Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 12, 1999

The third and final iteration of Street Fighter III, including a wealth of gameplay and design revisions while introducing several new combatants.

Will I need a joystick for Online Edition

AiAi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AiAi

I have always loved the look of 3rd Strike (the sprites are beautiful), and it looks like a lot of fun. I am excited for the new Online Edition, but I have some concern about controlling the game. I have a 360, and, as has been said before the d-pad is a mushy waste of time. I was able to make do in SFIV, however. My questions boils down to whether or not the parry system requires a level of precision that will make my standard controller useless. In short, can I have fun with this game if I don't want to shell out the dough for a stick?

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shiftymagician

Yea it's possible to have fun if you don't mind being disadvantaged often by dudes playing with sticks who aim for a high level of play.  If you can enjoy the rest of it and can handle what will be an unpredictable online experience, you should be good.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mesoian

Eh. 

I mean, What's your definition of "make due?" 

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

What you need is a stick/pad with microswitches and a CRT tv/computer monitor.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Maajin

If you'replaying against other people with 360 controllers, you will have fun. Don't ever go online, though. I'm serious. Ever.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By fripplebubby
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CL60
    @theplatypus said:

If you'replaying against other people with 360 controllers, you will have fun. Don't ever go online, though. I'm serious. Ever.

Eh, if it matches people up based on skill similar to SFIV online probably wouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure if it does this though, I haven't really been following this.
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @b_dwarf: The inputs in third strike are much stricter than SF4. You won't be able to get away by mashing on the dpad, so you have to be very precise. Piano inputs are also very important for landing supers, and those are nearly impossible to do on a regular controller. 
    Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Winger

For the online portion I wouldn't doubt you NEVER win a match against a stick player. Already got one and to me it's the only way to play, especially third strike, it's much more complex.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Three0neFive
    @ThePhantomnaut said:

Also, you can only play in a sterile environment during a full moon.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Pessh

It's all about what you're most comfortable with, try shit out and go with what you like best. Top players have been using pads for years, albeit the minority.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@Three0neFive said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

Also, you can only play in a sterile environment during a full moon.

Needs moar glasses.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#13  Edited By StarvingGamer

Nah stick isn't necessary, it's all about what you're comfortable with and can execute on. It's true that a high level of precision is necessary but you CAN accomplish that with a D-Pad if you work at it. If you're finding that the mushy Xbox controller isn't working, I'd recommend picking up one of the newer controllers with the twisty transforming D-Pad or one of the MadCatz fightpads. One of the top SSFIV players in the world Wolfkrone uses a pad, and he uses C.Viper who is easily one of the most execution-heavy characters in the game.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CL60
    @RaikohBlade said:
    @b_dwarf: The inputs in third strike are much stricter than SF4. You won't be able to get away by mashing on the dpad, so you have to be very precise. Piano inputs are also very important for landing supers, and those are nearly impossible to do on a regular controller. 
    I am even having massive problems doing supers on my stick lol.
    taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By taccyp

I think that getting good with a stick is a much faster process than getting good with a pad (not saying that pad is "bad", it's just easier to learn on stick). Third Strike is a very technically demanding game and it's very strict with inputs. My best advice to you would be to buy a cheap, entry level stick. If you look hard enough to can find quality sticks in the 40-50 dollar price range. I started on the Hori Fighting Stick 3 and then upgraded to a madcatz TE many months later.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @StarvingGamer said:

Nah stick isn't necessary, it's all about what you're comfortable with and can execute on. It's true that a high level of precision is necessary but you CAN accomplish that with a D-Pad if you work at it. If you're finding that the mushy Xbox controller isn't working, I'd recommend picking up one of the newer controllers with the twisty transforming D-Pad or one of the MadCatz fightpads. One of the top SSFIV players in the world Wolfkrone uses a pad, and he uses C.Viper who is easily one of the most execution-heavy characters in the game.

That's still SF4, which has ridiculous input leniency. Third Strike is a totally different beast. I'd like to see Wolfkrone be halfway decent at Third Strike on a pad.   

