When and why did Steam change to charge games in Euros..

#1 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

..Instead of Dollars?

I just noticed as I bought bastion that I was charged in euros and that fucking sucks, why did they do that? :(

#2 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Uhm..Since forever? D:

#3 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@Prodstep:  
Dude, what?
#4 Edited by RIDEBIRD (1232 posts) -

If you're in Europe, which I guess, then since about three or four years ago.

#5 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

Can't you set up an American account and pay in dollars?

#6 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

It's been that long? shit I've been thinking I've been paying dollars all this time, I guess that's what I get for not reading.

#7 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

Yes.

#8 Posted by Beforet (2921 posts) -

Only kinda related: is it true that Steam assumes a 1:1 exchange rate between dollars and euros? Like a $50 game will be a €50 game?

#9 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

@Beforet: Yes, that is why I never noticed I guess.

#10 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2294 posts) -
#11 Posted by Pepeman (112 posts) -

50 euros = 67,70 dollars.....:(

#12 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@Beforet said:

Only kinda related: is it true that Steam assumes a 1:1 exchange rate between dollars and euros? Like a $50 game will be a €50 game?

Unfortunately, yes :(
But it goes beyond Steam, even-- PC retail games in most of Europe are commonly sold at €50, as if no exchange rate conversion was needed. It's ridiculous, really...
#13 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@Beforet said:

Yes. But not for sales I think. Borderlands was 5€ here, but 7,5$ in the US... I think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.