So I was one of the few that bought this day 1 at full price...

#1 Posted by Driadon (2997 posts) -

And I've played an hour with it, and, yes, the Kinect recognition is pretty goddamn shitty in this game (It always seems to cut off my arms during calibration, specifically my right one....). That said, I have yet to feel actual frustration, because I'm so wrapped up in all of the cool shit. I really love the feeling it has of being in this enclosed VT, and how the story and characters change based on who lives and dies over the course of missions. I do hope they end up adding proper competitive multiplayer and, of course, updating the code for their tracking, but I'm actually having a lot of fun. Is it $60 of fun? Na, I should have waited to snag that $40-45 range that Amazon is selling it at now, but that doesn't mean that I outright regret the entire purchase. I really do implore that people who are interested in this kind of experience give the demo a couple tries, it's still a Steel Battalion game.

#2 Posted by Driadon (2997 posts) -

Err, I guess I should have set this as a blog. Sorry folks! Didn't mean to spam the forums with a topic that kind of wraps itself up like this.

#3 Posted by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -

@Driadon said:

I do hope they end up adding proper competitive multiplayer and, of course, updating the code for their tracking, but I'm actually having a lot of fun.

As for the tracking, 50% of the gameplay revolves around the Kinect. If they couldn't get it right during the duration of the games primary development, I doubt they're ever gonna.

As for the competitive multiplayer, the game is dead in the water. The studio is not gonna try and turn a initial reception of 3/10 around, so I doubt they'll pour any resources into tacking a multiplayer component onto this steaming pile of shit.

It kinda sounds like you're trying to justify your shitty 60$ purchase to yourself with this post...convincing yourself it's pretty cool because, hey, 60$ is kinda a lot of money to just throw out the window. I've been there, hope fooling yourself works out and you have an awesome time with Steel Battalion, dude.

#4 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Driadon said:

it's still a Steel Battalion game.

HA!

#5 Posted by jerseyscum (870 posts) -

PWNED

#6 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

1. Denial 
2. Anger 
3. Bargaining 
4. Depression 
5. Acceptance 

#7 Posted by EXTomar (4683 posts) -

What does "It's still a Steel Battalion game" mean???

#8 Edited by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Dude's enjoying a thing he bought. Must we rob him of such happiness?

#9 Posted by corruptsaves (214 posts) -

Glad your getting some enjoyment out of it. But more than ever I always wait till I see enough of a game in action to get a bit of a feel of the game before buying. + a bit of reviews and quick looks.

#10 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

YES!

#11 Posted by iAmJohn (6117 posts) -

I might still buy this when it drops down to rock-bottom prices in a month or so. It's like Sonic 2K6 - I need to know, man.

#12 Edited by bybeach (4790 posts) -

The last 2 replies. I understand the Steel Batalion remark, though I never played it. it retains the atmosphere or some such.

The guy is just saying he seems to be getting more out of it than most, though he recognizes he paid too much.

Okay...

#13 Posted by Welding (144 posts) -

Wish they added a no-kinect option.

Just lemme move my hands with the controller dammit.

#14 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance said:

@Tylea002 said:

YES!

It's the internet- tis our job to sap the happiness out of innocent bystanders. :P

@iAmJohn said:

I might still buy this when it drops down to rock-bottom prices in a month or so. It's like Sonic 2K6 - I need to know, man.

If I had an Xbox and Kinect of my own- this mindset would be pretty hard to resist. XD

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Does Kinect recognize the original Steel Battalion controller?

#16 Edited by dandead (171 posts) -

@EXTomar: I does not mean this awful game that's for sure.

I have had the pleasure of playing the first game thanks to my friend having the game and the cockpit controller. Not only does the controller make you feel like your steering a VT but it actually works. The mission and enemy design was much better also, even the first stage which has no tutorials (it's even a part of the story line that your a guy who has NEVER piloted a VT before) played a lot better than this because you could actually react to stuff and had a radar and you where not trying to navigate a freaking minefield with god awful controls.

The first game was tough but fair, this new game is just shit!

#17 Posted by PixelRyan (6 posts) -

I got it for 45 on amazon and am digging it. I actually played both the original and this, the first game was no cakewalk either, I remember tipping my mech over several times just trying to get out of the garage in the first mission of the original game, the point even with physical controls was that it was hard to control the giant mech.

#18 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Let the Kinect and move die so we can move on to real games

#19 Posted by Residentrevil2 (441 posts) -

So far I'm enjoying the game. But, it does need better check points and more open spaces.

#20 Posted by theoldhouse (439 posts) -

I have gonorrhea

NO REGRETS

#21 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

You WILL feel buyers remorse, damnit! Someone explain to him how shitty it is!

#22 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

Brad said there will be a niche group that will actually enjoy it, guess you are in that niche. I might be too, but I am not willing to bet $60 on it.

#23 Posted by Shaolinstyle (22 posts) -

has it been patched yet!! out of interest to who ever has the game, that fixes the kinect troubles

#24 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

Does Kinect recognize the original Steel Battalion controller?

HA!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.