Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 12, 1999

The third and final iteration of Street Fighter III, including a wealth of gameplay and design revisions while introducing several new combatants.

Trial Help Thread

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By AndrewJD

As much as I would like to say I made this thread so I could help other people out, the truth is I need help myself really so here it is :P

Basically if you have a problem with a trial in 3SO then post here with as much information as possible, for example: 

"Trial: Dudley No.4 - Five Crouching Roundhouses (cr.HK) followed by ducking upper into super.
    Problem: Unable to combo all the cr.HK together."

Then hopefully someone will respond with the answer to your problem; in the above case you need to make sure you have your opponent in the corner and then move forward fractionally between each cr.HK (thanks to Jamie for that).

Some videos for the trials are up on VepserArcade's channel so check them out here.They can be handy if you aren't sure of the timing of certain moves etc but don't help with everything :) 

If your struggling with the parry trials then check out a video I made which has commentary and tips for each of them.
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AndrewJD

I'll kick things off with Yang's trial No.2 - Standing Forward (medium kick) followed by Forward Senkyuutai into Tenshin Senkyuutai (Super).

My problem is that I can't land the super, it's that simple :) HELP!!

EDIT: I have the opponent in the corner so it's not that.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By VicRattlehead

having problems with kens 4th one ex tatsu into super and was having trouble with that dudley one... ill give it a go tomorrow

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By TechHits
    @mubress said:
    I'll kick things off with Yang's trial No.2 - Standing Forward (medium kick) followed by Forward Senkyuutai into Tenshin Senkyuutai (Super).  My problem is that I can't land the super, it's that simple :) HELP!!  EDIT: I have the opponent in the corner so it's not that.
    you can't land the super? or you can't get it to come out?
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AndrewJD
    @TechHits said:
    @mubress said:
    I'll kick things off with Yang's trial No.2 - Standing Forward (medium kick) followed by Forward Senkyuutai into Tenshin Senkyuutai (Super).  My problem is that I can't land the super, it's that simple :) HELP!!  EDIT: I have the opponent in the corner so it's not that.
    Can't land it, I'm always too late.
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TechHits
    @mubress said:
    @TechHits said:
    @mubress said:
    Can't land it, I'm always too late.
    It's hard to say because I can't see you doing it, but it could be a spacing issue. Try leaving some room between Yun and the corner. Unless you're missing it by alot, then you might just need to work on your timing :P
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AndrewJD
    @TechHits: Got it in the end, just wasn't doing it fast enough once I landed. No input shortcuts like SFIV so spamming double fireball motion doesn't work here :(
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By mnzy
    @VicRattlehead said:

having problems with kens 4th one ex tatsu into super and was having trouble with that dudley one... ill give it a go tomorrow

Don't do that Ken trial in the corner, you need to be on the other side of Elena after the EX-tatsu.

I'm having trouble with the 25% Makoto handicap trial. Is there some cheap way to do it? Such an uphill battle.
    Footsies don't work because he starts parrying those at the end.
    huelarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By huelarl

Makoto vs Q is one of the worst matchups in the game (for Q, obviously), so it's really quite easy. Just poke him a bit with mp and cr.mk from the right distance, jump in with mk, hk and tsurugi and dash in (with optional jab tick) karakusa into combo. In the corner he is one of the characters you can do hp xx ex hayate > lp hayate, you should have him stunned rather quickly. If you see him do anything just dash in and grab, if you can't parry his dash punches on reaction just keep in mind that they're safe on block. 
    In general, Q really can't do a lot as a character against her with his crappy normals, she dominates him entirely.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AndrewJD

A video I made covering all ten parry trials in 3SO with commentary and tips on how to do the harder trials. Added to the OP as well.

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By countinhallways
    @mubress: Thanks for that video man, some of those parry trials were doing my head in. The more I play 3SO the more I come to realise that SF4 being my first real fighting game has resulted in my execution being approximately utter shite. Even some of the most basic cancels in 3S are giving me trouble.  

Ah well, for the best in the long run I guess.
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AndrewJD
    @countinhallways: Yep, I know how you feel :) To begin with I wasn't having much trouble but the more I play the worse it gets. I default to grinding the stick for uppercuts like in SFIV but that doesn't cut it here, basic combos are really hard and don't get me started on using parrying in a real match!!

