This Is Why I Hate Strategy Games

#1 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Cool beans if you have patience enough to play a game like this but, good grief, I've spent 3 days trying to beat the mission after the tutorial and I still can't do it. I'm not asking the game to hold my hand - this is an incredibley complex strategy game that I've no doubt series veterans will revel in - but good grief does it have to be so elitist and smirk back in my face everytime I lose as if to say "haha, we're not going to tell you what you did wrong because you SUCK".

As someone who hasn't played a strategy game since Settlers IV I'm just fucking lost at what to do. There's no checkpoints so every time I die I have to replay the first 20 minutes over and over, it makes absolutely no sense as to why the enemy troops seemingly take like my whole army to take down, when just 4 of their troops can take out half of my team.

Perhaps I'm not using the environment. Perhaps I'm not "doing it" right. Perhaps I'm a n00b. All those things are probably correct but, shouldn't the game, y'know, give me, at the very least, a tip or two?

#2 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Word is that it has a horrible control scheme and that's the main problem.

Wait for Demigod, or try Supreme Commander.

#3 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

I will see a video review of this on our local games show (Good Game) tomorrow.  I will watch with interest (saw a preview of it on last weeks show).

I relate to what you say though.  Sounds painful.  I love RTS (I have a lot of them), but I am not great at it and I get really annoyed when the enemy seems so much better, without obvious good reason.
#4 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
atejas said:
"Word is that it has a horrible control scheme and that's the main problem.Wait for Demigod, or try Supreme Commander."
It's ok. Whip select works but, when you have lots of units cramped together it's really difficult to hone in on the unit you actually want. Also there is very minimal grouping so you have to keep truding units forward one by one which is annoying.

Other than that the controls are ok, but no replacement for a keyboard and mouse I shouldn't think.
#5 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
get2sammyb said:
"atejas said:
"Word is that it has a horrible control scheme and that's the main problem.Wait for Demigod, or try Supreme Commander."
It's ok. Whip select works but, when you have lots of units cramped together it's really difficult to hone in on the unit you actually want. Also there is very minimal grouping so you have to keep truding units forward one by one which is annoying.Other than that the controls are ok, but no replacement for a keyboard and mouse I shouldn't think."
Wait, you're playing on a console?
#6 Posted by Drebin_893 (2902 posts) -

KVO said on his Twitter that you wont play a worse strategy game than Stormrise this year.

Boom.
#7 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
atejas said:
"get2sammyb said:
"atejas said:
It's ok. Whip select works but, when you have lots of units cramped together it's really difficult to hone in on the unit you actually want. Also there is very minimal grouping so you have to keep truding units forward one by one which is annoying.Other than that the controls are ok, but no replacement for a keyboard and mouse I shouldn't think."
Wait, you're playing on a console?"
I've been playing the Playstation 3 version, oui. I would like to point out at this moment that I didn't buy the game.
#8 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
get2sammyb said:
"atejas said:
"get2sammyb said:
"atejas said:
Wait, you're playing on a console?"
I've been playing the Playstation 3 version, oui. I would like to point out at this moment that I didn't buy the game."
I wasn't even aware Stormrise was out for consoles.....
Yeah, pick up the PC version. Or if what Drebin said is true, don't bother.

If you have a good enough PC, pick up Company of Heroes, it's not very demanding.
#9 Edited by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

1. Props for the Hot Rod reference. (+1)
2. Judging RTS games on Stormrise is like judging racing games on Big Rigs.

#10 Posted by mr_registered (109 posts) -

So the general notion is that this is an iffy game. Little bit glad I just lost out on an eBay bid for this

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.