Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steve Jobs

Person » credited in 12 games

Steve Jobs, along with Steve Wozniak, started Apple Computers. Despite a 10 year departure from the company he returned and was the CEO of the company until his retirement in August, 2011. He died just over a month after his retirement, on October 5th, 2011.

Steve Jobs Takes Stab at Adobe/Flash.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#1  Edited By citizenkane
    http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Open the SPOILER WARNING to read the entire letter here:

What are your thoughts on this?

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By fini_fly

I'll come out and say I'm not a Steve Jobs fan, or an Apple fan and It'll be interesting to see what the fanboys will do when he's done at Apple.

Having said that, I'm glad that he came out and said that they will not support Flash so that Apple and Adobe can stop their public bickering. They both look childish and foolish by publicly flaming the other party, when they should be working together to bring a better experience to their customers. If this statement ends this, then all the better.

It is true that Flash is a memory hog and uses up lots of resources, so using it on mobile devices, be it phones, tablets or laptops can really drain the battery. But being a fan of open source software, I believe that HTML5 will eventually start to phase out FLASH. Google owns YouTube, and I know Google is backing HTML5, so all of those YouTube flash videos will eventually be coded in HTML5. So really it's just a matter of time before Flash is phased out. Now, despite this, I feel that developers should have the freedom to develop using the tools their feel will make their product better. And since HTML5 is not going to be fully implemented anytime soon, Apple is really alienating a lot of developers.

Finally, I have the highest respect for Adobe for their efforts to bring Flash to the Linux desktop. Even if it will be phased out, they show their quality for their efforts to bring this current essential service to as many users as possible.

Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Brontes_Muse

I think that steve's letters have always been insightful. (He made two earlier one on DRM and the music industry and another on HTML future and web standards.)  I think when it comes down to it in 3 years flash will be phased out like other technologies apple has abandoned first like floppy disc drives, serial ports, and DVD-rom drives.  However when it comes down to it apple is allowed to control their platform.  Microsoft Sony and Nintendo all control their consoles much tighter than apple.  You can't program a game in objective-C (apples language) and expect it to run on the xbox.  Peggle on the xbox is rewritten from flash to C+ to run on the xbox.   Ports suck, all gamers know that.  Apple doesn't want a program being designed on Flash and ported to the iphone.  That's Shitty software.   

Don't think of the iphone as a closed computer, think of it as a very open console.  The appeal of consoles is that everything works.  Conflicting languages make things buggy and crash prone.   

@fini_fly said:

" I'll come out and say I'm not a Steve Jobs fan, or an Apple fan and It'll be interesting to see what the fanboys will do when he's done at Apple.   

I think there are some very good people behind Steve Jobs at apple,  Both Scott Forthstal and Tim Cook.  I feel that steve jobs is the perfect combo between a product visionary and a ruthless business man.  Scott Forstall is the visionary, while Tim Cook is Ruthless way more than Jobs could ever be.   Tim Cook is the one who's driving the flash memory supply chain, and Forcing apples component pricing down.   I really believe that Steve is steering the company but it's Tim Cook who not only gets it done, but does the dirty work.   

I also believe that Apple learned some lessons in steve's absence.   You cant stop R&D, and you can only put out a few solid products.  Don't spread your self thin.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.