It all takes time I guess.....
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mnzy

What I don't understand yet is when to parry during a super animation (the slo-mo). The first advanced parry trial against Dudleys super is probably the best example, when do you have to input the command? Before the slowdown, during or after? Also, I just realised I have to parry that low if he's close...damnit.

@huelarl
    Thanks for your input, I did it after many tries shortly after my post. I guess I was lucky because I can't do half the stuff you mentioned.

Also, the trials are overall harder, but there are only 5 for every character so that the difficulty lvel is raised pretty quickly.
    I did all of Chuns and Qs so far, Dudley is giving me problems now.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AndrewJD
    @mnzy: You have to parry before the super flash and it's still just a normal parry not a low one for trial 6. Watch the video I posted for some tips.
    Vyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Vyse

Thanks for the video, it really helped! The only two parry trials I have left are the first and last expert trials and learning that I have to parry right BEFORE the zoom in of the super will help me out.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AndrewJD

I'm stuck on Akuma's 4th trial, Standing roundhouse to raging demon. I thought I was just messing the timing up but then I tried doing the demon on it's own and that doesn't work either?!

The input is the same as in SFIV and I can do it there, am I missing something here?

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mnzy

I'm stuck on that one, too.
    I don't even know if you're supposed to do cl.hk or the far away one. I canceled it several times correctly already, but it never connected.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TechHits
    @mubress said:
    I'm stuck on Akuma's 4th trial, Standing roundhouse to raging demon. I thought I was just messing the timing up but then I tried doing the demon on it's own and that doesn't work either?!  The input is the same as in SFIV and I can do it there, am I missing something here?
    it's the same as the super version of the demon not the ultra one.
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AndrewJD
    @TechHits said:
    @mubress said:
    I'm stuck on Akuma's 4th trial, Standing roundhouse to raging demon. I thought I was just messing the timing up but then I tried doing the demon on it's own and that doesn't work either?!  The input is the same as in SFIV and I can do it there, am I missing something here?
    Yeah that's what I'm inputting...............I must be doing something wrong I'm just not sure what.
    jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jaycee13
    @mubress said:

@TechHits said:

@mubress said:
    Yeah that's what I'm inputting...............I must be doing something wrong I'm just not sure what.
    Try doing it slower and more deliberately. You have a good amount of time between the input of the st.hk and the demon. Try to stretch it out and make the last input be just after the last recovery frame. Also, I believe the distance you are from the other player is key for it to land.

As for my problem, I am stuck on Ken's last trial. I understand you need to cancel into super from a certain distance so that it hits Q on the way down, knocking him up for the juggle. I just can't make the second super launch because the last hit (the knee which triggers the rest of the super) always wiffs.

Edit: I managed to do it. For anybody having trouble: Get Q in the corner and stand right next to him. Jump back once and then proceed to do ex.hadouken > sa3. the last hit of the tatsu should knock Q back up. The second super must be done the instant you come out of recovery (the timing is very strict for this part, the rest of the combo is easy in comparison). The super should again knock Q back up. If the last ground hit doesn't connect Q will fall straight to the floor. Now, dash forward (or walk forward slightly) and jab.srk then instantly ex.srk. As soon as I landed the second super correctly, I had no problem with the rest of the combo.
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AndrewJD
    @jaycee13: I've been struggling with that Ken trial as well, I'll try what you said next time I'm on.
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VicRattlehead

@jaycee13: i keep on dropping Q out at the second super as well... tis frustrating cause im getting the 2nd super out as soon as ken lands like in the vesper video but the end knee never connects

jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jaycee13
    @VicRattlehead said:

@jaycee13: i keep on dropping Q out at the second super as well... tis frustrating cause im getting the 2nd super out as soon as ken lands like in the vesper video but the end knee never connects

If you aren't already, try to piano the inputs to triple your chances of the super coming out at the correct frame. I always piano supers on 3rd strike as well as occasionally double tapping since it doesn't give you as much leniency as with sf4.
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VicRattlehead

@jaycee13: yeh ive been paino'in the inputs, seems awful strict.... i remember the producer dude doing an interview saying all the trails are useful in match, lol

edit: stuck now on chuns last one and still can't get that god dam ken one finished... on the bright side i got akumas done

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.