Valve Finally Addresses Electronic Arts' Problems With Steam

  • 160 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
Posted by patrickklepek (3508 posts) -
There are still EA games available on Steam, just not all the EA games you may want to buy.

Valve has been silent as Electronic Arts has blasted alleged changes in policy on Steam, prompting a bunch of EA games to come down from the service. EA has even gone so far as to publicly state Battlefield 3 would likely not be released on Steam at launch.

I've asked Valve to comment multiple times--but nothing.

At Gamescom, Valve founder Gabe Newell has been talking to the press about the newly announced Dota 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Develop asked Newell about EA, and while he didn't explain what's happening in much detail, Valve didn't throw EA under the bus.

"I don’t think Valve can pick just one thing and think the issue would go away if we fixed that," he said. "We have to show EA it’s a smart decision to have EA games on Steam, and we’re going to try to show them that."

There are some clear issues separating EA and Valve at the moment, and Valve appears hopeful to make the case to EA that the benefits of working within its system is worth it.

Crysis 2, Dragon Age II and others have been removed the past few months, as EA voiced concerns about its ability to communicate and sell content to consumers. EA had pointed towards its exclusivity deals over downloadable content with other distributors as one issue, but Newell makes it sound like there are larger philosophical debates about digital at play here.

"It’s our duty to demonstrate [value] to them," he said. "We don’t have a natural right to publish their games."

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3508 posts) -
There are still EA games available on Steam, just not all the EA games you may want to buy.

Valve has been silent as Electronic Arts has blasted alleged changes in policy on Steam, prompting a bunch of EA games to come down from the service. EA has even gone so far as to publicly state Battlefield 3 would likely not be released on Steam at launch.

I've asked Valve to comment multiple times--but nothing.

At Gamescom, Valve founder Gabe Newell has been talking to the press about the newly announced Dota 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Develop asked Newell about EA, and while he didn't explain what's happening in much detail, Valve didn't throw EA under the bus.

"I don’t think Valve can pick just one thing and think the issue would go away if we fixed that," he said. "We have to show EA it’s a smart decision to have EA games on Steam, and we’re going to try to show them that."

There are some clear issues separating EA and Valve at the moment, and Valve appears hopeful to make the case to EA that the benefits of working within its system is worth it.

Crysis 2, Dragon Age II and others have been removed the past few months, as EA voiced concerns about its ability to communicate and sell content to consumers. EA had pointed towards its exclusivity deals over downloadable content with other distributors as one issue, but Newell makes it sound like there are larger philosophical debates about digital at play here.

"It’s our duty to demonstrate [value] to them," he said. "We don’t have a natural right to publish their games."

Staff
#2 Edited by Sinful (211 posts) -

yep i see....just more jibber jabber PR talk.
 
by the way pat...still need to lrn to proofread your stuff....it's spelled "Bus" not "Buss"
maybe if you cut your beatuful hair youll be able to see what you post.
and send your locks to me for my "things to sniff" collection.

#3 Posted by TehJedicake (878 posts) -

Finally

#4 Posted by Vexxan (4616 posts) -

EA has to give in to Steam in the end, people don't want to go to their Origin platform no matter how good or bad it is.

Steam's where it's at.

#5 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

Kill them with kindness Gabe. EA is digging themselves a shallow grave.

#6 Posted by trombone (13 posts) -
#7 Posted by patrickklepek (3508 posts) -

Christ, you guys are fast. I've changed it and you still managed to catch it. I need a faster computer.

Staff
#8 Posted by bug9329 (48 posts) -

This is the first positive thing I've heard about the whole situation.   I'm am pessimistic about it getting fully resolved, but perhaps some the removed games can be added back to Steam.

#9 Posted by kcp12 (58 posts) -

OH SNAP...OH NO HE DIDNT
#10 Posted by MisterMouse (3541 posts) -

Well, that doesn't let us no much... hopefully they will let us know what is really going on.

#11 Posted by The_Nubster (2053 posts) -
@patrickklepek said:

Christ, you guys are fast. I've changed it and you still managed to catch it. I need a faster computer.

