Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Valve wants Steam on your TV?

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By Forcen

So Valve posted this press release:

Briefing Development Partners on New Features for 2011

February 28, 2011 - Valve, creator of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today disclosed its plans for a new "big picture" mode of Steam which will offer controller support and navigation designed for television interaction. Big picture mode will enable gamers to enjoy Steam and their library of Steam games on more screens throughout the house.
    "Our partners and customers have asked us to make Steam available in more places. With the introduction of Steam on the Mac, and soon in Portal 2 on the PS3™, we've done just that," said Doug Lombardi, VP of marketing for Valve. "With big picture mode, gaming opportunities for Steam partners and customers become possible via PCs and Macs on any TV or computer display in the house."

Details regarding big picture mode are among the highlights Valve plans to share with developers and publishers in its partner meetings during GDC this week in San Francisco, Ca.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/5063/

What do you think this specifically is? Is it just an controller friendly interface for steam if you are plugging your PC to your TV?
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Well I guess that is one way to clean it...

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I guess it depends on how it works. If they are talking about connecting a PC to a large screen TV, well that can be done already, if they are talking about providing software as a service where you play on your TV but the game is actually streamed from a remote stream and where ever you go you can log in and play, well that would be something I'd like to try. That would even work if I went to stay at a relatives house and wanted to play a game on their PC, instead of dl'ing and installing I could stream the game for instant play.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By fwylo

Valve can put whatever they want, wherever they want.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mikemcn

Cool dudes use mouse and keyboard on the couch, just saying. 

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aus_azn

I'd be cool with Steam on the PS3.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By JudgeDread

Well Valve is bringing some steam functionality to PS3 via Portal 2. They have probably more in the works. Maybe more functionality for PS3s  (cloud saves)  , Bravia and Google TVs

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60
    @TheKeyboardDemon said:
    " I guess it depends on how it works. If they are talking about connecting a PC to a large screen TV, well that can be done already, if they are talking about providing software as a service where you play on your TV but the game is actually streamed from a remote stream and where ever you go you can log in and play, well that would be something I'd like to try. That would even work if I went to stay at a relatives house and wanted to play a game on their PC, instead of dl'ing and installing I could stream the game for instant play. "
    OnLive does streaming, and if Steam did it and everybody praised it. I would /facepalm.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Crono
    @CL60 said:
    " @TheKeyboardDemon said:
    " I guess it depends on how it works. If they are talking about connecting a PC to a large screen TV, well that can be done already, if they are talking about providing software as a service where you play on your TV but the game is actually streamed from a remote stream and where ever you go you can log in and play, well that would be something I'd like to try. That would even work if I went to stay at a relatives house and wanted to play a game on their PC, instead of dl'ing and installing I could stream the game for instant play. "
    OnLive does streaming, and if Steam did it and everybody praised it. I would /facepalm. "
    Pretty much this lol
    SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By SammydesinasNL

Definitally sounds like Steam on PS3.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They're just optimizing steam for use on TV's by adding gamepad controls and probably increasing font size & stuff, so people can easily use steam if they connect their PC to their TV. It's not going to be on the PS3, they clearly say in the press release that it's via PC's and Macs.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hexx462
    @CL60 said:
    " OnLive does streaming, and if Steam did it and everybody praised it. I would /facepalm. "
    But what if Steam did it and it doesn't suck? Will you /facepalm then?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By CL60
    @hexx462 said:

" @CL60 said:

" OnLive does streaming, and if Steam did it and everybody praised it. I would /facepalm. "
    But what if Steam did it and it doesn't suck? Will you /facepalm then? "
    Considering the majority of the reviews say OnLive runs perfectly fine, and most of the complainers are saying stuff like "What if my internet is down?!" or "I don't want my game to stop just because my internet goes down!" It wouldn't matter.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By MrKlorox
    @MattyFTM said:

" They're just optimizing steam for use on TV's by adding gamepad controls and probably increasing font size & stuff, so people can easily use steam if they connect their PC to their TV. It's not going to be on the PS3, they clearly say in the press release that it's via PC's and Macs. "

Obviously this. Currently the program itself doesn't support controllers for navigating and launching games. Now only if all multiplatform ports to PC offered a controller option like their originals... (looking at you, Bioware)

This is handy for me since I have to use a controller when playing games in the living room because my wireless M+K combo has terrible lag at that distance, and I can't get USB in there without moving my whole PC.
    JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By JudgeDread

So they will have an alternative interface for TV then?

Just changing text size (which is alright for me as it is on 1080p tv.) will do nothing. They will have to change the interaction experience with a whole new GUI for gamepads. Get rid of the tables and walls of text, menus and make it a more  touchy feely experience with more focus on images and objects instead of text.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.