Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Any PC Players willing to help me NOT suck?

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Codeacious

I love Street Fighter 4. I bought it on the PC about 3 weeks ago because I didn't have a console I could play it on, and it was highly acclaimed. The problem is- I suck. I can't even beat Seth on Easy after 20 hours of playing, I get owned online by people with 100 GP, I have all the characters but Seth unlocked, and 2 of Chun-Li's Hard trials done (all the normal ones done as well). I can pull off moves if I want too, but I don't think I'm really understanding the tactics of fighting... are any PC players willing to show me what I'm doing wrong?

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Do you have a good gamepad or are you trying to play it on a keyboard? And how do you have everybody but Seth unlocked if you can't beat Seth?

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Fbomb
    @isnipeyoudie: 

I'd say, don't use a keyboard. Once you aren't using a keyboard, don't limit yourself to advice from PC players only, as the game mechanics and strategy will be the same despite the platform you're playing on. There are a number of FAQs out there, and game videos, as well as official strategy guides you can look into, but the first major impetus is to level the playing field, and get yourself either a gamepad or a fight stick. Go from there.
    mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mementomori

I still don't understand the third ryu trials about cancelling. I got through a few of them because of luck but can't pull it off often. Also, how fast do you have to do the quarter circles for metsu and shinku? hadokens?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I hope your not using a keyboard. Special moves are your friend, you can't really fight without them. I suggest you play more single player for now instead of online, alot of ppl has experience at this game. Also learn to block all the time, it's pressing back, or back down, you can't really do much if your defense is aweful. Also as i've said, if you don't learn your special moves, you have no offense.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    @MementoMori said:
    " I still don't understand the third ryu trials about cancelling. I got through a few of them because of luck but can't pull it off often. Also, how fast do you have to do the quarter circles for metsu and shinku? hadokens? "
    You can only cancel a move when you have the super meter filled with two bars (half way full). Say you have Ryu's ultra ready, what you want to do is shoryuken your oponent, hold down the charge attack, forward dash, and then pull off the ultra. As the oponent falls to the ground, the ultra fireball with hit them (8 times).  Your super meter will be empty though (because you FADC'd). It takes a little getting used to, but it's really not too difficult imo.  

As for OP, I would gladly play with you my friend. My Fight-Pad will (hopefully) be dilivered this Friday, if not then Monday, and I will hit you up ;)
    mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By mementomori

The charge attack is the 2 medium buttons together?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox

I just bought SF4 on the weekend Steam sale for $20, but I only have a pair of unmodded 360 controllers to play with (shitty D-Pad). I ordered a Hori EX2 360 arcade stick for it (it's also cool to have one for classic arcade games) for $60. Seems they are the same price as they were two years ago :(

It'll take about a week to show up, but I don't plan on playing the game until it gets here. Anybody else own one?

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    @MementoMori said:
    " The charge attack is the 2 medium buttons together? "
    Yep, you can use it for a lot of nifty things such as absorboing hits, regular attack, invincible attack, or complete knock-down.  
    @MrKlorox
    said:
    " I just bought SF4 on the weekend Steam sale for $20, but I only have a pair of unmodded 360 controllers to play with (shitty D-Pad). I ordered a Hori EX2 360 arcade stick for it (it's also cool to have one for classic arcade games) for $60. Seems they are the same price as they were two years ago :(  It'll take about a week to show up, but I don't plan on playing the game until it gets here. Anybody else own one? "
    I really want to get my hands on a stick (only have the Fight-Pad, it's pretty good but some of my moves have a hard time coming out). Would you mind sharing where you got an EX2 for $60? That's a little cheaper than the Madcatz sticks, and I don't really want to spend too much money. 
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox

Ebay. I used Google shopping. 60 was the cheapest I could find including shipping (some were listed around 45 but had 17+ bucks shipping). Here's the query.

Things I read about it are that it's VERY Japanese as far as arcade sticks go. Ball top stick, square stick guide instead of octagonal, convex buttons, etc... but no American style sticks compatible for the 360 were even close to the price I was looking to pay (however I'm totally thinking of building a phat-ass MAME machine with an X-Arcade Tankstick some time in the future).