It means you've got fans, at least. 
 
On another note, Gabe (and the direction he has Valve going in) is ridiculously positive. I can't believe how nice this guy is. No pointing fingers, no bad names, no praise of Steam; just, "There are issues between us and I understand that EA has the right do do it's own thing. However, it would be nice if they came back and I'm gonna try and convince them to."
#12 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

Hopefully the full page ad of PRE-ORDER MODERN WARFARE 3 currently on the Steam Store page will be enough to change EAs mind about not putting BF3 on Steam.

#13 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Vorbis said:

Hopefully the full page ad of PRE-ORDER MODERN WARFARE 3 currently on the Steam Store page will be enough to change EAs mind about not putting BF3 on Steam.

Lol, I saw that and thought the same thing.

#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

Nothing will happen until after Battlefield 3 launches. If it does well in sales on PC then EA will keep doing this with all their games from this point on. If it tanks then they will come crawling back to Steam and say sorry for leaving. So here's to hoping people don't buy it! I know I don't plan to.

#15 Posted by Brodehouse (9640 posts) -

Well that's kind of informative, Gabe?

I want the future to be every major publisher having it's own download service.

Online
#16 Posted by CosmicQueso (569 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

On another note, Gabe (and the direction he has Valve going in) is ridiculously positive. I can't believe how nice this guy is. No pointing fingers, no bad names, no praise of Steam; just, "There are issues between us and I understand that EA has the right do do it's own thing. However, it would be nice if they came back and I'm gonna try and convince them to."

Because it's just business, and Gabe's a business person. The only emotional nonsense that causes internet rage comes from fanboys who confuse Steam's brand identity with their own personal identity. Or something.

#17 Posted by tourgen (4432 posts) -

I think in the long run EA should consider providing value to their customers in exchange for their cash.  Abusing customers for short term gains or to make them buy your game IN SPITE of your annoying business decisions is not good for EA or the industry.

#18 Posted by chilibean_3 (1625 posts) -

That's a pretty reasonable response by Gabe. Dude is pretty cool.

#19 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
Well that's kind of informative, Gabe? I want the future to be every major publisher having it's own download service.
Why would you want something as stupid as that to happen?
#20 Posted by sirchode (62 posts) -

Stay classy, Gabe. No really. I think he handled the question well.

#21 Posted by Jeffk38uk (715 posts) -

Clearly Valve are just going to continue to tolerate and love the crap out of EA. :P
 
Also, that is a really old screenshot of steam, damn.

#22 Posted by FriskyHeadCrab (41 posts) -

Wow, moral high ground ahoy. I'm kind of impressed.

#23 Posted by White_Silhouette (470 posts) -

Well that really doesn't give us any info. Not that I'd expect it. The business world isn't going to ever let the press know the whole story if they can help it.

Either way doesn't matter. I don't have a problem giving Origin a shot. Competition isn't a bad thing, but would be nice if the games came to Steam.

#24 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

@Sinful said:

yep i see....just more jibber jabber PR talk. by the way pat...still need to lrn to proofread your stuff....it's spelled "Bus" not "Buss" maybe if you cut your beatuful hair youll be able to see what you post. and send your locks to me for my "things to sniff" collection.

You have an interesting fantasy life.

#25 Posted by Brodehouse (9640 posts) -
@crusader8463
@Brodehouse said:
Well that's kind of informative, Gabe? I want the future to be every major publisher having it's own download service.
Why would you want something as stupid as that to happen?
Steam and Xbox and Playststion are another step in the puzzle between game and player. Everyone likes the idea of supporting developers. Right now the steps are Developer-Publisher-Consoleholder-Retail. Digital side steps the retailer. Everyone having their own digital service makes it developer-publisher. As soon as you can find a way to sidestep the publisher, we should go for it.
Online
#26 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I wish somebody would just come out and say what the hell happened exactly. Everybody is just like, "yeah, this thing that changed, changed, and now we can't do that thing!" This is all super generic public relations talk that tells nothing of the actual incident.

