Valve Smack-Talks Ouya in Big Picture Brochure

• 57 results
#1 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/thebigpicture.php

That line at the end there...I'm not really sure what to make of that. This page is aimed at potential game developers, not the public. The way I see it, they're just annoying developers who take the Ouya seriously. I mean, I DON'T and I'm impressed at Valve's cojones, it just seems very out of character for them. They're usually much classier than that.

EDIT: Since this isn't as apparent to everyone else as it is to me, scroll down to the bottom of the Ouya Kickstarer, just above the FAQ. You'll see what I'm talking about. Sorry 'bout that.

#2 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

do you mean the revolution will be televised or the last line of the second paragraph, because I don't get how they're taking it to the ouya at all

(not that I'd be opposed to them doing it but ya know)

#3 Posted by believer258 (12207 posts) -

"This revolution will be televised", is that the line you're talking about?

I don't quite see it, but then I haven't been keeping up with the Ouya beyond "ooh, they're trying to make a new game system."

#4 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

I don't think I'm seeing what you're seeing. Which line are you talking about?

#5 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Animasta:

"This revolution will be televised" is to what I am referring.

#6 Posted by Bell_End (1203 posts) -

banter

#7 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@believer258: @LordAndrew: I edited my first post in an attempt to clarify.

#8 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

this revolution will be televised was a Thing before the Ouya used it you know.

#9 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Because it's for TVs. How is that... What?

#10 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Animasta said:

You really believe that this is a coincidence?

#11 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

@Animasta said:

it's a common phrase and it involves the television.

#12 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

Absolutely. It's not a hard slogan to come up with.

#13 Posted by Synaptic (310 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

@Animasta said:

my favorite radio station has had that quote playing for years. wknc 88.1 raleigh ("the revolution")

#14 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Animasta: @LordAndrew: Well, it doesn't make any sense as far as steam is concerned. The Ouya is trying to position itself as an open-source alternative to consoles, and claims to be revolutionary. Steam isn't. The phrase has ZERO relevance to Steam.

Let me put it this way:

Either for no particular benefit Valve decided to use a nearly identical slogan as a high-profile competing product that is being aggressively marketed to the indie developers that this site is aimed at...in which case they are massive idiots...

Or it's deliberate and they're taking a quiet dig at a competitor that they don't take seriously. Ok, maybe not the smartest move, but it is actually plausible considering that we're talking about a company that tends to actually know what the heck is going on.

#15 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -
#16 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

It's a play on the popular slogan from 1960s protest movements in the United States.

Remember back when the Wii was known as the Revolution?

#17 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

And the gamecube was the dolphin.

#18 Posted by keris (168 posts) -
#19 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@scarace360 said:

@MrKlorox said:

And Dreamcast was Katana. And the N64 was Ultra 64. Codenames always seem better than the final product.
#20 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

@scarace360 said:

@MrKlorox said:

And Dreamcast was Katana. And the N64 was Ultra 64. Codenames always seem better than the final product.

Man sometimes just stick to a codename.

#21 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@keris: I refer to my previous "how out of touch do you think that Valve are" explanation.

Though I suppose that it only takes one marketing person to make that mistake.

#22 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@keris: The slogan came before the song. It's like Nintendo going with "Yes Wii-U can!"
#23 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@scarace360 said:

@MrKlorox said:

@scarace360 said:

@MrKlorox said:

They're Natal (not all) winners though.
#24 Posted by Phatmac (5728 posts) -

I think you jumped the gun here and realized that Valve wouldn't steal a phrase that the OUYA used.

#25 Posted by dudeglove (8300 posts) -

I think you're reading too much into this. "The revolution will be televised" is one of the most hackneyed sayings in contemporary culture for the past 40 years (the original quote is actually from the 1970s song "The revolution will not be televised"). It's like saying "that's the way the cookie crumbles" or something equally trite. Just because Ouya on their kickstarter wrote in big obnoxious bold letters "OUYA: The revolution will televised" and Valve said "This revolution will be televised" are two completely different things. Last I checked, Steam apps are also available on Android. In fact, if Valve has any sense they'll be more than willing to get their client onto yet another console. For free no less!

Or maybe it's one huge conspiracy. Hey! The A in Valve is a triangle! Shit, so are the Vs! Gabe is clearly after us all.

#26 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

I think you jumped the gun here and realized that Valve wouldn't steal a phrase that the OUYA used.

My money is still on it being deliberate, but we have no real way of proving it either way.

#27 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

@scarace360 said:

@MrKlorox said:

@scarace360 said:

@MrKlorox said:

Anything that involves "Durango" sounds terrible. "My new Durango is awesome!" or "My Durango is overheating". Terrible. "Orbis" is OK, though.

And this topic is pointless.