I almost bought the fightpad combo, but decided against it since I already own two MS 360 pads and am the only gamer in the household. But the 360 compatibility of the stick and multitude of modification guides on the net persuaded me to pay $20 more than I had planned on it.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    @MrKlorox said:
    " Ebay. I used Google shopping. 60 was the cheapest I could find including shipping (some were listed around 45 but had 17+ bucks shipping). Here's the query.

Things I read about it are that it's VERY Japanese as far as arcade sticks go. Ball top stick, square stick guide instead of octagonal, convex buttons, etc... but no American style sticks compatible for the 360 were even close to the price I was looking to pay (however I'm totally thinking of building a phat-ass MAME machine with an X-Arcade Tankstick some time in the future).  I almost bought the fightpad combo, but decided against it since I already own two MS 360 pads and am the only gamer in the household. But the 360 compatibility of the stick and multitude of modification guides on the net persuaded me to pay $20 more than I had planned on it. "
    Hmm, well I looked on Amazon and it seems to have a pretty good overall rating. The only real downside (more like annoyance really) is that the stick clicks kind of loudly, but that isn't too big of a deal I guess. I'm still not sure though, I really want the TE to be honest, haha, but that beast is pretty expensive.  

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your stick, and I will (hopefully) fight you some time next week ;)
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Jolly_Lolly said:

I'm still not sure though, I really want the TE to be honest, haha, but that beast is pretty expensive.   Anyway, I hope you enjoy your stick, and I will (hopefully) fight you some time next week ;) "

Agreed, but after coming across that Tankstick, another $50 for a trackball and second player input seems pretty reasonable -- if one were going to drop $150 on a single arcade stick anyway.

Sounds fun, but don't rape me too hard. We had zero actual arcades around here when I was growing up so the only experience I got was beating up bots on the SNES. Haven't really checked 2D fighting since then (well I owned VF on Saturn, but had no body to play with and the bots were fkin tough -- the more simplified Fighting Vipers was more my style). I'm hoping this EX2 and some practice will be all I need to re-cement the necessary skills.
    Lilja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Lilja
    @MementoMori said:
    " I still don't understand the third ryu trials about cancelling. I got through a few of them because of luck but can't pull it off often. Also, how fast do you have to do the quarter circles for metsu and shinku? hadokens? "
    It is Ryu's normal trail 3 you're talking about? If so, you're just supposed to do a second move instantly after the first to cancel into it. 
    FADCs doesn't come into play until the hard trials. :)
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @Jolly_Lolly said:

I'm still not sure though, I really want the TE to be honest, haha, but that beast is pretty expensive.   Anyway, I hope you enjoy your stick, and I will (hopefully) fight you some time next week ;) "

Agreed, but after coming across that Tankstick, another $50 for a trackball and second player input seems pretty reasonable -- if one were going to drop $150 on a single arcade stick anyway.  Sounds fun, but don't rape me too hard. We had zero actual arcades around here when I was growing up so the only experience I got was beating up bots on the SNES. Haven't really checked 2D fighting since then (well I owned VF on Saturn, but had no body to play with and the bots were fkin tough -- the more simplified Fighting Vipers was more my style). I'm hoping this EX2 and some practice will be all I need to re-cement the necessary skills. "
    Haha, no worries. I haven't played since late July, so I'm pretty rusty as well.
    Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Codeacious

Sorry, somewhat forgot about this thread. I bought a 360 controller before I bought this game (so I could use it for this and Burnout). If anyone plays on the PC and is willing to give me some tips, my XBL tag is forexviii.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    @isnipeyoudie said:

" Sorry, somewhat forgot about this thread. I bought a 360 controller before I bought this game (so I could use it for this and Burnout). If anyone plays on the PC and is willing to give me some tips, my XBL tag is forexviii. "

Hey I'm looking for someone to play with that doesn't have a 1 bar connection, you in ?
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By lordofultima

I get awful matches online with the PC version, though that's probably due to my shitty wireless adapter I have on this computer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.