Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

The Mega Steam End o' Year Sale Discussion Thread!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#401  Edited By Sooty

@Barrabas said:

@Kiri90 said:

@Subjugation: @Sooty: Thanks for your opinions. It looks like I have a tough choice to make, since the split in opinions seems to be pretty widespread. Since I haven't yet finished ME2 (almost done), it might be better for me to wait a little and possibly get Dark Souls ($14.99 on Amazon). Or I might just get ME3 now, and hold off on playing it until I've gone through my current backlog.

If people are telling you ME3 isn't worth it at a less than $10 price point they are kind of nuts. I can see the disappointment for a $60 game, but at the price point you're looking at it's a steal. Especially if you are already invested in the series, and will be getting the better ending sequence by default. The only real hard decision is if you want to spend the extra $10 and get the Leviathan DLC as well.

I'm not nuts. I'm just not down for paying $10 or the equivalent for what I experienced in Mass Effect 3, sure it's in hindsight but I still don't see myself wanting to play it for $10 knowing what I do now.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#402  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@Chavtheworld said:

Argh I really want to see the results of the next Community vote but it frigging ends at 4am. How long do they run for - 6 hours? Or 12? If I set an alarm for 9:30am and the game I voted for didn't win or has already changed I will be piisssedddd.

i think it is every 7 or 8 hours, they give you time to sleep so you have your energy to spend more money.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#403  Edited By pyromagnestir

@JacDG said:

@L1GHTN1N said:

@JacDG said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@MikkaQ said:

@JacDG said:

Another disappointing day it would seem :(

This whole sale has been pretty disappointing but it's not really Steam's fault, I just kinda have it all. I've been enjoying the deals over at GOG this sale more than Steam. 3 buck Theme Hospital is a pretty great deal.

I think they had to tone it down a bit, they got to a situation when people werent buying games in November because they were just waiting for the sales. Ive grabed a few things so far that I am happy with, Saints Row 3 is$7 and alot of stuff is 50% off.

Yeah, thing is though I really don't have that many games on steam, I just got a capable laptop in November last year, so I still don't have that many games on steam, and half of them a games like Costume Quest, Terreria, Super Monday Night Combat and so on. That said, Binary Domain for 75% off might just be my first purchase of the sale, even though I've not heard that many great things about the PC version.

When it launched it was pretty terrible but they've done quite a bit of work on it to make it play fine. I played through the PC version with a 360 controller in May-June, and last week played through the first act with M/KB and didn't have any issues. For $6.24 it's a steal, happens to be one of my top 10 this year.

Well, seems like I can't get the demo to run, I keep getting an error message saying "the graphics device is invalid, please run the configuration tool." which apparently is common for folks with laptops, and none of the fixes suggested on the Steam forums help, oh well, guess I just saved some money.

Well that's a shame. I played through it on a laptop a week and a half ago and it was fine.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#404  Edited By Rhaknar

@Chavtheworld said:

Argh I really want to see the results of the next Community vote but it frigging ends at 4am. How long do they run for - 6 hours? Or 12? If I set an alarm for 9:30am and the game I voted for didn't win or has already changed I will be piisssedddd.

12 hours youre fine. the other set will change at 10AM your time, so youll potentially see 6 new ones if you wake up after :P

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#405  Edited By TheHT

I've got 10 hours to get to my PC and get Binary Domain. Ticking off that list one day at a time.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406  Edited By Rhaknar

@TheHT said:

I've got 10 hours to get to my PC and get Binary Domain. Ticking off that list one day at a time.

mobile app?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#407  Edited By Bollard

@Rhaknar said:

@Chavtheworld said:

12 hours youre fine. the other set will change at 10AM your time, so youll potentially see 6 new ones if you wake up after :P

By the other set do you mean Flash sales? I thought there was only one Community voted game at a time!