#28 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@JoeyRavn: Yeah Durango sucks primarily because it was very recently (still is) a shitty SUV. And Katana is only cool because it's a fucking ninja sword. Things that share names with real world objects/brands come with preconceptions. As much as I like to piss on Natal, Kinect is much more cringe inducing.

edit: Wait, I take that back. I genuinely wish the next xbox was codenamed Crown Victoria.
#29 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

No, Valve is smack talking the guy who wrote the song. Kind of a low blow because he's dead and can't hit them back with a diss track.

#30 Posted by evanbower (1216 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

No, Valve is smack talking the guy who wrote the song. Kind of a low blow because he's dead and can't hit them back with a diss track.

Totally. All of Valve's moves up to this point have been leading toward them taking an American soul and jazz poet down a peg.

#31 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@MrKlorox said:

@scarace360 said:

@MrKlorox said:

@scarace360 said:

@MrKlorox said:

Anything that involves "Durango" sounds terrible. "My new Durango is awesome!" or "My Durango is overheating". Terrible. "Orbis" is OK, though.

That's why i said sometimes alot of the time it's a bad name but sometimes you get a winner. Also don't like the name Orbis.

#32 Edited by Ping5000 (385 posts) -

I think it's more outlandish to consider it to be just a coincidence, especially considering it's given its own paragraph, its own color and is the final line in an announcement with very pragmatic text. All their other last lines in this brochure follow a similar form, but that line is too convenient for me.

#33 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@evanbower said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

Totally. All of Valve's moves up to this point have been leading toward them taking an American soul and jazz poet down a peg.

I can't tell if this is a joke or making fun of me, but I was not being serious. :P

#34 Posted by SomeJerk (3393 posts) -

It's you, OP. You are the names you called Valve.

#35 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@SomeJerk said:

It's you, OP. You are the names you called Valve.

Uh...the only thing that I called Valve is classy... in the context of "usually classier than this"...

#36 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1902 posts) -

"The revolution will be televised" is a play on a very old saying. That, and this is about making Steam easier to see on televisions from across the room.

Actually, I'm surprised this isn't a Kotaku article yet. They're big on these leaps of logic.

#37 Posted by evanbower (1216 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

@evanbower said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

I can't tell if this is a joke or making fun of me, but I was not being serious. :P

Haha not making fun, just joining in on the hijinks.

#38 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5101 posts) -

I can't see how is this smack talking. Both of them using the same saying which was invented decades ago.

#39 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@MrKlorox said:

@scarace360 said:

@MrKlorox said:

@scarace360 said:

@MrKlorox said:

That's why i said sometimes alot of the time it's a bad name but sometimes you get a winner. Also don't like the name Orbis.

Oh god the NGP. Thank goodness that was replaced with Vita.

#40 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

What? This is dumb. That phrase isn't even coined by the OUYA team. It started appearing in written media when the television started making broadcasts of the NASA mission to the moon in the 60s. Also, Valve has always been really ballsy. They don't give a fuck and they've shown it before. Gabe saying windows 8 is the worst thing ever comes to mind.

#41 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I'm going to have to believe that they were planning on using the slogan for some time before the Ouya phenomenon occurred. If I was Valve I wouldn't give a passing 'phantom' a second glance and would stick with what I was already doing. Which, to me, looks like is exactly what's happening. The safe bet is that the Oyua will be remembered for being one of the first big Kickstarter flounders, and not for the actual device and its capabilities. Valve is probably like "Ouya who Who ya?"

#42 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

The Revolution Will Be Televised is a pretty good show, I wonder if the fourth episode's out yet.

#43 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4825 posts) -
#44 Posted by eastendhero (1 posts) -

I'm sorry to burst bubbles here, but I'm fairly certain that Valve has had that slogan pasted on that page for well over a year. Please see here.

You can see on the OUYA Kickstarter page that it was launched 10 July, 2012.

#45 Posted by Froghourt (111 posts) -

Also, now that this has been proven to be bogus, what beef does Valve have with the Ouya? They are barely even in the same market.

#46 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

So GabeN went back in time to smack-talk the Ouya? Typical.

#47 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@eastendhero said:

I'm sorry to burst bubbles here, but I'm fairly certain that Valve has had that slogan pasted on that page for well over a year. Please see here.

You can see on the OUYA Kickstarter page that it was launched 10 July, 2012.

Aight you got me there.

#48 Edited by Indiana_Jenkins (398 posts) -

I remember seeing that page back in November 2011, and that line was there. Brad brought up the 10 Foot Interface on the Bombcast, and I searched and found that page. It had to be November 2011 because they were talking about Skyrim/Saints Row on PC and Will Smith said executable wrong.

EDIT: Or you could just look at the WayBack Machine.

#49 Posted by CrazyBagMan (859 posts) -

I could see it just as likely being a reference as not, but either way it's definitely not "smack talk".

#50 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

@LordAndrew said:

So GabeN went back in time to smack-talk the Ouya? Typical.

I guess it makes sense that Valve Time works in reverse too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.