The Mega Steam End o' Year Sale Discussion Thread!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#251 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@FritzDude said:

I don't know. I was kind of hoping Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Ultimate would be on sale. I would like to play it on the PC With all the released content.

Funny you should mention that.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009YLKBQY

Reverts back to original price on the 23rd. Registers on Origin.

#252 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

I'm so damn tempted to buy the Tom Calancy pack, so many awesome games that I'd like to play again, and some I've never played.

#253 Posted by Epidehl (327 posts) -

Haven't bought anything yet, but I got Sleeping Dogs from that GMG deal. Thinking about getting XCOM in the current flash deal.

Something I'm concerned about though: most of the stuff I've bought and played on my PC isn't super new so I'm not sure how it'll handle new games and trying to compare my video card vs. recommended on some games is confusing. I've got a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550Ti and will only be running things in 720p, should I be able to handle most newer games (Sleeping Dogs, XCOM, and maybe Farcry 3) at at least DECENT settings, not necessarily max?

#254 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@Epidehl said:

Haven't bought anything yet, but I got Sleeping Dogs from that GMG deal. Thinking about getting XCOM in the current flash deal.

Something I'm concerned about though: most of the stuff I've bought and played on my PC isn't super new so I'm not sure how it'll handle new games and trying to compare my video card vs. recommended on some games is confusing. I've got a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550Ti and will only be running things in 720p, should I be able to handle most newer games (Sleeping Dogs, XCOM, and maybe Farcry 3) at at least DECENT settings, not necessarily max?

dont get xcom, its only 33% off. the game requires a steam account to activate, so you can get it on amazon or GMG or whatever which im sure will hit at least 50%

#255 Posted by Epidehl (327 posts) -

@Rhaknar: Huh, alright I'll be sure to keep an eye on those.

Man, not sure what else I'd want to get. If Hotline Miami wins the vote I'll probably pick it up but besides that, I dunno.

#256 Posted by MOAB (426 posts) -

@Epidehl said:

I've got a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550Ti and will only be running things in 720p, should I be able to handle most newer games (Sleeping Dogs, XCOM, and maybe Farcry 3) at at least DECENT settings, not necessarily max?

you'll be fine, especially at 720p. i had that card not too long ago and i was playing fairly recent games with decent settings at 1080p. it's a nice little card.

#257 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

Did I miss Football Manager 2013? I want to catch it on a daily or flash sale.

#258 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

Bought counter strike just for shuts and giggles. I can get 7 bucks of fun out of it. Still waiting for mark of the ninja to pop up on flash sale

#259 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Hoping for Mark of the Ninja to go on sale.

@Epidehl said:

I wouldn't worry about XCOM, it could pass for a PS2 game. Also it's really buggy so I wouldn't personally be pay anything for it unless it's 75% off. I stupidly bought it full price and began to hate it.

#260 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

Did I miss Football Manager 2013? I want to catch it on a daily or flash sale.

no hasnt been a daily or flash

#261 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@Epidehl said:

I wouldn't worry about XCOM, it could pass for a PS2 game. Also it's really buggy so I wouldn't personally be pay anything for it unless it's 75% off. I stupidly bought it full price and began to hate it.

I paid full price and loved it, didnt run into any bugs, and its my GOTY. and gfx could pass for PS2? I want your special PS2 you aparently had

#262 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I'm a bit disappointed XCOM isn't more than 33% off, I was expecting at least 50.

Everything I've bought so far has been from Greenman Gaming, they've been doing some really ridiculous sales, so far putting the Steam offerings completely to shame. Especially that Sleeping Dogs one today, geez.

#263 Posted by logicfracture (158 posts) -

@Chrjz said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: Fable 3 is barely an RPG. If you want some awesome RPG games for cheap, check out the GOG.com sale currently going on.

Or check out The Witcher for $2.50 on Steam.

#264 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

@Sooty said:

@Epidehl said:

I paid full price and loved it, didnt run into any bugs, and its my GOTY. and gfx could pass for PS2? I want your special PS2 you aparently had

Yeah they could pass for a PS2, at least one in an emulator running at a high resolution, it has a pretty nasty art style and doesn't look very nice at all.

There's nothing fancy about the graphics and the textures are flat, hence why I think it can pass for an older generation game.

I thought it was universally accepted that XCOM had pretty bad visuals, some neat alien designs but graphically it's underwhelming.

