Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

The Steam Trading Card Thread of Capitalistic Greed

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

Hi all! Didn't want to derail the market of the other trading card thread, so I thought I'd start a new one about something far more important: Cold hard cashola.

So, how much have you made putting digital trading cards up for sale?

I'm currently sitting at a cool $0.90 for ruthlessly selling my steam summer sale cards and four binding of Isaac cards (fifth one on sale now--only .15 cents!).

C'mon, bombers. Show me the money (that will no doubt destroy my paltry sum)!

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Nasos100

i dont care about this shit i got shit to do with my life man

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Fearbeard

I've made about $20 selling Trading Cards so far. Used most of it to pre-order Shadowrun Returns. Free games!!!

I have about 450 games in my Steam library so I have no shortage of trading card games. I'm probably done selling them for now though. I'll just sell extra copies I get and use that money to finish off badges and raise my Steam level a bit for the increased chance of getting booster packs.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

I don't know if money in my steam wallet counts as cold hard cashola. I bought a 2.99 game with the money I made, so that's something. But I probably spent at least that much buying cards. So I guess I 'made' about 6-8 bucks selling cards.

BonzoPongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@fearbeard: how many cards did you sell to get 20 bucks?

I think I've sold about 15 cards from various games at the market rate for $2.70 in total

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fearbeard

@nasos100 said:

Like post on a video game website forum thread that you don't care about. All about how much you don't care about it! You sir, have won life.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I've probably made nearly $30 selling TF2 and Trading Cards. I sold all of my TF2 and Portal 2 cards back when they still went for like a $1.50 each in the beta days. I haven't really sold any cards since.

monssfisch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bought Sword of the Stars: The Pit for $2.50 during the sale. Within about 10 minutes of playtime, I got a foil drop which I sold for $3.50. I was pretty happy about that.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fearbeard

@bonzopongo: My market history shows about 144 transactions. I'd say about 120-130 are from selling cards. I did get a booster pack which I sold for about $1.30, but most of the cards sell between 10 cents and 40 cents depending on rarity and demand. I've only gotten one foil card, but I haven't sold it yet.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasos100 said:

Man, you haven't LIVED until you've sold virtual trading cards for cold, hard cash.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Is it possible to trade my dumb cards for even dumber games? Is anybody even willing?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By BeachThunder

@nasos100 said:

Man, you haven't LIVED until you've sold virtual trading cards for cold, hard cash.

*cold, fake, digital, Steam-only cash.

Anyway $26.36

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah said:

@nasos100 said:

*cold, fake, digital, Steam-only cash.

Anyway $26.36

ha. I originally had "digital" as part of it, as well, but considering I put real money into that same pool of "digital" money, it's relatively real to me.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
    indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made around $15 during the Steam Sale selling all my cards, which was awesome. That's the thing though. I sold ALL my cards. I fucking idled games to exhaust all of my drops. I will never get more cards unless I'm randomly selected for a booster pack.

I feel like I crossed a line.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TruthTellah

@indiana_jenkins: Oh man, I love your userpic. Do you have a full-size version of that?

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fucking idled games to exhaust all of my drops.

That's a fucking great idea, god knows I don't want to actually play Offspring Fling. Also Iddle Dew cards are worth a lot so far apparently, I like.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
    indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Yes I do. I wish I could credit guy that did this, but I found it on Twitter a couple of weeks ago. I think Matt Rorie might have retweeted it.

No Caption Provided

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indiana_jenkins: Nice. Thanks. Yeah, must have just been one of the many in the flurry of odes to Ryan.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

Sell cards to buy games that have cards to sell more cards to buy games
    What's not to love?

cards rule everything around me S.T.E.A.M get the money
    wallet wallet funds y'all

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

Guys, here's my thinking. Those Summer Sale cards? They won't drop again. So don't sell 'em now, while they're going for like $0.15 USD. Hang onto them. You'll probably get like 20 cents more!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#23 MattyFTM  Moderator

I only got into cards over the summer sale. I've made like $3. Spent it all on Secret of the Magic Crystals cards. Because I HAVE to be that guy who has the level five Secret of the Magic Crystals badge.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@indiana_jenkins said:

I fucking idled games to exhaust all of my drops.

That's a fucking great idea, god knows I don't want to actually play Offspring Fling. Also Iddle Dew cards are worth a lot so far apparently, I like.

I thought Offspring Fling was actually pretty good, just saying.

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

I have made around £30 selling cards, I got £5 from selling a Foil Dust: An Elisian Tail Card and £1 from selling and Offspring Fling Emote (the heart) I have farmed all 71 games with trading cards and got 30 of them complete to level 1, including the Summer Badge all the way to level 5 and so I now have around 60 summer cards left, just hoping the prices go back up so I can sell them

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Put up some of the summer sale cards, a few duplicate cards & some cards from games I didn't care for, sold them for $.10-30 cents each usually. Great way to get enough for some of the badges to be complete but only really worked on the more popular games where the card prices were rather cheap. Nice to do this as if it was a straight 1 to 1 trade on some of the cards I would have lost a few over selling them. Now it's just keeping watch on the summer sale cards now that the summer sale is over to see where the price settles at (as I have a few duplicates), last page here on the US last I checked was some people trying to sell the summer sale cards for $400, don't think it'll get to that but expecting in a few weeks that the price should be closer to $.50 (right now still $.10-20 for them).

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By winsord

I've made about $5 so far. Biggest get was $1 for a Civ V booster pack, but aside from that I haven't gotten any cool foils or anything. It seems that generally the less played the game, the more valuable the cards are. The GRiD 2, RE6 and SR3 cards were all going for about $0.40 when I last looked, so it seems like it's worthwhile to idle games just to sell cards. I haven't bought any cards with 'real' money, just Steam wallet money I made from selling other cards.

The only two card related badges I've got are for Civ V and the summer sale. There's some fun to be had in crafting the badges, but what will likely happen is I'll farm the games I don't like to make badges in the games that I do like.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made about £4 in the first couple days... but then the collect-a-mania caught up with me. Now I can't stop getting them. I have 129 cards right now.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

How do booster packs work exactly? I know you have to max out your available drops in a particular game to be considered for one. Do I actually have to be running the game at some point that week to get one though? I kind of just want to idle games that I've played already just to sell the cards and get eligible.

Stache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Stache

@alanm26v5: I believe what they say is that booster packs are given out "as more people craft" that badge. So they probably have some arbitrary thresholds for each game, and once that threshold is crossed, it sends out booster packs based on the percentage that is dependent on your level. The higher your level, the more likely you are to earn a booster pack once that threshold is crossed by the community. There is a chart on the FAQ somewhere but I think it goes up by 20% every time you progress 10 levels.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.