#27 Edited by kollay (1926 posts) -

"We have to show EA it’s a smart decision to have EA games on Steam"

The amount of people who use it isn't proof enough?

EDIT: Also, holy fucking shit. The MW3 ad in Steam is taking up 1/3 of the fucking page.

#28 Posted by D_W (1129 posts) -

To me it sounds like EA wants their digital service to be the only place to sell their games.

#29 Posted by patrick (560 posts) -

Holy ancient Steam window.

#30 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

@Napalm said:

I wish somebody would just come out and say what the hell happened exactly. Everybody is just like, "yeah, this thing that changed, changed, and now we can't do that thing!" This is all super generic public relations talk that tells nothing of the actual incident.

EA is selling their games on Steam, but the only way to get the DLC for those games is through Origin. So basically they're using Steam to push their own competing platform.

#31 Posted by artofwar420 (6262 posts) -

I hope in the end we get a better service, just not more services.

#32 Posted by The_Nubster (2053 posts) -
@CosmicQueso said:

@The_Nubster said:

On another note, Gabe (and the direction he has Valve going in) is ridiculously positive. I can't believe how nice this guy is. No pointing fingers, no bad names, no praise of Steam; just, "There are issues between us and I understand that EA has the right do do it's own thing. However, it would be nice if they came back and I'm gonna try and convince them to."

Because it's just business, and Gabe's a business person. The only emotional nonsense that causes internet rage comes from fanboys who confuse Steam's brand identity with their own personal identity. Or something.

I get that it's all business, but Gabe Newell is a charming, funny guy who's done some pretty awesome stuff, like have a video conference with some high school students . He comes off as a nice, rational guy who isn't all corporate and cold. Even though his main interest is business, you have to have a passion to get places. I don't doubt that Gabe genuinely cares about the things he talks about. Of course, when it comes down to it all, it is business, but a truly talented author doesn't just write words for money. I think the same would go for anyone in any field.
#33 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -

@artofwar420 said:

I hope in the end we get a better service, just not more services.

This x1000.

#34 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@Vorbis said:

Hopefully the full page ad of PRE-ORDER MODERN WARFARE 3 currently on the Steam Store page will be enough to change EAs mind about not putting BF3 on Steam.

Yeah, that is great timing.

#35 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

EA want people to actually use origin, but i dont think anyone will want to ever. I dont think they will back down but they will lose out if they dont play along.

#36 Edited by Sinful (211 posts) -
@august: nothing fantasy about my life. by the way..how long is your hair? not the ones on the top of your head..*wink*
#37 Posted by zolloz89 (250 posts) -

i think its hilarious that i was cleaning out my inbox and found that ea origins switch in my junk mail. 
though i think they should have commented earlier on all the bullshit, thank god we get a decent response.

#38 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

@Sinful said:

yep i see....just more jibber jabber PR talk.

Yep, that's Gabe Newell for you, best PR guy in the business. :)

#39 Edited by Codeacious (960 posts) -
@kollay said:

Also, holy fucking shit. The MW3 ad in Steam is taking up 1/3 of the fucking page.

And yet it's still selling less than From Dust. 
 
MW3 probably won't do so well on the PC, methinks.
#40 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
@crusader8463
@Brodehouse said:
Well that's kind of informative, Gabe? I want the future to be every major publisher having it's own download service.
Why would you want something as stupid as that to happen?
Steam and Xbox and Playststion are another step in the puzzle between game and player. Everyone likes the idea of supporting developers. Right now the steps are Developer-Publisher-Consoleholder-Retail. Digital side steps the retailer. Everyone having their own digital service makes it developer-publisher. As soon as you can find a way to sidestep the publisher, we should go for it.
Needing to have hundreds of accounts and different proprietary programs installed to play all my games sounds like a god dam nightmare that I hope never happens. Not to mention all the time and money each of those companies would have to waste to not only develop but maintain their own little service would cost them astronomically. Doubly so when you add on top of that that each one will have their own pros/cons and they would be in a constant arms race to copy what each other one is doing. 
 
