The Mega Steam End o' Year Sale Discussion Thread!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#601 Posted by BeachThunder (12403 posts) -

Well, I guess that's it. If you haven't seen something you want on a Flash Sale/Community Choice/Daily Deal, then now is the time to pick it up.

#602 Posted by Time_Lord (723 posts) -
  • THQ Collection
  • Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai Collection

• The Darkness 2
  • LA Noire
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® Game of the Year Edition
  • And the Tropico 4 DLC

Every time I say there is nothing I want then I spend a hundred or so on games each sale that there is a good chance I may never play.

#604 Posted by CaptainThunderpants (79 posts) -

Doom 3

Doom 2

Masters Levels for Doom 2

Max Payne 3

Spec Ops

KOTOR 2

#605 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

Picked up Binary Domain and Torchlight 2. Thought about getting 30 Flights of Loving but I decided to wait tell after the sale to buy that, give the dude more money. I love non-linear stories, dude deserves a few extra bucks for bringing that to games.

#606 Posted by BeachThunder (12403 posts) -

@thabigred said:

Picked up Binary Domain and Torchlight 2. Thought about getting 30 Flights of Loving but I decided to wait tell after the sale to buy that, give the dude more money. I love non-linear stories, dude deserves a few extra bucks for bringing that to games.

Buy a copy; then buy another to gift to someone else :P

#607 Posted by Kidavenger (3627 posts) -
@thabigred do you also like games that are less than 15 minute long? If you're going to buy it, get it on sale.
#608 Posted by masterpaperlink (1873 posts) -

still have all my steam credit i was looking purely for some good rts sales and missed the dow ii and total war pack blehhh

#609 Posted by TruthTellah (9470 posts) -

@masterpaperlink said:

still have all my steam credit i was looking purely for some good rts sales and missed the dow ii and total war pack blehhh

Check back over the next two days. They're going to be doing each of the daily deals again over an "Encore Weekend". So, those deals might pop up again.

#610 Posted by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

I bought more than 25 games between Amazon, Steam, GMG and GOG. I'm DONE. I won't even look the encore so I won't do more stupid last mine purchases.

#611 Edited by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

@Time_Lord said:

• THQ Collection
  • Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai Collection

• The Darkness 2
  • LA Noire
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® Game of the Year Edition
  • And the Tropico 4 DLC

Every time I say there is nothing I want then I spend a hundred or so on games each sale that there is a good chance I may never play.

You should definitely play The Darkness II. It's short and, surprisingly, great.

#612 Posted by RareMonkey (110 posts) -

final list

• Sleepy Dogs (GMG 8 bucks)
  • scribblenauts unlimited (amazon think it was about 10 during 1 day)
  • hotline miami (amazon 2.50)
  • they bleed pixels (steam 2.50)
  • Mcpixel (steam think 1.50)
  • half minute hero (2.50 steam)
  • desert sea bundle (spec ops and bioshocks) (amazon 10)
#613 Posted by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

I bought more than 25 games between Amazon, Steam, GMG and GOG. I'm DONE. I won't even look the encore so I won't make more stupid last minute purchases.

#614 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -
  • XCOM (Green Man Gaming)
  • Just Cause 2
  • KOTOR 1&2
  • Sleepy Dogs DLC

Not a lot, but it's 'aight I guess.

#615 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Just got Dragon Age : Origins (quickly becoming one of my favourite games, I dismissed it after playing a hour on 360) and Saints Row 3 for like $12 combined. And got gifted Civ 5 and Metro 2033 from the fine community at Giant Bomb =)

I don't spend alot on Steam anymore, spent way too much on previous years sales on stuff I wouldn't even hire from the video store. Only brought games I actually wanted to play this time.

#616 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs price error 91% off right now, quick

#617 Posted by masterpaperlink (1873 posts) -

craazy too bad i already own it

#618 Edited by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -

Just two for me this holiday season, XCOM (2012) and Fallout 3 New Vegas. These are the only two games I am absolutely certain I will play. My Steam backlog is huge so I didn't just splurge on everything I saw that tweaked my fancy. Now, if I had been fortunate enough to catch a few others while they were at their lowest price, I probably would have picked them up, but no loss either way. There's always the Summer Sale later this year.

EDIT: I made the mistake of checking out the Steam site one last time and saw Batman AC GOTY and Witcher 2 for $7.50 each. I had thought I'd missed the sales for both. Damn you last minute impulse buy!

#619 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs for $4.49? Don't mind if I do!

#620 Edited by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

Well I finally started to make some purchases this sale. Got Torchlight 2, Hell Yeah, Skyrim Hearthfire dlc, and Witcher 2 (own it on disc already, but I like having an extra steam copy when its cheap enough). All in all I feel pretty good about what I picked up. Both Torchlight 2 and Hell Yeah were games that I've been looking forward to playing, and Witcher 2 is one of my favorite rpgs ever. There are a few things I came close to buying, but I'm going to hold off until the Summer Sale. Hopefully by then Dishonored, Darksiders 2, and Far Cry 3 will be cheaper.

