will be fine, plus you would get a CD-Key from Steam so you could give it to a friend for co-op/sell it on and keep your save and those all important UPlay points too

So I bit the bullet and just bought it, turns out steam opens Uplay and then Uplay asks for the key, even though I already have a copy of far cry 3 registered to that account. I wonder if it's worth getting in contact with Uplay support...

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#570  Edited By HaroldoNVU
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#571  Edited By musubi

Fuck I was doing so good then I just now fell off the train to the tune of $13 buying Analogue: A hate story , Hotline Miami and Cherry Tree High Comedy Club. Can I never escape a steam sale unscathed? I mostly blame and for continuously blabbing about Analogue. How dare you con me out of my hard earned $2.49 with your bloggy blogs and all their praise.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#572  Edited By mellotronrules

yeah- i finally caved and bought mark of the ninja for $7.50. that brings the tally to arkham city GOTY for 7.50, universe sandbox for 2.49, dead island GOTY for 6.79, xcom (via gamefly) for 22.50, xcom's elite soldier dlc for 3.75 and mark of the ninja for 7.50.

at a total of $50.51, i think i'm spent. unless kotor2 goes back on sale...DAMN YOU STEAM!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#573  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Soap said:

@Killercombo said:

So I bit the bullet and just bought it, turns out steam opens Uplay and then Uplay asks for the key, even though I already have a copy of far cry 3 registered to that account. I wonder if it's worth getting in contact with Uplay support...

Why did you buy it again?

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#574  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Ben_H said:

@Ben_H said:

So tempted to buy Far Cry 3. It is my only time off now until summer so it is the perfect time to play it. Must resist... must resist...

@Ben_H said:

Ugh I want to get Far Cry 3 after seeing the GOTY video yesterday, but it isn't on sale. Must stay strong, must stay strong...

IT IS TIME Edit: AoE3 is a good RTS. I am a long time RTS player (since I was 7) and I found it quite fun. That reddit thingy is BS though, there is more depth to AoE2 than what they said there. There is still an AoE2 community who play the game competitively (very competitively) and have modded it to work with modern resolutions and whatnot (last I checked there was even a team remaking the game essentially). I got introduced to the community through Team Liquid and have been watching streams of it for a while now. I still put AoE2 above AoE3 but that doesn't mean AoE3 is a bad game. And yes I have all the expansions for both.

AOE 1 and 2 where the 1st online games I played, used to own at AOE2 on Zone.com with my 56k connection. Never played AOE3 so am tempted to get it again and dominate with my Briton archers again.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#575  Edited By Soap

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Soap said:

@Killercombo said:

Why did you buy it again?

Because I'm insane and bad at managing money? :D

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#576  Edited By HaroldoNVU

So, if you have bought some games on Amazon in december you probably have a couple $5 discount coupons to spend on the 2012 Editor's Choice Games.

I hoped I'd get to use them all towards a single game but since they're no really a code, they are coupons automatically added to your cart when you add one of those games, and you can only use on at a time. Still, I got a good deal on The Secret World and Hotline Miami ($ 2.50!). BTW, is there a Giant Bomb guild on TSW?

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#577  Edited By Killercombo

I still have £20 on my account but its another bad day for me :(

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#578  Edited By mike

Tropico 4 really is $5.99 right now. I ran into a bug of some sort where if you go to the game's page, the price shows $10.99 or something, but when added to cart the price drops back down to the $5.99 price advertised on the home page.

Shit, I just realized I brought another game.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#579  Edited By galiant

Steam has me. Three more days...I've bought so much already. Love and hate.

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#580  Edited By HaroldoNVU

Aaaand I bought XCOM on Amazon. 50% off and I got to use one of my $5 coupons. Damn, I should really stop. Way way too many games to play.

EDIT: aaaaand I just bought Spec Ops. I have a problem.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#581  Edited By Brake

I don't think there's gonna be anything else I'm gonna buy, so my final list for this sale is:

• FTL
    • Trine 2
    • Introversion Pack
    • Far Cry 3
    • The Binding of Isaac
    DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#583  Edited By DjCmeP

CS GO was supposed to be -50% and it's been -25% during the whole community vote sale time and it says 50+ hours remaining. I wanted buy the game and now I have to wait again.

EDIT:

Wow! When I type the name of the game letter by letter the price of it changes. Valve FIX THIS! People on the Steam forums are talking about this too.

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#584  Edited By HaroldoNVU

Little more than an hour to until GOG's holiday promo ends.

