Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 12, 1999

The third and final iteration of Street Fighter III, including a wealth of gameplay and design revisions while introducing several new combatants.

Am I the only one having a problem?

Fenrisulfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Fenrisulfr

I don't know if this is common place in fighting games on the 360 (I quit playing fighting games since rage quitting SF4 with that easy to insane difficulty bug at release [I didn't know about it]), but does anyone have problems actually controlling their character? I move forward, Ryu jumps. I move back, Ryu jumps. I jump up and forward, he jumps straight up. I try again but attempt to go backward, again, he jumps straight up. I try and do a special, he launches a regular fire ball. I try to do a shur-howeverthefuckitsspelt, and he launches a fireball instead. I try and launch a fireball and instead he punches.

Can someone fill me in on if I'm missing something? Is my controller not working? Are the analog sticks really this bad on the controller?

I don't have these issues with any other games. This is looking to be another poor purchase. I'm getting my ass handed to me and not in the way that I'm learning anything. Things just aren't coming out when I tell them too.

M_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By M_33

Maybe stop playing upside-down. That might help a bit. 

On a serious note, that sounds like a messed up controller to me. Is it the same deal in SF4?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Undeadpool

@Fenrisulfr: I'd say start using the control pad. It's not great on a 360 (though it can be fairly easily modded), but it's better than the analog stick, you DO get a better degree of precision. If that doesn't work, I'd seriously look into if your controller is broken.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By TobbRobb

The stick sucks for jumping and dashes, but the problems with specials are probably because you pull the stick too far up, trust me, try and keep it as low as possible when pulling forward. If you still jump, that shit is broken.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@Undeadpool said:

@Fenrisulfr: I'd say start using the control pad. It's not great on a 360 (though it can be fairly easily modded), but it's better than the analog stick, you DO get a better degree of precision. If that doesn't work, I'd seriously look into if your controller is broken.

Or... make the pain much easier with a little money on a MadCatz or a PDP pad. 360 d-pad is trash level trash.

Using an analog stick for a game that doesn't utilize sensitive movements is a big NO NO. The two mentioned pads are straight forward on directions especially the PDP pad that makes use of microswitches.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Catarrhal

The above post is exactly correct; you're really not supposed to use an analog stick for fighting games. Still… having said that, the 360 controller's D-pad is quite possibly the worst shit ever made, so you're kind of screwed either way. One solution is to simply not play 2D games on the 360. Otherwise, yeah… you'll want to consider buying some kind of third party controller.

Fenrisulfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fenrisulfr

@M_33:

I honestly couldn't tell you. I don't have SF4 anymore. I chucked it back to Gamestop a couple of days (and a broken controller or two) later. Only afterwards, as in months, did I hear that the game had been bugged.

It really sucks trying to play a fighting game for the first time in about a decade only to get rolled as bad as I did. On easy.

@ThePhantomnaut:

I have looked into getting a fighting stick, but those things can be fucking expensive! I know I'm bitching about the control, or perhaps just my controller, but it is only a $15 game after all. Other than that, I haven't heard exactly good things about the Madcatz stuff. I'm looking up the PDP pad right now.

What is it with no Xbox controller using some kind of 8-point microswitch d-pad tacked onto it's design?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@Fenrisulfr said:

@ThePhantomnaut:

I have looked into getting a fighting stick, but those things can be fucking expensive! I know I'm bitching about the control, or perhaps just my controller, but it is only a $15 game after all. Other than that, I haven't heard exactly good things about the Madcatz stuff. I'm looking up the PDP pad right now.

What is it with no Xbox controller using some kind of 8-point microswitch d-pad tacked onto it's design?

MadCatz is good quality with fight pads and sticks. Their pads are very close to the Sega Saturn controllers which were respected for fighting games use. PDP is more accurate though. The thing with microswitches are that they are a bit big in general so putting it on a 360 controller might enlarge it by a lot.

Rek503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Rek503

I haven't had any problems playing the game itself, but I've had completely random bugs happen. One game I played online had a ton of color palate issues where it looked like sprinkles were all over the the characters. Another the same color bug happened, except we played the other persons character. The 3rd weird thing that's happened is the same color glitch on the person I was playing, but only my character was not there at all. Only thing I could see was the black circle on the bottom where my character was suppose to be. Anyone else experience this?

Fenrisulfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fenrisulfr

@ThePhantomnaut:

I'll look into them more then. Thanks for the help.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.