#621 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

Survived with only one purchase, Dragon Age Origins Ultimate for $7.50.

#622 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Final haul:

• Binary Domain
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • FTL
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • Rayman Origins
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Super Hexagon
  • Super Street Fighter IV AE

I'm pretty happy with the sale. Already finished Binary Domain, Sleeping Dogs, and Mark of the Ninja. Deus Ex and Skyrim are going to take all my gaming time, though.

#623 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2222 posts) -

KOTOR 2

Sleeping Dogs

To The Moon

Saint's Row DLC

Alan Wake's American Nightmare

I sadly missed out on the three 'big' Wadjet Eye games when they were on sale.

#624 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Okay, stupid question, but Darksiders II is a Zelda clone, right? AKA searching around, trying doors, moving a rock, pushing a lever, cutaway of door opening, retracing steps...

#625 Posted by Cheesebob (1249 posts) -

@aquamarin: Less retracing steps but yeah

#626 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@aquamarin said:

Okay, stupid question, but Darksiders II is a Zelda clone, right? AKA searching around, trying doors, moving a rock, pushing a lever, cutaway of door opening, retracing steps...

The second Darksiders is a little less like Zelda (and a lot less good than the original) but that's still pretty much how it plays out.

#627 Posted by Fredddi43 (358 posts) -

Still wishing Quantum Conundrum would somehow get on sale again, I missed it the first time around...

But I spend 50 bucks, way more than I originally planed, so I guess that's fine.

#628 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

Final score:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Greenmangaming

Sleeping Dogs (during the price error!) - Steam

Borderlands 2 - Greenmangaming

Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition - Steam

Age of Empires III: Complete Edition - Steam

All of those for less than the price of one brand new game. Digital distribution, aw yiss.

#629 Edited by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

Games I got this holiday season (many of which were purchased from places other than Steam, such as Amazon or Green Man Gaming):

1. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  2. Sleeping Dogs
  3. Far Cry 3
  4. Spec Ops: The Line
  5. Bioshock
  6. Bioshock 2
  7. The Darkness II
  8. Duke Nukem Forever
  9. Civilization 5: Gods and Kings
  10. Dungeon Defenders Collection

Edit: All this cost me about $87. If I were to buy it all at full price, it would have been $350. I saved 75%! I love PC gaming.

#630 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

My haul:

• Dark Souls
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • Lego Harry Potter 1-4 + 5-7
  • Lego LotR
  • LotR: War in the North
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Rage
  • The Last Remnant
  • XCOM
  • Darksiders 2 and all DLC
  • Rayman Origins
  • Civ 5: Gods and Kings
  • FTL
  • Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
  • Jet Set Radio
  • Alan Wake + American Nightmare

Just over £100 in total, which I'm pretty happy with, considering that's almost everything I've bought gaming wise in 2012 and I shudder to think how much more that would have been on consoles.

#631 Posted by DocHaus (1374 posts) -

I think this counts as my haul from the holidays:

• Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken (meh game, but for $2.49 the artwork and music are worth it)
  • Dead Island GOTY Edition
  • The Walking Dead (amazing story)
  • Intrusion 2: (simplistic shooter tha--HOLY SHIT I'M RIDING A GIANT WOLF)
  • Sine Mora (that bullet hell shooter made by Grasshopper)
  • SSF4AE Complete Pack (hope I don't regret this purchase)
  • Sengoku (received as a gift from a Steam-friend, only FAQ I can find on this game is "Play Crusader Kings 2 Instead.")
  • Max Payne 3 + Rockstar Pass
  • Payday The Heist (Left 4 Dead with robbin banks? Yes! Just shooting through legions of cops to get to Point B? No!)
  • Resonance
  • Cave Story+
  • Sleeping Dogs (with a few packs of DLC)
#632 Posted by mustachioeugene (521 posts) -
  • Sleeping Dogs (w/some dlc packs)
  • Torchlight II
  • FTL
  • Binary Domain
  • XCOM
  • Universe Sandbox

@DocHaus:

Is your display pic The Hebrew Hammer? If so, nicely done!

#633 Posted by gla55jAw (2695 posts) -
  • Wanderlust: Rebirth
  • Zeno Clash
  • Wizorb
  • Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
  • Half-Life Complete
  • McPixel
  • The Binding Of Isaac with Wrath of the Lamb DLC
  • FEAR Complete Pack
  • Frozen Synapse: Soundtrack Edition
  • The Longest Journey + Dreamfall
  • GTA Complete Pack
  • To The Moon

I'm also contemplating the Saint's Row The Third Complete Pack. I have the regular game from the Humble Bundle, and also have it on 360 (which I haven't really played), but it comes with everything for $7.49.

#634 Posted by Demoskinos (15133 posts) -

I got

• Torchlight 2
  • Analogue: A Hate Story
  • Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
  • Hotline Miami
#635 Posted by DeF (4975 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

I got

• Analogue: A Hate Story

Fantastic purchase!

