Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Unmetered Steam

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I already mentioned in my blog post how I found this but I thought I should let people know how to get unmetered steam downloads in Australia. 
    People with Telstra Bigpond can get unmetered downloads from steam servers hosted by GameArena. 
    However, if you have Internode as your provider you can get unmetered downloads from all australian servers. The list of ips for Internode.  
    I also believe that the servers have an uncapped transfer rate.

If you want to take advantage of this you will need two things TCPView and the latest version of SteamWatch (SteamWatch 3 as of writing this). 
    TCPView lets you view what ip address Steam is connecting to and SteamWatch will block all but the ip addresses specified in it's list. 
    When you install SteamWatch you can select either GameArea servers, Internode servers or both. With Internode I recommend both. 

You can run SteamWatch now and download away, however the ip list SteamWatch has is out of date so go to program files/steamwatch edit the SteamWatchSettings.xlm file to include the ips specified above into the source code. Make sure you save the file and reboot SteamWatch. 
    You do this because Steam doesn't care where you live and will connect to servers from any country and in most cases will connect to more than one server at a time. SteamWatch will make sure it ONLY connects to the ip addresses specified in the xml file.

Now run SteamWatch and TCPView, and download something on Steam. In TCPView you should see on port 27030 what ip address Steam is connecting to. It should only connect to the ip addresses specified in the xml. If Steam tries to connect to a non-Australian server it will immediately disconnect and try another server, if it doesn't disconnect then make sure that SteamWatch is running and that you have edited the xml correctly.

Now sit back and enjoy spending all your money on Steam without fear of using up your transfer limit for the month.

NOTE
    Most things that are on steam can be found on Australian servers, however sometimes it may not be. In these cases you may have to turn off SteamWatch or wait until it's put on Australian servers before downloading.     

Sometimes you may have issues running SteamWatch on vista, to make it runs sure go to the SteamWatch folder in the start menu and right click on Start Steam Watch and run as administrator.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

*hugs my unlimited 50Mb/s broadband*

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Mars_Cleric
    @jadeskye:
    *slaps my capped 8Mb/s broadband*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.