Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Which rpg off steam

chrisovc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By chrisovc

Only have time to really get involved with one rpg, got it down to either The Witcher or Dragon age: Origins, any suggestions?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

Dragon Age.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Binman88

I played about 100 hours of Dragon Age and a little under half that for The Witcher. Loved both of them, but my vote goes for The Witcher.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Dark_Jon

Mass Effect is $5 for the next 3 hours but if you already played that, get Dragon Age. If you get The Witcher, its bugged on Vista and Windows 7 where it crashes when you save, you can find the fix on the Steam forums.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422

Both are great RPGs. I honestly, because The Witcher is currently only 14$ on Steam, would buy both of them, and then you yourself just decide which one to start and which one to wait for. Wont be that price forever, best to get it when its a steal.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Dark_Jon said:
    " Mass Effect is $5 for the next 3 hours"
    Yeah, if you haven't played Mass Effect, it's a bargain at that price, I'd thoroughly recommend it. Even if you're not looking for a sci-fi RPG right now, you can always buy it now and play it at some point in the future.
    chrisovc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chrisovc
    Actually played mass effect already, and i agree its an excellent game, cant wait for mass effect 2
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Dragon age orgins, get the witcher if you like to get bored.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Vigilance

I'd go dragon age. 

You can also get KOTOR for a really low price off steam, which is a great RPG for you if you liked Mass Effect. 

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By lucas_kelly

Even though the Witcher had some short comings, I still had more fun playing it than Dragon Age. 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust
    @ChrisOVC said:

" Actually played mass effect already, and i agree its an excellent game, cant wait for mass effect 2 "

If you played other bioware games, beside dragon age, buy the witcher. Their rpgs are getting formulaic and though there are some differences, especially in the context, they are more of the same.  Also the setting from dragon age is derivative, as it is heavily inspired in the Lord of The Rings. 

The witcher is a good game, more innovative than dragon age, and with the indie charm and creativity. Though more action oriented, a hack and slash, while Dragon Age is more of a full fledged rpg. Besides that the developer has also given for free a number of side stories for the witcher, made both by them and some by groups of fans of the game. 

And haven't you considered Torchlight? That is also a great hack and slash, more addictive than Dragon Age and The Witcher.
    Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Bobdaman18

I'd go with Dragon Age, I could never really get into the Witcher.  Dragon Age does a really good job with their decision making process compared to Mass Effect.  Its not the standard nice choice, mean choice, neutral choice, its more like shades of gray and decisions sometimes have unintended consequences.  I think one of the bombcasts went into why the choices you make in Dragon Age are so great in more detail/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.