Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

why do PC Gamers have such a hard on for Steam

• 123 results
    jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jetsetwillie

and why is it such a big deal if some games don't go to steam.

would you really NOT buy a game purely because it wasn't available on Steam?

Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Onno10

Some love steam

Some like steam

Some don't really care

Some dislike steam

Some hate steam

Stop generalizing

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By JoeyRavn

This has been discussed before ad nauseam. Most of us will buy a game regardless of whether it's on Steam or not. The thing is, Steam is a great platform with incredible sales. It doesn't feel like DRM at all; in fact, it greatly enhances the experience of playing a game on PC: friend lists, Achievements, automatic patching, cross-game chat, etc, etc, etc. Besides, most of us like having all our games in one place, avoiding the need to have multiple accounts on multiple services.

But something tells me you're not really interested in a proper answer, right?

ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ErrorOperator

People love steam so much because it is a genuinely good piece of software. It is also a big deal if PC games don't get put on steam because the PC sections in brick & mortar stores are so tiny now (Not including the huge "2 for £15" "3 for £10" sections in GAME) and they're usually more expensive in shops!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sooty

I like having stuff on Steam because:

A) I already bought into the platform a long time ago so it has most my games

B) The friends list and community stuff is pretty damn good now

C) Steam sales!

D) Instead of having to have multiple clients open, with separate friends list I can have everything in one place (ideally)

E) Games are just there. If I feel like playing something I just double click the game in my list and spam enter 3-4 times, then the game starts downloading and automatically installs. No fuss, no muss.

D is the reason I don't want Origin, but I'm gonna have to use it for BF3 it seems. Bit annoying to launch a client just for one game and have to add people to an entirely different friends list for that service. Oh well.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By niamahai

'cause having a hard on for a mega corporation is bad! gotta support the indies yo!

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Grumbel

Easy, Steam is very comfortable. All the problems of manually searching for patches, sitting through long installs, having to have a disk in the drive and so on don't happen with Steam. Steam also has good integration of forums and such. The problem is that a service as Steam can only really play out its advantages when it's the only service around, if you have five different online stores, apps for each of them, they just become annoying, as you having to login into a new service for each game you wont to play. People simply don't want more shitty shop apps on their PC when the stuff they have already works perfectly fine.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Steam understands how to operate in a modern market, and they're about the only ones in the games industry who do.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

There are two sides to Steam: The one where it is the greatest platform to ever happen to PC games because of their prices and support, interfaces and user friendliness, and the one where it turns the PC into a zombie console platform that revolved around ease of use and exclusivity  

While I love Valve and Steam for single-handedly keeping the platform alive and well, I dislike how PC gamers now do not fathom the brain cells to mess around with game files and update shit on their own.

Fizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fizzy

It makes it easy to find and download games. It's convenient, you don't need to go to the store, and there are some pretty good sales on there. I'm not a PC gamer because my computer sucks, but what few games I'm able to play I downloaded off of steam.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jimbo

I can take it or leave it - Steam doesn't add any value as far as I'm concerned. I'd buy every game direct from the developer / publisher if they offered that option at a competitive price.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti

In addition to all of the above it arguably saved PC gaming from a dark place it was headed towards.

Personally I don't care if the game isn't on Steam, per se. But retailers in my area suck, so buying PC games from them is frequently not an option and other online retailers also suck in terms of ease of use and how good they are at handling credit card transactions.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By Addfwyn

I live in a country where PC gaming is virtually nonexistent and finding physical copies of PC games requires going to speciality import stores that charge ridiculous prices.

Steam is cheaper.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vodun

Because steam is warm and wet.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wolverine

Steam is excellent, but I would never not buy a game solely because it wasn't available on it.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By korwin

Why do console gamers have such a hard on for xbox live? The reason is more or less the same, it's the best service with the largest player base.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By MachoFantastico

As someone who as just had an absolute nightmare trying to buy Trackmania 2 off NADEO/Ubisoft's own purchasing system, it's given me even more appreciation for what Steam does. I've been spoilt with how easy it is to purchase and download games with Steam. Just sad that so many companies are getting all upset with Valve lately.