#265 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Wow this is the most disappointing day in Steam sales in the history of Steam sales.

#266 Posted by BeachThunder (12416 posts) -

Someone sell me on Dead Island...

#267 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -
#268 Edited by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

Darksiders 2 worth getting? The franchise pack seems to be cheaper so I'm getting it if you guys say it's good.

#269 Posted by BisonHero (7039 posts) -
@BeachThunder

Don't bother. It gets pretty monotonous, and every area past the initial resort area isn't as cool as the resort area. If you must, then con some friends into buying it along with you, then have yourself some Truck Problems.
#270 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

I bought it and kind of regret it now! Is that enough of a sales pitch?

#271 Edited by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (428 posts) -

@FritzDude said:

I don't know. I was kind of hoping Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Ultimate would be on sale. I would like to play it on the PC With all the released content.

Kingdoms of Amalur unfortunately is most likely never EVER going to see a Steam sale.

The reason is the only ones who could authorize such a sale was 38 Studios- and as we all know, they are long gone. So there is no one to authorize Steam sales- let alone authorize price drops. (Which is why Amalur is still $60 on steam, whereas just about everywhere else its base is now $40 from what I've seen)

Just about everywhere else, EA can authorize sales for Amalur. Given that detail- it should be obvious why Amalur will never see a Steam sale. :P

#272 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

I liked Dead Island quite a bit, but it does drag a bit and its way too long (if there is such a thing).

#273 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka: I fail to see why EA having the game matters. All of their other games that are still on Steam are constantly on sale. Hell the sale started with one of their games on sale.

#274 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka: I fail to see why EA having the game matters. All of their other games that are still on Steam are constantly on sale. Hell the sale started with one of their games on sale.

i explained this earlier, EA publishes the game everywhere except on Steam. Steam it was self published by 38 studios, who are now dead.

#275 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

@crusader8463 said:

i explained this earlier, EA publishes the game everywhere except on Steam. Steam it was self published by 38 studios, who are now dead.

I see. I thought they published it on Steam as well. Kind of crazy that it's still $59.99.

#276 Edited by JNeam (77 posts) -

Dishonored is still at $30

Thoughts on it?

#277 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

Having only 6 new daily deals each day is making it much easier to maintain my resolve and not buy a shit ton of games.

#278 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1233 posts) -

@JNeam: Cheaper at GMG and I bought it for 35 dollars at launch. Well worth the price though, good game.

Bit disappointed in the sale, but thinking of getting SimCity 4 or Natural Selection 2. Can the latter be played "singleplayer", meaning no really organized multiplayer with VOIP etc? Looking for something casual TDM-y, got PS2 for my organized MP stuff.

#279 Posted by peritus (1067 posts) -

Would maybe like to see DNF go on -75%. Just to see if it really is that bad. Probably is ;)

#280 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Fucking Blood Bowl.

#281 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@JNeam said:

Dishonored is still at $30

Thoughts on it?

its alright, I hate how the game...in fact, most assassin-style games these days, punish you for being...an assassin >_> I still enjoyed it tho

@peritus said:

Would maybe like to see DNF go on -75%. Just to see if it really is that bad. Probably is ;)

its quite mediocre, i still finished it tho.

#282 Posted by MOAB (426 posts) -

dlc usually gets the same discount as the game it's for, right?

#283 Posted by Raethen (179 posts) -

@MOAB: Most times, but it depends on whether the publisher/developer decides to do so. None of the Borderlands 2 dlc was on sale when the game was.

So far, I've only bought Sleeping Dogs on GMG, I really don't see how Steam can beat $8.

#284 Posted by iBePeRFeCT (396 posts) -

I'm really on the fence about Darksiders 2. I loved the first one, but I haven't heard the most positive things about the second one. Is it worth the 13 dollars?

#285 Posted by PillClinton (3295 posts) -

C'mon Far Cry 3 and AssCreed 3, come to papa steam sales of at least 50% off.

#286 Posted by Raethen (179 posts) -

@iBePeRFeCT: It is well worth 13 for me. I did enjoy the first more, it was a much more condensed experience. I bought Darksiders 2 for 40 prior to release, and I feel like I got more that that out of it, plus I will probably go back for more sometime next year. It is really up to your preferences as it is a pretty different game from the first, but it has some of the same trappings.

