Soooo many Ryus and Kens...

#1 Posted by psylah (2167 posts) -

Of about 20 matches in a day, about 15 will be Ryu or Ken. 4 will be Akuma. 1 will disconnect before choosing a player.

I just assume they would have picked Ken.

At launch, I just assumed it was because everyone was just starting out, and testing the online play. But now, months after release, it's still the same. A neverending cavalcade of Ryus and Kens, some pretty decent, and some still spamming hadoukens and doing wakeup dragon punches.

The SF3 roster is great. All of these characters are alot of fun to play, but maybe 1 in 50 fighters choose ANYONE but a shoto fighter!

What a waste!

#2 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Ryu is pretty cool.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

This is what killed it for me on SSF4. I got good with Ibuki in single player. Did most of her training. Went online. 10 ken spammers in a row. 

#4 Posted by NinjaHunter (972 posts) -

I like playing ryu or ken every once in awhile but yeah they're popular. At least fireballs are pretty much useless in this game.

#5 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -

@NinjaHunter said:

I like playing ryu or ken every once in awhile but yeah they're popular. At least fireballs are pretty much useless in this game.

I regularly get beaten up by Akuma players who just jump about throwing fireballs so I'd argue with that ;)

#6 Posted by psylah (2167 posts) -

@mubress said:

@NinjaHunter said:

I regularly get beaten up by Akuma players who just jump about throwing fireballs so I'd argue with that ;)

Not to mention that, GGPO be damned, the timing on parrying is still a bit off when playing online. To the point where I am less confident in attempting to parry than just blocking the projectile outright.

#7 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -

@psylah said:

@mubress said:

@NinjaHunter said:

Not to mention that, GGPO be damned, the timing on parrying is still a bit off when playing online. To the point where I am less confident in attempting to parry than just blocking the projectile outright.

Yeah I still only feel confident blocking full screen fireballs and really slow obvious attacks. I try and parry supers but for the most part I get hit by some if not all of it, and don't get me started on Ryu's Denjin hadouken! For those that don't know you can't block it you have to parry it, jumping over it is possible but most players activate it when you get knocked down so you wake up into it :(

#8 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

They are the flagship characters of the series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.