But if you want to know why PC gamers love Steam so much, it's simply a situation where no one as done it as well as Steam.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By phrosnite

I prefer buying retail boxes of PC games but I love when they also support Steamworks because I can resister the game on Steam and play it without the disc :)

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By matoya

Because you click a button, and you own a PC game. It's just great.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By swoxx

Because it's awesome to have your pc games easily installed, uninstalled, all in one place, easily updated, gaming statistics, community aspects etc etc etc etc. I'm mainly a console gamer by the way

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vexxan

I don't play many games on PC but when I do, Steam gets the fucking job done, and done well.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @jetsetwillie

and why is it such a big deal if some games don't go to steam.

would you really NOT buy a game purely because it wasn't available on Steam?

You forgot to add:

'Yours Sincerely,

EA Origin'
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@Jimbo said:

I can take it or leave it - Steam doesn't add any value as far as I'm concerned. I'd buy every game direct from the developer / publisher if they offered that option at a competitive price.

Same here. But yeah, Steam is a neat service, even though I much prefer GMG and other cheaper ones. I mean, it's 50% cheaper, Steam isn't that good. But I do like the community features a hell of a lot.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MezZa

It's a handy service. Has nice community features and the sales can lead to some fairly cheap prices. I wouldn't avoid a game that I want if it wasn't on steam, but if it is on steam that's probably where I'll go to get it.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm

I don't really like the amount of ill-though troll threads that have been popping up lately.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

It's easy, it's fast, it's safe and the sales are insane.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jetsetwillie

@Napalm said:

I don't really like the amount of ill-though troll threads that have been popping up lately.

how is it a troll thread. im just asking why someone would deny themselves a game just because it was not on steam.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FritzDude

It's a good service, but It's too cheap sometimes, which i feel dirty about, weird as that sounds. As for for the other, of course i don't care if the game I want is on Steam or not, as long as the provided DRM or whatnot is not a pain.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mekon

@AhmadMetallic: Try "some" PC gamers.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TehFlan

Because Steam sales. And I'll buy games that aren't on Steam, I'm just a bit less likely to hear about them.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By warchief

I like steam mainly because I never have to go to a retail store [gamestop] ever again.

sociald1077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sociald1077

@jetsetwillie said:

@Napalm said:

how is it a troll thread. im just asking why someone would deny themselves a game just because it was not on steam.

The same reason people would say that they would boycott MW2 because it wouldn't support dedicated servers and then go on to buy it anyway, because this is the internet and its easy to take an issue to hyperbole for no reason.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Akeldama

Because its reliable, extremely fast, has a vast library, day and date launches and of course, the best motherfucking sales in the industry.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Questionable

Steam sales are fantastic often putting games on sales before retail price drops, also at 75% discount you can just "try" out a game witout feeling bad even if it does turn out complete crap.

Infinite installs

Browsing your games becomes as easy as browsing youtube!

Ease of purchase

Everywhere any time!

Got 3 PC's at 2 diverent homes? no problem!

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By twigger89

PC gamers love steam because it is the best digital distribution system period, bar none. It blows the console DD systems out of the water, and even other PC DD systems are consistently playing catch up to steams features, and very few can match the price of steam games during steam sales.

At the end of the day, PC gamres love steam because steam competes more with itself than it does any other service, they refuse to sit on their laurels and are constantly improving a service that is already well ahead of the competition.

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jimmi

@AhmadMetallic said:

I dislike how PC gamers now do not fathom the brain cells to mess around with game files and update shit on their own.

I dislike how elitist PC gamers, in trying to sound smarter than everyone else, abuse the English language.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MeierTheRed

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

It's easy, it's fast, it's safe and the sales are insane.

Sums it up. you get games right at your fingertips, a few clicks and your downloading. And one click and your playing. It just works.