From them I bought XIII (which is now removed from catalogue), The Journeyman Project 3. Also the City Builder's Special and Daedalic Adventures bundles. Amazingly enough I got a message from them on Twitter saying I won a game and I could choose anything from their site. I picked Deponia 2.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#585  Edited By DjCmeP

OK. They changed the price finally back to -50% at the last minute and I bought it. Yay!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#586  Edited By musubi

Okay, what the fuck Legend of Grimrock just won the last community vote and when I refreshed the page Serious Sam who wasn't even in the voting is the deal. What in the holy fuck just went on?! I want my -75% off Grimrock!

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#587  Edited By Raethen

@Demoskinos: Serious Sam was the previous winner. Grimrock is on sale now.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#588  Edited By musubi

@Raethen: Yeah I saw that now.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#589  Edited By Kidavenger

They just put up today's deals (pick up Sleeping Dogs if you haven't already), tomorrow will likely be a bestsellers encore so that's probably it for me.

I ended up buying more than I expected

Assassin's Creed III, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Hitman: Absolution, The Amazing Spider-Man, To the Moon, I Am Alive, Little Inferno, Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods & Kings.

Played and finished AC3 already and liked it, Scribblenauts was a disappointment, it really is just a kids game, not bad but not for me.

The constant repeating of daily deals and flash sales made the sale a bit more boring than it had been in the past.

I was hoping that Jurassic Park would be a daily, I'm very interested in playing after finishing the Walking Dead; they seem very similar mechanically so now I'm wondering why the response was so different between the two. I'll probably end up buying it anyway...

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#590  Edited By BoatDrinks

I was so disappointed when I didn't pick up Sleeping Dogs when it was on sale, glad they discounted it again

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#591  Edited By AlexW00d

Still not bought anything other than Rainbow Six 3 to get some multiplayer in. I own everything I would realistically want :(

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#592  Edited By TheHT

@Kidavenger said:

They just put up today's deals (pick up Sleeping Dogs if you haven't already), tomorrow will likely be a bestsellers encore so that's probably it for me.

If you look at games on sale that aren't part of a flash sale, community choice, or daily sale, there's a timer showing only 23 hours left, so there may not be a full day of deals tomorrow.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#593  Edited By Animasta

gosh, I need to find someone to trade me the Civ 5 expansion and that's basically all I needed from this sale (that and dark souls which I already have).

UGH.

I hate finding people to trade with

edit; anyone want my GB store code for the expansion? hahaha

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#594  Edited By Kidavenger

@TheHT: Good to know, I kind of expected them to do a bestsellers weekend because they normally end these sales on Mondays, this one has gone on a lot longer than normal though.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#595  Edited By C0V3RT

Barring any can't pass up deals, I ended up with...

- 30 Flights of Loving

- Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers

- Little Inferno

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#596  Edited By cornbredx

Weird. I saw sleeping dogs up for 16.99 
    I had to snatch that but I think it was a mistake cus it was not 16.99 on my wish list and after I bought it its a different price now on the steam page 
    Weird. 

Edit: It's showing 16.99 now. I don't know. Something weird going on with that games price. It keeps changing.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#597  Edited By Mister_V

Picked up Mark of the Ninja yesterday and have just bought Max payne 3 to see if will enjoy it more with a mouse + keyboard. I'm glad I have decent internet as that game is huge!!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#598  Edited By Kidavenger

Announcement - Valve

13:59

Gamers will have a final opportunity to get their favorite games on Steam. A select number of the most sought-after titles from the Steam Holiday Sale will reprise their biggest discounts for two additional days. The Encore Weekend begins at 10am PST on January 5th (Saturday) and run until 10am PST on January 7th (Monday).

Check out the Steam homepage for more information!

-----

So looks like today is the last day for regular deals but most of the good stuff will continue throughout the weekend.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#599  Edited By jacdg

@Kidavenger said:

Announcement - Valve

13:59

Gamers will have a final opportunity to get their favorite games on Steam. A select number of the most sought-after titles from the Steam Holiday Sale will reprise their biggest discounts for two additional days. The Encore Weekend begins at 10am PST on January 5th (Saturday) and run until 10am PST on January 7th (Monday).

Check out the Steam homepage for more information!

-----

So looks like today is the last day for regular deals but most of the good stuff will continue throughout the weekend.

Good stuff!

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#600  Edited By Killercombo

Lego LotR, Dishonoured and TWD are flash deals.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.