@CL60: I have the same problem when I play that game. With practice, it gets easier, but still. That's when you realize how easy it is to pull off ultras and supers in SF4. Third Strike kicks you in the face and makes you relearn the most basic things. Two low shorts with Ken into SA3 is harder than doing SRK > FADC > ultra with Ryu, even though an FADC requires more inputs. More inputs doesn't mean it's harder, folks. Not to mention a simple low forward into super in Third Strike, not only is it really hard, you have to be an expert in hit confirming as well. In SF4, hit confirming means links. Not so in Third Strike, you need to just be experienced and look for it the hard way.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CL60
    @RaikohBlade: Yeah, I've never played the game before, and I just started and I'm sitting here trying to do supers as Oro and they are only coming out less than 5% of the time, and in SFIV I can do my ultras 100% of the time.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By StaticFalconar

you tap forward at the right time to parry, so technically you don't need no fightstick for that (since MK has a bunch of moves that are tapping in some direction, and people don't say you need a fightstick to play MK), but it really comes down to what you're comfortable with. The days of being laughed at for using pad are over. I;ve seen people post on here so ready to shell out money for a stick, only to find out after they wasted their money, they should have gotten a 3rd party pad with a better D pad, since they just cannot get comfortable with a stick no matter what. 

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StarvingGamer

@RaikohBlade: I've always found that I'm more accurate with directional inputs on pad and piano button inputs on stick, but I see no reason why it couldn't be the other way around. I don't know how technically demanding Tekken is in terms of inputs, but those players seem to have no problems executing on pad. It's true that they only use 4 buttons but either a fightpad or simple training of your left trigger fingers should let you work around that.

It's true that if we were starting from 0 it may be easier to become proficient with stick than it is with pad. For a player that already has a significant amount of experience as a pad player, however, I believe it would be more beneficial to build on their existing abilities than start over from scratch in the opposite direction.

EDIT: Also I don't know if Wolfkrone plinks or not but in general SSFIV players are no strangers to piano inputs.

EDIT2: Also oddly enough I find it significantly easier to cr.MK hitconfirm Ken or Chun's Super in SFIII than to SRKxxFADCxxUltra and pull off 1 frame links in SFIV. Maybe I'm just weird.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @StarvingGamer said:

@RaikohBlade: I've always found that I'm more accurate with directional inputs on pad and piano button inputs on stick, but I see no reason why it couldn't be the other way around. I don't know how technically demanding Tekken is in terms of inputs, but those players seem to have no problems executing on pad. It's true that they only use 4 buttons but either a fightpad or simple training of your left trigger fingers should let you work around that.

It's true that if we were starting from 0 it may be easier to become proficient with stick than it is with pad. For a player that already has a significant amount of experience as a pad player, however, I believe it would be more beneficial to build on their existing abilities than start over from scratch in the opposite direction.

I started out playing fighting games on pad, and you could say I had a decent amount of experience. I switched to stick, and though at first I was worse, I quickly started to improve my execution skills. It's not that hard to switch, you know. You're building on existing abilities in your head, and all you have to do is adapt them to a stick. 
    SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

@Fripplebubby said:

Why are you asking Will to give you a joystick? I doubt he'll comply.

Read the title again if you don't get my clever, clever pun.

Don't worry, duder, I was thinking the same thing when I first read the title.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By StarvingGamer

@RaikohBlade: I guess it's just different strokes. I started as a pad player then migrated to stick for a few years but I felt my personal skill ceiling had capped and now I'm back primarily to pad use where I'm more comfortable and significantly more consistent.

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fang273

You could always start playing on a keyboard with ggpo while it's still up. If you enjoy the game enough, it's easy to migrate to a hitbox for about the same price as a madcatz TE.

As far as playing with a pad goes, it's doable. You probably won't enjoy the game as much though, since it'll be much harder to get things to come out how you want them to.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By TechHits

If you played sf4 on a pad and enjoyed in I wouldn't feel pressured to run out and buy a stick. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By JJOR64

YES YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By scarace360
    @ThePhantomnaut said:

Fuck ya man bust out the dreamcast copy.
    psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By psylah

I was torn between buying a fightstick and a fightpad, so I just gave up and bought a racing wheel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.