Raptors Fans: Would you like to see Steve Nash come to play for Toronto?

#1 Posted by JCTango (1366 posts) -

#2 Edited by JCTango (1366 posts) -

Hey Raptors fans, as you might have known by now, Raptors are currently courting Steve Nash to come play for the team this upcoming season. Last season, he averaged 12.5 points and 10.7 assists a game for a mediocre Suns team and passed Hall of Fame point guard Oscar Robertson for fifth in career assists.

Nash grew up in Victoria and was named the general manager of the Canadian men's basketball team in May. It would be a nice boost to the team both in terms of talent and in terms of identity, since there are not that many Canadians playing in the NBA.

He is getting a bit old in age by now (38), but he is still performing at a pretty high level. According to ESPN sources, Raptors have been rumoured to offer him a three-year deal worth $36 million. Many have wanted the Raptors to get a young energetic PG to replace/backup Calderon, but I would be happy if Nash joined the team.

Edit:

Steve Nash & Kobe Bryant

Well I guess this poll doesn't matter anymore - he's made his decision it seems - rumours flying about him going to the Lakers for draft picks.

Kind of surprising to me, since he did say,

"The truth is I'm a bit old school. For me, it would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey. That's just the way it is. You play against them so many times in the playoffs..."

So it looks like he will be playing for his former team's rivals. Not sure how I feel about that, but hey, I guess that's just the way the business goes.

#3 Posted by Nightriff (5260 posts) -

No, he should stay a Sun or retire, those are his only options

#4 Edited by JCTango (1366 posts) -
Steve Nash & Kobe Bryant

Well I guess this poll doesn't matter anymore - he's made his decision it seems - rumours flying about him going to the Lakers for draft picks.

Kind of surprising to me, since he did say,

"The truth is I'm a bit old school. For me, it would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey. That's just the way it is. You play against them so many times in the playoffs..."

So it looks like he will be playing for his former team's rivals. Not sure how I feel about that, but hey, I guess that's just the way the business goes.

#5 Posted by Marz (5668 posts) -

no, being that i'm a native Arizonan and i'm selfish.

#6 Posted by JCTango (1366 posts) -

Raptors GM did some pretty ingenious maneuvering to try to lock Nash up, but I'm afraid what he did probably blew up in his face.

#7 Posted by DukesT3 (1941 posts) -

If he really doesn't give a shit on winning a ring then sure. He should just go to the Heat.

#8 Posted by HistoryInRust (6380 posts) -

The Lakers' front office just told Toronto to suck it.

#9 Posted by JCTango (1366 posts) -

@HistoryInRust: Nah, I think Nash did that better than anyone else could... lol.

#10 Posted by heat (190 posts) -

The fucking Lakers? Jesus Christ.

#11 Posted by HistoryInRust (6380 posts) -

And the Lakers got him without giving up either Bynum or Gasol.

Nashty.

#12 Posted by JCTango (1366 posts) -

@HistoryInRust: Yeah, Lakers kind of got a deal there. They're going to have to find some young replacements soon though. From what they got now, they can make a bigger impact than what they did this past season. They got key guys in pretty much all the positions.

#13 Posted by Sander (414 posts) -
@HistoryInRust said:

The Lakers' front office just told Toronto to suck it.

No, that was me.
#14 Posted by Sackmanjones (4785 posts) -

Steve will always be a Sun in my heart...

#15 Posted by pweidman (2358 posts) -

Nash wasn't willing to move away/play far away from his family unfortunately for the Raptors. He did not prefer to play for the Lakers and said so. Thing is the Suns get a bunch of high draft picks. They did well considering the situation. Me, I hate the Lakers but love Nash... so wtf now? Perplexing to say the least. I guess it'd be cool for him to go out w/a title win.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.