Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Time Clock

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Klaimore

My question is how accurate is the time played clock on Steam? I have noticed that on TF2 when I count the hours played with all classes its about 40 but it says time played its 74 hours. Has anyone noticed this?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Klaimore said:

My question is how accurate is the time played clock on Steam? I have noticed that on TF2 when I count the hours played with all classes its about 40 but it says time played its 74 hours. Has anyone noticed this?

Cause it counts idle time in menus. Also you can reset the time you spent with a button on stats screen. 

Im fairly certain the Steam clock is 100%  

All that time 

Game loading up,Waiting in line for servers, Changing classes, Checking your items, Changing items, Crafting, ALL of that is logged as TF2 time. 
    Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Klaimore

@The_Laughing_Man: hmm.. that does make sense, so much crafting!

RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RTSlord

also theres a process called hl2.exe that you need to turn off through task manager because (at least for me) that doesnt close when i close tf2 and as long as thats on it counts as time played

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Klaimore said:

It is not.  At all.

It pisses me off too, because I'm way into seeing my stats on how long I've played certain games.

For example, I had 5 hours played on MW2 single player, overnight it reverted back to 2.  I had 2 or 3 hours played on Hitman: Blood Money, now it says I've never even played it.  I've played 3+ hours of Star Wars: TFU and it says I've played 78 minutes.  I had 42 hours played on Bad Company 2, went on a 5 or 6 hour binge of the multiplayer and it never credited me for that.

The most extreme example is my brother's Magicka playtime.  He played it for around 10 hours, and overnight it went up to 30, then he played it another hour and it went to 39.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @xobballox said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

@Klaimore said:

It is not. At all.  It pisses me off too, because I'm way into seeing my stats on how long I've played certain games.  For example, I had 5 hours played on MW2 single player, overnight it reverted back to 2.  I had 2 or 3 hours played on Hitman: Blood Money, now it says I've never even played it.  I've played 3+ hours of Star Wars: TFU and it says I've played 78 minutes.  I had 42 hours played on Bad Company 2, went on a 5 or 6 hour binge of the multiplayer and it never credited me for that. The most extreme example is my brother's Magicka playtime.  He played it for around 10 hours, and overnight it went up to 30, then he played it another hour and it went to 39.
    That was sarcasm. You can find hundreds of threads on the steam forums about it being dead wrong at times. 
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@xobballox said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Klaimore said:

It is not. At all.  It pisses me off too, because I'm way into seeing my stats on how long I've played certain games.  For example, I had 5 hours played on MW2 single player, overnight it reverted back to 2.  I had 2 or 3 hours played on Hitman: Blood Money, now it says I've never even played it.  I've played 3+ hours of Star Wars: TFU and it says I've played 78 minutes.  I had 42 hours played on Bad Company 2, went on a 5 or 6 hour binge of the multiplayer and it never credited me for that. The most extreme example is my brother's Magicka playtime.  He played it for around 10 hours, and overnight it went up to 30, then he played it another hour and it went to 39.
    That was sarcasm. You can find hundreds of threads on the steam forums about it being dead wrong at times. 
    Ah, alrighty.

It makes me very sad.  I don't see why it is so hard to record your playtime anyways.
    Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Klaimore

@xobballox: Ah Ha! So there is an issue well I hope they get that fixed with the next update.

misterhaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By misterhaan

with some games, if i play for a few hours and it crashes, the steam time played doesn’t change at all.  also, my games crash a lot.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By valrog

Wasn't even aware that it was inaccurate until now. Seems okay to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.