User tags!

#1 Posted by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

Steam introduces tagging of games by users.

Fucking finally, amirighte!

I don't know about others but I am excited as, as something, ah screw it I am just really happy about this. Why? Because the Steam genre categories were unusable for years now, with very broad categories and games shoved into as many genres as possible. Being able to see tags on games I know little about will at least give a rough surface idea instantly. Or being able to do more nuanced searches when craving something in particular

Of course a lot of it is in flux and we still have to see how it all shakes out. Especially with dupes and popularity based tags. But so far the Turn Based Strategy tag alone for me is priceless.

Anyone else going through their library and taggin some shit up?

#2 Posted by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

Hmm, I can't edit my own topic and main post for some reason?

Anyway, a bit disappointing to see a bit of early abuse already going on, with people putting spoilers in tags and some other seriously pithy useless shit rising to the top :/

#3 Posted by CoinMatze (475 posts) -

Yeah, the tags seem like a really cool and useful idea. Can't have such a thing without people ruining it. They're not even using the Not a Game tag right. Why are Saints Row IV and Hospital Tycoon on there? Hospital Tycoon is broken garbage but it's still a game.

#4 Edited by BeachThunder (12294 posts) -

Unfortunately there's a lot of tag trolling. I will admit that some of the tag trolling is funny, but at a certain point, it just becomes obstructive. For example, if you look at "masterpiece", roughly half are sarcastic.

#5 Posted by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

Unfortunately there's a lot of tag trolling. I will admit that some of the tag trolling is funny, but at a certain point, it just becomes obstructive. For example, if you look at "masterpiece", roughly half are sarcastic.

Yeaaap :/

#6 Posted by rmanthorp (4045 posts) -
grosssssssss why give any power to the people... people suck!

#7 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1627 posts) -

Tags were a terrible idea. Doesn't Steam know who its targeted audience is?

#8 Posted by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

The interesting part is that this tag system IS actually working for the positive stuff and for genres/categories in general.

The problem are the negative/troll/spite tags, that's where "the internet" being what it is rears it's ugly head. It's almost as if it needs just a bit of official control/curation cleanup effort. *cough* >.>

#9 Edited by SlashDance (1841 posts) -

Dota 2 tags: Free to Play, Better than League, ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ.

Fez tags: Choke on it, choking hazard, Diva Dev.

Dear Esther tags: Walking Simulator, Not a game, Indie, Casual.

DMC tags: Edgy, Donte, #TooEdgy4U, Shakespearean.

The steam forums are now leaking on the store pages. Genius.

edit: There's a tag for Walking Dead season 1 that spoils the ending. That sure is helpful...

#10 Edited by BigJeffrey (5143 posts) -

i think they are a great idea. ^ He He

#11 Edited by 49th (2816 posts) -

It's a great, funny, light-hearted feature.

#12 Posted by Frobitz (198 posts) -

Really can't believe Valve implemented this because, y'know, surely they have some awareness of this thing called the Internet?

#13 Posted by Sin4profit (2992 posts) -

It's a good idea but it's surprising how lazily Valve regurgitated this feature out. The negative consequence is so obvious that i have to sit back and wonder if they launched it this way knowing it would get people talking about the feature.

Aside from just the trolling, the fact that your personal tags don't work for your Library, where tags would actually be useful for people with a lot of games, is a pretty oblivious over site.

#14 Posted by T_wester (282 posts) -

Hopefully as more people use tags it will drown out the trolling.or maybe require game ownership to be able to tag games.

I find the personally recommend tags to be hilariously bland; fps, action, strategy, simulation. I'm sure these categories existed before valve outsourced it to the screaming masses.

#15 Edited by JakeTaylor (309 posts) -

Well, it ain't all bad.

#16 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2282 posts) -

maybe it isn't that bad

nope nevermind

#17 Posted by Random45 (1263 posts) -

Some of the tags are pretty funny, but yeah, it's kind of annoying that there's a lot of abuse going on, and holycrap the Witcher 1 and 2 are only SIX DOLLARS. That is freaking STEALING at that price, holy crap.

Half Life 2: Episode One in the story rich tab... Yeah, come on now. This feature could be amazing, but people are just being assholes.

A feminist tag with no games relating to it...

Hey, there's an anime tag that actually has anime related stuff in it, so that's good.

Yeah, they need someone to moderate this crap.

#18 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

Great idea. Terribly executed. For as smart as Valve is I don't understand how they were too dumb to see this coming.

#19 Edited by crithon (3441 posts) -

well it's slowly updating, from GorillaMonPena's post

well, here's the real issue, who thinks Steam Community is a bit..... hmmmm.... I don't know how to put it.... like always off? It's like a weird audience that's always odd, like loud obnoxious teenagers. Valve keeps pushing the steam community and most of the time it become a mild interest until it crashes and burns like Greenlight.

#20 Edited by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

They would not even need to moderate every tag in every game.

All that is really required is a curated list of official tags (picked out of the most used ones) that would ignore garbage like "not a game" or "masterpiece" and consolidate categories that mean the same thing (there are like half a dozen turn based strategy tags), kept occasionally up to date. And then only surface those tags out of the overall approved list, when people glance at game's store pages or do searches or in the popular tags section. The bullshit tags can even still be there, just not used/surfaced but visible when you say go to edit your own tags for that game for example.

Sure it would still be open to small amounts of abuse, but 99% of the nonsense that's happening right now would be gone.

(i will also agree with the suggestion that tagging should be restricted to those who own the game, or at least have non 0 play time if it's f2p or in case of something like a free weekend promo)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.