I fell into the trap again and got

• Mark of the Ninja
  • Hotline Miami
  • Towns
  • Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  • Hell Yeah! (gifted)
#636 Posted by Time_Lord (723 posts) -

@GetEveryone played about 5 hours of The Darkness 2 so far really enjoying it aside from the light mechanic they use it far to much.

#637 Posted by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

So, time for the final tally for the last few weeks

Steam

Amazon

• Syndicate (Jeff sold me on the co-op)
  • Sine Mora (Really cheap, plus I'm a fan of Akira Yamaoka)
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited (I was kinda over the DS when the first game came out, now I can play it on the PC)
  • Batman Arkham City GOTY (I haven't played Asylum but I'm considering playing both back to back some time this year)
  • Sega Genesis Classic Series 1-5 (I already have most of those on the PS3 but whatever, they were cheap and now I have it on PC)
  • The Secret World (Wanted to play this for years but I was really busy when it came out)
  • Hotline: Miami (So many people saying it's awesome, I'm giving it a shot. Also, I love De Palma's Scarface)
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Recokning complete (I liked the demo, it's seems like a fun 30-50 hour RPG)
  • XCOM Enemy Unkonw (I wasn't gonna buy it now but I just couldn't ignore Giant Bomb's game of the year)
  • Spec Ops: The Line (It was cheap. Besides my expectations are so low it will probably blow my mind)

GOG

Green Man Gaming

PSN

Gifts

#638 Edited by Winsord (1300 posts) -

Purchased on Steam:

Purchased on Greenman Gaming:

Pretty happy with how things broke down this holiday sale. Spent $25.47 and got six pretty well regarded games, as well as bought Zeno Clash for my brother. I did get a little impatient before the holiday sales started though and bought a few things:

Got three games for Christmas:

and finally, I got a free copy of Far Cry 3 with my graphics card (XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz).

Final total: $128.97 for 16 games purchased (excluding duplicates from the THQ bundle), averaging $8.06 per purchase.

I would also still like to purchase Tokyo Jungle, which is currently $10 on PSN. Made the mistake of thinking all games would still be on sale today though, so I won't be picking up McPixel quite yet (more of a time thing, less about the cost), and Indie Game: The Movie. The main problem is really being able to download all of these games, since I'm on a somewhat stringent bandwidth cap. I've got Far Cry 3, Counter-Strike: GO and Sleeping Dogs for this month, but I'm already reasonably far into Far Cry and I think I'll fly through Sleeping Dogs once I start it.

#639 Edited by TheHT (11769 posts) -

Batman: Arkham City GOTY (from Green Man Gaming)

Spec Ops: The Line (from Green Man Gaming)

Tiny and Big (from Green Man Gaming)

Sleeping Dogs (from Green Man Gaming)

Sleeping Dogs DLC

Rage

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North

F.E.A.R. 3

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Binary Domain

Max Payne 3

Max Payne Collection (1 and 2)

THQ Pack

#640 Posted by streetninja (155 posts) -

What I got while on sale: 

XCom: Enemy Unkown (GMG)
Audiosurf (Steam)
Hotline Miami (Amazon)
Scribblenauts Unlimited (Amazon) 
The Walking Dead (Steam)
FTL (Steam, but I traded it to someone for Civ V Gods & Kings)
Syndicate (Amazon for free with credit) 
Magicka (Amazon for free with credit)
Dead Island GOTY (Amazon)
Tropico 3 (Steam) 

Overall, I'm extremely happy with what I got and glad different types of games. I would've loved to have Arkham City GOTY, but I already have a lot of stuff to play through and decided to wait until I clear some of my now expanded backlog.

#641 Posted by Fattony12000 (7559 posts) -

Games What I Bought On Steam

Sleeping Dogs - £2.69

Hard Reset: Extended Edition - £2.49

Legend of Grimrock - £2.99

Civ V DLC Babylon & Civ V Gods and Kings Expansion - £5.73

£13.90 total.

#642 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (320 posts) -

Unmechanical

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat

Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind

Spec Ops : The Line

Max Payne 3

Devil May Cry 4

Orcs Must Die - Franchise

Miasmata

Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic II

Sleeping Dogs

-------------------------------------------------------------

All totaling up to somewhere between £48-£50. Not my worst that's for sure. Now I just need to find the time to play them.

#643 Edited by valrog (3648 posts) -

My haul:

• The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
  • Assassin's Creed II
  • Darksiders Franchise
  • Tropico Reloaded
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum
  • Max Payne 3 (Gift)
  • Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack (Gift)
  • Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2 (Gift)

I was a little disappointed how many games didn't go on sale, yet stuff like Borderlands 2 did every day.

#644 Posted by GnuStylo (23 posts) -

Purchased Dragons Age Origins....hope it lives up to its hype!

#645 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6387 posts) -

Let's keep all current Steam sale talk to the sticky at the top of the forums. Thanks.

Moderator Online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.