A couple of the huge billion dollar companies like EA/Activision could get away with it for a while, and they both are trying to do exactly that, but asking all the smaller to mid range ones to do the same would just utterly bankrupt them.
#41 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

It's yet more PR talk the same kind that EA has been spouting. It's not worth a damn and if anything just highlights that this is a business decision between two businesses and not some grand war between two empires. They came to an impasse and they will probably work it out.

#42 Posted by Leadcat (238 posts) -

I wonder if the huge ad for MW3 on the Steam front page is Valve saying "This is what you're missing out on EA!"

#43 Posted by CornBREDX (4856 posts) -

Its so weird seeing all this unfold as I remember a time when Steam was not the power house digital distribution platform it is now. There was a time when this would've been meaningless and it wasn't that long ago.

I'm glad they are staying grounded though. Always classy (for real).

Online
#44 Posted by CosmicQueso (569 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@CosmicQueso said:

@The_Nubster said:

On another note, Gabe (and the direction he has Valve going in) is ridiculously positive. I can't believe how nice this guy is. No pointing fingers, no bad names, no praise of Steam; just, "There are issues between us and I understand that EA has the right do do it's own thing. However, it would be nice if they came back and I'm gonna try and convince them to."

Because it's just business, and Gabe's a business person. The only emotional nonsense that causes internet rage comes from fanboys who confuse Steam's brand identity with their own personal identity. Or something.

I get that it's all business, but Gabe Newell is a charming, funny guy who's done some pretty awesome stuff, like have a video conference with some high school students . He comes off as a nice, rational guy who isn't all corporate and cold. Even though his main interest is business, you have to have a passion to get places. I don't doubt that Gabe genuinely cares about the things he talks about. Of course, when it comes down to it all, it is business, but a truly talented author doesn't just write words for money. I think the same would go for anyone in any field.

No doubt, Gabe is Big League for sure. Other than his somewhat disturbing love of knives he seems very warm, sincere and legit.

But yes, business is business. There is room in the world for GameStop/Impulse, Origin, Blizzard, Steam, D2D, GG, GMG and many others. Steam has the highest share because they've done the best at creating value for us. And who knows, Origin may be the same (I enjoyed the free copy of Dead Space 2 after I preordered BF3) and their customer service is much, much better than Steam's.

I just don't get all the emotional responses and hatred for EA/Origin to what's a legit service offering. Whatever, I'm crazy.

#45 Posted by Brodehouse (9640 posts) -
@crusader8463 Well I did bother to say major publishers. Origin, uPlay, battle.net, Steam, so on... I'd like publisher competition to amp up to the delivery level. Exclusivity usually mandates quality. Smaller publishers would make the same deals with these services that they do with Steam and all the others already.

And maybe it's because I have one handle and password (two actually) for all my services that I don't buy the 'remember all that information!' stuff. And it's not like it's any safer to have all your games connected to a single account.
Online
#46 Posted by DoNotBanMe (45 posts) -
#47 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -
@Brodehouse: Sorry, but I just fail to see any thing good that would come from a future like that.
#48 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I find it ridiculous that people in these comments are acting like EA is in the dirt for not using Steam and that somehow, if EA doesn't use Steam, that means that they won't sell millions of copies of Battlefield 3 or Mass Effect 3. I think it'd be a shame if they don't learn to play nice, of course, but don't act like EA isn't holding any chips here.

#49 Posted by Korne (625 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
@crusader8463 Well I did bother to say major publishers. Origin, uPlay, battle.net, Steam, so on... I'd like publisher competition to amp up to the delivery level. Exclusivity usually mandates quality. Smaller publishers would make the same deals with these services that they do with Steam and all the others already. And maybe it's because I have one handle and password (two actually) for all my services that I don't buy the 'remember all that information!' stuff. And it's not like it's any safer to have all your games connected to a single account.
Well I have to fight for my handle. Sometimes I forget when it is Korne, Korne3, Korne333, or a number of others.
#50 Posted by subyman (590 posts) -

I like Steam's behavior in all this. EA was fast to slam Valve, but Valve is not doing the same. Good for them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.