#287 Posted by PillClinton (3295 posts) -

@iBePeRFeCT said:

I'm really on the fence about Darksiders 2. I loved the first one, but I haven't heard the most positive things about the second one. Is it worth the 13 dollars?

13 dollars, yeah I'd say so. But for what it's worth, I bought it at full price, day one, as a big Darksiders 1 fan, was quite disappointed and couldn't bring myself to finish it, so...

#288 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

For some reason I want Dungeon Defenders. But is it any fun solo?

#289 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@MOAB said:

dlc usually gets the same discount as the game it's for, right?

not if the DLC is too new in most cases

#290 Posted by MOAB (426 posts) -

@Raethen: thanks, i'm hoping for a bigger discount on dawnguard.

@PillClinton said:

ha, i'd take any discount at this point...

#291 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

For some reason I want Dungeon Defenders. But is it any fun solo?

Definitely a fun, light game. It's not bad with strangers either, but if you get it, I'll play with you if you're interested. I got the Steam deal for the DLC.

#292 Posted by iBePeRFeCT (396 posts) -

@PillClinton: @Raethen: Well you guys talked me into it. Thanks.

#293 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@MOAB said:

@Raethen: thanks, i'm hoping for a bigger discount on dawnguard.

@PillClinton said:

ha, i'd take any discount at this point...

neither far cry 3 nor assassins creed 3 will get 50% off on Steam this sale, I'm 100% sure of that. They have NO DISCOUNT at all for the duration of the sale, and Far Cry especially has been the #1 seller on steam for weeks. At best youll get 25% or something. I would gladly eat my words, especially for FC3... but I wont.

why dont you hope for Black Ops 2 50% off too while youre at it :p

#294 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@iBePeRFeCT said:

@PillClinton: @Raethen: Well you guys talked me into it. Thanks.

yes its worth it, that being said, I absolutely loved Darksiders 1, and the second was quite disapointing. Its still good tho, and as a deal its great, since it has all the DLC

#295 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@PillClinton said:

@iBePeRFeCT said:

13 dollars, yeah I'd say so. But for what it's worth, I bought it at full price, day one, as a big Darksiders 1 fan, was quite disappointed and couldn't bring myself to finish it, so...

Same here, except I got it for ~$20. It was one of my most anticipated games of the year after playing Darksiders last year and loving it, and I just couldn't play it all the way. Lost interest about half way through.

It's just too damn repetitive, tedious, badly paced and just plain uninteresting. Don't waste your $13.

#296 Posted by PillClinton (3295 posts) -

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka said:

@FritzDude said:

Kingdoms of Amalur unfortunately is most likely never EVER going to see a Steam sale.

The reason is the only ones who could authorize such a sale was 38 Studios- and as we all know, they are long gone. So there is no one to authorize Steam sales- let alone authorize price drops. (Which is why Amalur is still $60 on steam, whereas just about everywhere else its base is now $40 from what I've seen)

Just about everywhere else, EA can authorize sales for Amalur. Given that detail- it should be obvious why Amalur will never see a Steam sale. :P

KoA Complete Bundle is $12 on Amazon right now. Be warned, it of course has Origin DRM, if you're opposed to that or anything.

#297 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2543 posts) -

A little disappointed with the offerings so far.

#298 Edited by ArbitraryWater (12115 posts) -

I got Sleeping Dogs from GMG and I finally broke down and got Dead Island as well, but all this sale has really done has made me realize how I've bought most of the games I've ever wanted on steam, and then some. On the other hand, I still have this DOTA 2 early access in my inventory from when someone gifted it to me, and I kinda have no intention of using it, but I'm not sure what else I could do with it save forcing DOTA 2 onto some unsuspecting individual.

#299 Edited by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

@DjCmeP said:

Darksiders 2 worth getting? The franchise pack seems to be cheaper so I'm getting it if you guys say it's good.

I'm a sucker for that franchise, so yes.

...but expect the story in 2 to be a disappointment. There isn't really much interaction with NPCs either, which they devs promised would play a factor.

Still, they are both really long, great looking games with solid combat and decent lore.

@iBePeRFeCT said:

See above. A lot of the knee-jerk reaction was the fact that the story was virtually non-existent and did nothing to expand/further that of the first. It's slickly designed, though, and has gameplay for days. Overlong, but great.

#300 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

Condemned <3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.