Towers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Towers

@Vodun said:

Because steam is warm and wet.

I hate Steam because it's moist and juicy.

Honestly though, I really do not like Steam. I prefer D2D because I would rather download the .exe file and not have any programs controlling or launching my software.

I have a lot of games on Steam but I have a lot of games from D2D too.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@niamahai said:

'cause having a hard on for a mega corporation is bad! gotta support the indies yo!

Actually that doesn't really have anything to do with it. Steam comes from the Valve Corproation so it's run by a mega-corporation to begin with and it supports both indie titles and titles from huge corporations.

People like Steam because it has a lot of useful features that can be easily accessed during any game and there are lots of good sales. As for people wanting certain games on Steam that's because it means all your games are in one place, and it makes the games all easily manageable. For some having games on Steam also helps them keep down less desirable rival services like Games For Windows Live and EA Origin. In the specific case of some people not wanting to buy games from Origin, it may also have something to do with the fact that the EULA on Origin basically gives permission for EA to run spyware on your computer. Steam may do data collection on your system but it's not as aggressive and you can opt out.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Steam has it's good parts and some bad parts. The prime features have already been mentioned. What sucks about Steam is that it's tentacles are reaching everywhere to the point of being forced to install a Steam client in order to activate games purchased at retail on Steam as well which is just plain wrong IMO. Another bad aspect to Steam is that all of your games will become useless data should Valve ever decide to pull the plug.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Because unlike a certain thread, it doesn't suck. And yes I would really not buy a game if it wasn't on Steam. I want BF3, but not enough to sign up for Origin so I said screw it, there are plenty of other games anyway. I do make exceptions though as I bought WoW, Guild Wars(at the time I wanted to buy it, it was a lot cheaper to get elsewhere), and LotRO from their respective services.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By time allen

steam's pretty great, yo. the only thing i actively dislike about it is buying a game at retail and then finding out it's only an activation code which doesn't install from the disc.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jetsetwillie

@BabyChooChoo said:

Because unlike a certain thread, it doesn't suck. And yes I would really not buy a game if it wasn't on Steam. I want BF3, but not enough to sign up for Origin so I said screw it, there are plenty of other games anyway. I do make exceptions though as I bought WoW, Guild Wars(at the time I wanted to buy it, it was a lot cheaper to get elsewhere), and LotRO from their respective services.

but whats so bad about Origin. will you not be playing Diablo 3 as that won't be on Steam either. does battle.net offend you too

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Karkarov

You know it blows my mind how many people bitch about "retailers in my area" on a video game website on the internet. Every retailer on the planet is "in your area". i have bought plenty of games from europe, asia, etc in the past and got them at 5-10 dollars more than normal retail including shipping. PC games have never been hard to find, they weren't before steam, they aren't today, and they wouldn't be if steam imploded tomorrow. Truthfully steam is DRM, it is just really good at pretending it isn't, and the mega corporation thing.... do you really think Valve is an indie developer???

So why is steam so important? Because PC gamer internet culture thinks it is. Myself? I hate DRM in all forms, and when i boot up a game if it makes me run a third party app well then.....

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By valrog

Because it's great. Huh, I guess that answers most of the "Why do people like X" questions. The more you know.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By dagas

I remember back in the day when I created threads like "Why do people hate Steam?" How times have changed.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jetsetwillie

@CaLe said:

If I buy a Steam game it feels permanently mine, forever. Any other service and I don't get that feeling, hell even with retail I don't get that feeling.

but you do realise that is just a feeling and is not actually reality.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By falling_fast

I pretty much use steam and GOG for all my pc gaming. Much better than having a fuckton of discs sitting around and worrying about them getting scratched and dirty.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By veektarius

Because it makes me feel like I still own my downloaded games even after I delete them. Much more of a hassle to recover them with other services. And the sales are great.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By amir90

I like steam.

And I would buy a game if it wasn't steam supported.

rofl.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.