Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Strategic Dismemberment

Concept »

Strategic dismemberment allows players to separate an enemy's limbs from its body without killing it, disabling limb-specific functions.

Was there "strategic dismemberment" in Halo 1?

jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By jasondaplock

Maybe its just not coming to me, but I don't remember any particular anti-appendage action for the original Halo game. Even more odd to me would be that it doesn't appear in the later games.

Can someone either remind me of where it happens or, accordingly, remove Halo 1 from this list?

tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tmontana1004

Killing the flood required you to shoot their limbs off when they were down if that counts.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pause422

It doesn't. Only game that should be here is dead space..although coining this term in general I really don't think is right...dismemberment in general maybe, but in this exact term no other game than Dead Space should be here.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

Several other games attached to this concept don't belong either.  Ninja Gaiden II certainly does not have strategic dismemberment...it has dismemberment.  Same thing with a few of the other titles people have attached.  Some of these other games I either can't remember or I'm not sure about, but I'm pretty sure most of them can be safely removed also.

Even the description of this concept needs editing: 

Among the first games to make the switch from scripted to dynamic strategic dismemberment was Fallout.  Fallout encouraged  players to target specific portions of an enemy's body to reduce body-part-specific statistics, such as speed from a leg.

That isn't dismemberment...it's strategic targeting, which is completely different from what a title such as Dead Space does.  Crackdown and GTAIV are the same way, I removed them.

Is there an existing concept for regular dismemberment?

tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tmontana1004
    pause422 said:
    "It doesn't. Only game that should be here is dead space..although coining this term in general I really don't think is right...dismemberment in general maybe, but in this exact term no other game than Dead Space should be here."
    You are wrong. I haven't played it yet, but Jeff specifically said that in Fallout 3 you could shot a guy in the legs with your V.A.T.S. to stop them from charging at you and then finish them off.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mike
    tmontana1004 said:
    You are wrong. I haven't played it yet, but Jeff specifically said that in Fallout 3 you could shot a guy in the legs with your V.A.T.S. to stop them from charging at you and then finish them off."

Will their legs get blown off though, or does the guy just slow down?
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crunchUK

hm you could dismember flood from what i rermember. not sure how strategic itwas though :P

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By atejas

It depends. It was strategic because shooting their limbs off caused them to become meat shields.
    In 2 and 3 the Parasite would just leave the corpse should the arms be dismembered.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike

Hm, good poind Atejas.  Maybe this concept should just be renamed to Dismemberment? 

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By atejas
    MB said:
    "Hm, good poind Atejas.  Maybe this concept should just be renamed to Dismemberment? "
    That would be stuff like Ninja Gaiden or Gears of War, where dismemberment is just 'look at the pretty blood'.
    Dismemberment here actually affected gameplay, so no.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By zitosilva

Some things are exagerated... like Resident Evil. How is blowing up zombies heads strategic? You instantly kill them. If just killing is strategic then anything goes...

But on things like Eternal Darkness I agree. 'Cause you could take out parts of the enemies to avoid being attacked, and if I'm not mistaken some of them could only be beaten if you took out all the right parts.

Blade_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Blade_Hunter

Depends killing instantly the target by hitting a weak point is strategic, however the headshots are specific and all games with headshots can't be put under this concept, because this concept regroups games with head decapitation and the fact that the other limbs can be removed to kill or weaken the enemy, so in fact a game that allow to rip off enemies' limbs when he is alive should be added on this list, otherwise there is other concepts.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Wow, that was a big bump. Anyways, I do remember in Halo: CE you could shoot off both arms of a flood and it would still be alive. It would follow you around and be unable to whip you or whatever the the hell it did.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By gamb1t

afro samurai

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DoctorOptimist

Somewhat, you could shoot the flood's arm off, but it's not as realized or deep as Dead Space. There was this one FPS that did have strategic dismemberment from 1997 for the PC, it's called Chasm: The Rift.

Blade_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Blade_Hunter

Yeah it was a fun game despite the level design and the lack of truly original weapons the rest worked fine and the shooting was very fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.