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408  Edited By Rhaknar

@Chavtheworld said:

@Rhaknar said:

@Chavtheworld said:

By the other set do you mean Flash sales? I thought there was only one Community voted game at a time!

oops sorry i thought you meant the flash sales ending at 4am. yeah the vote is 12 hours too anyway :)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409  Edited By Bollard

@Rhaknar: Ah sweet thanks :D

iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#410  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

I ended up getting that awesome Dawn of War pack. I couldn't resist looking at it any longer. Main games left for me to pick up now are Hotline Miami and XCOM, but I don't know if that one is going to drop enough for me to be able to afford it.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#411  Edited By Subjugation

@iBePeRFeCT: I don't think XCOM is going to drop any further than what it was for the flash sale which was like 33% I think. I'm right there with you hoping though. Maybe it will be a daily deal and they'll botch the discount and make it waaaay too much? It has happened before!

iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

@Subjugation: Yeah, that is what I figured as well. I'm hoping GMG or Amazon will get it down around the $20 mark and I'll be more than happy to get it at that price.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#413  Edited By cornbredx

Well, unexpectedly, Binary Domain is 75% off in a flash deal. So I got it.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414  Edited By MOAB
    Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415  Edited By Raethen

@iBePeRFeCT: There is still like 12 days left in the sale. XCOM was a big enough release to be a daily deal at some point, and I suspect it would be at the same discount as the flash sale if not cheaper.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416  Edited By mellotronrules
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
    deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to trade the Harley Quinn DLC for Hearthfire

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#418  Edited By Jothel
    iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

I hope that Beyond Good and Evil wins the community vote. I've never played it before and wouldn't mind checking it out if it wins.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420  Edited By mellotronrules

@iBePeRFeCT said:

I hope that Beyond Good and Evil wins the community vote. I've never played it before and wouldn't mind checking it out if it wins.

seriously. i just voted for it. but i bet it doesn't take it. :(

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#421  Edited By BisonHero

@Jothel said:

Holy crap the THQ bundle is ridiculous! http://store.steampowered.com/sub/18778/

That's been the interesting thing with THQ lately. They publish some of the more interesting big budget games (like, infinitely more interesting than what EA has done in the some time frame), but they're not quite mainstream enough to be super profitable, so it didn't take much for uDraw and minor failures like Homefront to put them in serious financial trouble.

So yeah, of all the big bundles on Steam, I think the THQ bundle really stands out as having some really high quality games, and only a handful that are kinda meh, and it's at a crazy good price, given that you get Darksiders II with it.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#422  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I'm really hoping Kingdoms of Amalur goes on sale. I really want to play it, but $60 seems like to much.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423  Edited By themangalist

I bought Chivalry and regretted it after a few rounds. Should've waited for a year or two. I'm also sad I missed the Natural Selection 2 sale. But for purchases I don't regret, the Dawn of War collection was a fucking steal.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424  Edited By DystopiaX

@JeanLuc said:

I'm really hoping Kingdoms of Amalur goes on sale. I really want to play it, but $60 seems like to much.

That's not on Steam is it?

All I got so far is Binary Domain, I think I've hit that stage where I pretty much have everything I want lol

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425  Edited By mellotronrules

@DystopiaX said:

@JeanLuc said:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/102500

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#426  Edited By TheHT

@Rhaknar said:

@TheHT said:

mobile app?

yeah, i definitely would have used that if i was worried i'd miss it.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427  Edited By DystopiaX

@mellotronrules said:

@DystopiaX said:

@JeanLuc said:

Oh wow, always assumed EA would have kept it Origin exclusive.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428  Edited By Leptok

@DystopiaX said:

@mellotronrules said:

@DystopiaX said:

@JeanLuc said:

Oh wow, always assumed EA would have kept it Origin exclusive.

Well wasn't it an EA partners deal, not an EA internal studio?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#429  Edited By BeachThunder

They Bleed Pixels is a pretty good horror 'masocore' platformer; also, the choose-your-own-checkpointing system is great.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430  Edited By Bollard

This Steam sale suxxxx. Bought games from GOG and GreenManGaming so far, nothing from Steam. Considering that XCOM from GameFly.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431  Edited By Rhaknar

yay they bleed pixels and half minute hero

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#432  Edited By korolev

Buy "To the Moon". It's 5 dollars. Five dollars. Please. I say this because I honestly think that you are missing out if you don't play this game.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#433  Edited By BeachThunder

@Korolev said:

Buy "To the Moon". It's 5 dollars. Five dollars. Please. I say this because I honestly think that you are missing out if you don't play this game.

I'll just put my contrasting opinion here: I've played roughly half, and I'm struggling to get through it; the graphics look like a horrendous mess (most things look like bad Chrono Trigger or RPG Maker sprite edits haphazardly mixed together with a random assortment of royalty-free art assets) and the dialogue too frequently ends up revolving around bad jokes, memes and (a lot of) pop-culture references. To me, it feels like a complete chore to play (I can only play the game in 20ish minute chunks before I feel like playing something else) - I know a lot of people rave about the game; I can only assume that there's an amazing story payoff at the end...?

