Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

What is your reaction upon seeing this sort of ad?

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OfficeGamer

I always skip Steam advertisements of.. I don't even know how to describe the [first impression of] the following kind of game's ad. Sure, it looks indie and small time, but many of my favorite games are indie and small time, so I don't think I skip for that reason.

Anyway, I always skip the following kinds of ads that show something cheap and new I've never heard of that is probably some typical indie game:

No Caption Provided

So I just saw this and skipped it, then I hit the 'back' button to look at it more closely. You might find me a jerk or a moron for skipping without checking, but Steam is loaded with this kind of obscure simple-looking game, and I'm just not interested. They all look and cost the same, and I never hear of them again.

So I started wondering, what do others do when they see something like this? Do you click on it out of curiosity? Do you skip it like me? Or maybe you actually get excited whenever you see something like this and you probably end up buying it?

What's your thought process when you see a ten dollar game called Dollar Da$h with a simplistic, perhaps humorous, cartoony cover?

My thought process is "whatever, another one of those, Steam being Steam. I should play some more New Vegas / Trine 2 / Skyrim / Limbo / Alan Wake's American Nightmare right now."

P.S. I double dare you to find the Steam concept page on your own. You get a hundred search results, I had to ctrl+F the Valve page and result number NINE was the linked one.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Buy-buy-buy.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I scan it in case it's interesting and close it in less than a second.

That's it. It has at most 1 full second to grab me.

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i close them immediately. All the information i need is on the front page of the store

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Capum15

I click through and do a quick scan, though sometimes I just close it. I usually only click one if it's a game I've been looking at and it's on sale.

Edit: Thinking about it a little more, I've just closed them immediately the past few weeks.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I usually read that window when it comes up to see some of the new stuff that's coming out. Most stuff doesn't interest me (including things like Modern Warfare), but I take a second to look in case it's what I'm into.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I scan it in case it's interesting and close it in less than a second.

That's it. It has at most 1 full second to grab me.

Dis right hurr. Maybe once or twice, something popped up that caught my eye and I actually bought.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

That game looks like App Store trash. I'll give you a play-by-play of what I did when I saw it:

• Launch Steam, that window pops up.
    • "I'd better scroll through these to see if there's anything I'm interested in."
    • "Nope, nope, nope... wait. What the hell is this Dollar Dash crap?" *Flips off computer screen*
    • Click Next, see that buying Tomb Raider will net me some TF2 goodies, instantly buy Tomb Raider, forget that the past ten seconds ever happened.
    mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'll give it a glance if i've never heard of it. but i don't think i've ever bought a game directly after seeing one of those ads.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By TobbRobb

That window I just close without looking. Might browse the steam frontpage for random shit when I'm bored though.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I power click thru them, that being said I read very quickly so I do generally reflexively note what I see.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I know what games i'm interested in and use these ads only as a reminder that they are indeed now available. If i don't recognize it i don't pay attention to it. When i'm in the mood to find something new i go look for it on my own.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I always close it instantly. I only click on it the few times there is a really good sale being advertised.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By super2j

I ignore those, the only time those ads do anything for me is when something I already am aware of goes on sale... a good game that is.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By toowalrus

I generally mentally block out anything I see being marketed to me. I buy what I want to buy, ads do nothing but annoy me.

Which has a weird impact on normal life. I rarely watch TV, and when I do, I'm the kind of person who grabs the remote to mute the commercials. Every time. Then idiots at work quote stupid shit, and I get to experience awesome moments like "Haven't you seen that skittles commercial where-" "Let me just stop you there, no, I haven't." That, or I just give them confused looks and shake my head.

...God, I hate my job.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I don't think I've seen that window in years. Seriously did I manage to turn it off somehow? I literally can't remember the last time it showed up.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sometimes I browse to see what's new but I always wait until sales to buy what I want anyway so the ads are useless to me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@toowalrus: Sounds more like you hate your co-workers.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i usually flip through em to see if there's a deal or something new that i didn't know about

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus: Sounds more like you hate your co-workers.

No... I wouldn't hate them just because they enjoy commercials or because they watch more TV than I do, I've got my fair share of bad habits, too. They're fine people, though the fact that I'm 10 years younger than most of them and I have to be their boss makes it difficult for us to be friends sometimes (though I am friends with a handful of them). My job though, I'm an assistant manager at a pizza place, and my alcoholic asshole boss has just been making things... annoyingly difficult lately- and I feel like some of them have been taking their frustrations out on me- not that I really care, I just can't wait to get the hell out of food service.

Pikawai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can disable them IIRC. Sometimes I skip them and sometimes I check them out, depends on the amount of time I've for playing and/or my boredom level.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ripelivejam

i feel bad because except for the deep discount games that i already know exist, nothing really grabs me either. whatever perks for new release games (i.e. TF2 junk) just doesn't matter to me in these days of green man gaming. i was TEMPTED to drop a five-eh on Ace of Spades as it briefly caught my eye, but forums say the game's pretty borked [/offtopic].

these kind of ads must appeal to a slightly more casual group i suppose...

also i wonder what roller coaster rampage's sales numbers were like.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nictel

I browse through them, I only really check discounted items or new games that look interesting. I think I can still count the times that has led to a purchase I wouldn't have done otherwise on one hand.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#24 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I'll scan through them but it's almost always either 1. stuff I already knew about, or 2. stuff I don't care about.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have those popup ads disabled, but I do check store.steampowered.com multiple times per day (it's one of the 5 tabs I open every time I open firefox: GB, Facebook, girlfriend's tumblr, Steam, Gmail). If there's anything new on the store or on sale I usually give the game's page a quick runthrough just to see if it's interesting at all. If something catches me I'll watch the trailer and then look for reviews/extended video; if it looks like generic garbage (like Dollar Dash did) then I'll just close the page and never look at it again.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If it's a game I've never heard of I'll usually go to the page to look at the screens to see what type of game it is. It's on that page that I'll gauge my interest. I'll never judge a game on a non-gameplay advertisement

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've needed to reinstall Steam a few times over the past couple of months because of weird TF2 issues, and each time I do I always forget to disable those popups. The thing with them is that I'll check Steam's storefront at least once a day, so they never really tell me anything that I don't see anyways. They don't really serve much of a purpose, but I can see why they'd by default enable them to try to hook people into buying some more games that they'll never actually play but are cheap so you'd be wasting money if you didn't buy them.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By tourgen

got those turned off by default

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like those ads, sometimes you see stuff that you never heard of before that catches your interest. Or maybe there's an old game that was just put on Steam that you never knew was going on Steam but have been wanting to (re)play. I personally go through them all, it only takes a few seconds and sometimes you find a game you really enjoy.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost always close the ad window.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tourgen said:

got those turned off by default

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#32 gamer_152  Moderator

You know usually adverts bother me, but those ones on Steam don't really, I just close the window and don't think about them. That Dollar Dash one specifically looks kind of cheap though, but I don't think Dollar Dash looks like an amazing game in general.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.