I do like the music though.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434  Edited By Rhaknar

cant wait for the "STEAM SUXXXXXXX ARGH" rage when Far Cry 3 hits at "only" 25% (even tho its barely 1 month old and is selling like hot cakes, why would it even need a sale), when the exact same thing happened on past years with new Ubisoft games (Ass Creed Revelations 25% off shortly after lauching too last xmas sale)

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#435  Edited By HaroldoNVU

It's not that this sale has been particularly bad, it's that the competion caught up discount-wise. Amazon, GOG, GMG and others are collectively putting up a fight. I'm missing a couple stuff like the indie bundles, I mean the old 5 games for $5 or $10 and I'm missing the thematic achievements and presentation of this sales which made them look like big events. This one is kinda bland. Not that this is entirely bad, that coal nonsense was horrible but 2011 Summer Camp was great.

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#436  Edited By Killercombo

Death Rally is half price at £3.99 but if you liked there facebook page a few weeks ago you got a 90% off coupon bringing it to 80p, I played only a small amount but liked it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#437  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Do we know if Skyrim is going to get any cheaper than it's current $30 price?

EDIT: Eh I doubt it, just bought it. BTW guys, Dawnguard is on sale for $10 as a stealth flash deal.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#438  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

Is Arma II worth it for trying out Day Z? I realize the standalone is coming out, but I've been real anxious to try it out...

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#439  Edited By HaroldoNVU
    SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440  Edited By SlashDance

@A_Cute_Squirtle said:

Is Arma II worth it for trying out Day Z? I realize the standalone is coming out, but I've been real anxious to try it out...

If you have a bunch of friends that want to do the same, then maybe ? But at this point I'd wait for the stand alone. I found it too buggy to be enjoyable.

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#441  Edited By BoatDrinks

Skyrim is 50% off, it probably wont get any cheaper, right?

iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

@acrimsonbullet: I doubt it will get any cheaper. Normally, Flash sales are discounted the same as the Daily ones.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#443  Edited By bibamatt

Holy crap todays offers are bad. Sonic Generations, half off at £9.99. It's was less than that last year. And it's frequently available for less than £5 all through the year. Black Ops (the first one, not the new one), £19.99. I realise it sounds super entitled to moan about sales, but fuuuuck.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#444  Edited By peritus

It hasnt been as crazy as last year. But there is the THQ collection. Its crazy cheap! Too cheap even.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445  Edited By PillClinton

@JeanLuc said:

It's $12 over at Gamefly. Origin version though.

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446  Edited By Kiri90

@Rhaknar: If Far Cry 3 gets a 25% off discount, I'll be all over it. Seriously, what motivation do they have to put a game that's the #1 seller on Steam on sale? The two big games I'd like to get from this sale are Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3, so I'm keeping hope alive that the best is yet to come. A Rayman Origins deal wouldn't be bad either.

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#447  Edited By Killercombo

@Kiri90 said:

@Rhaknar: If Far Cry 3 gets a 25% off discount, I'll be all over it. Seriously, what motivation do they have to put a game that's the #1 seller on Steam on sale? The two big games I'd like to get from this sale are Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3, so I'm keeping hope alive that the best is yet to come. A Rayman Origins deal wouldn't be bad either.

While not might not happen of course I suspect a sale price for AC3 because it is in the Ubi Bundle, FC3 is not.

Also your Rayman deal has arrived.

Lagaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#448  Edited By Lagaroth

Oh man, both KotOR games are $2.50. I don't know I will ever play them again, but...

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Grabbed Spec Ops: The Line for 6,79€. 

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#450  Edited By Kiri90

@Killercombo said:

@Kiri90 said:

While not might not happen of course I suspect a sale price for AC3 because it is in the Ubi Bundle, FC3 is not.

Also your Rayman deal has arrived.

Seriously good timing, I just purchased Rayman. Now the waiting game for the other Ubisoft games begins. I would also suspect the Assassin's Creed 3 deal to happen since it is in the bundle, and since so many retailers heavily discounted the game for Black Friday or for Christmas sales. Far Cry 3 is another beast entirely, as you alluded.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.