Anyone else buy a fight stick and suck worse?

#1 Posted by Kratos81 (411 posts) -

I think am pretty good at sf4, not a pro but I win 70% of the matches. I decided to buy a fight stick today thinking it could take me to the next level. I practiced in practice mode for atleast a hr. For some reason I cant play better with it then I can with the regular controller. What a fucking waste, I didnt plan on getting a fight stick if I did I would have bought the 360 ver. These arcade sticks are hard to find around here, Im thinking of selling it for a profit.

#2 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Ha ha sorry but thats pretty funny considering the cost of them. I havent bought one yet but I do want to get one at some point down the track. If you can sell the thing for a profit you probably should take advantage of that if you arent liking it.

#3 Posted by 10MP (311 posts) -

if you had never used a pad before in your entire life would you be good with it in 1 hour?

#4 Posted by Kratos81 (411 posts) -
10MP said:
"if you had never used a pad before in your entire life would you be good with it in 1 hour?

"
I have played at the arcade, its not like I never played with a stick. 
#5 Edited by Randolph (374 posts) -

If you dropped Halo 2 for the PC in front of me on a gaming rig, I'd suck a whole lot more than usual on the KB&M, as I'm not accustomed to it.  That doesn't mean something is wrong with the KB&M controls, they're just not what I'm used to.  I suppose if I was serious enough about this game to spend money I could be spending on more games on a fightstick, I'd get used to it, and maybe be better at the game.  But I don't.  Hell, I main Dan. (in ranked)

#6 Posted by gla55jAw (2693 posts) -

I think the bigger question is what store did you walk into and find a fighting stick!? which one is it. anyways I never played with a stick before. I bought the 15th anniversary SF stick and I have fun with it, It takes time to get used to like anything else, im still better with a pad for now tho.

#7 Posted by Kratos81 (411 posts) -
gla55jAw said:
"I think the bigger question is what store did you walk into and find a fighting stick!? which one is it. anyways I never played with a stick before. I bought the 15th anniversary SF stick and I have fun with it, It takes time to get used to like anything else, im still better with a pad for now tho."
Frys electronics, I called around to find one. Its the capcom official arcade stick. I am getting a little better but I have been playing for the last 5 hrs and getting my ass handed to me by people I would whoop with the ds3. Pisses me off, but I bought the stick and am trying to learn it. Sucks that its fucking up my online %.
#8 Posted by UPTWONGFX (25 posts) -

BWAHAHA U SUCK.. I ACTUALLY GOT BETTER ... HORI REAL ARCADE EX 2 WOOHOO!

#9 Posted by EvilDingo (589 posts) -

Perhaps you fair better if you cross you arms while playing :-) Shameless plug

But to be honest though, for me it's very much a question if the game is a 6 button-fighting game or a 4 button one.
Personally I don't like the arcade stick for a game like MK vs DC, simply because it pretty convenient to have the block button on a shoulder button, as opposed to having it on a face button.

I don't like shoulder buttons for games like SF, since it's kind of hard for me to intuitively use the for Strong punch/kick. For those I prefer an arcade stick.
I would probably fair well enough with a 6-face-button face pad to though, but I don't plan on investing in one of those quite yet.
#10 Posted by Scullinator (514 posts) -

Im using a Hori too.  Best Stick IMO.  Since the first release of Street Fighter 2 on the arcade I have not played with anything but a stick.  My friends that come over and play with the contoller seam to like it.  The Ultimate and Supers are easy to pull off with the buttons mapped to the left bumper and trigger.

#11 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
Kratos81 said:
"10MP said:
"if you had never used a pad before in your entire life would you be good with it in 1 hour?

"
I have played at the arcade, its not like I never played with a stick. 
"
The real question would be which controller have you had more time with overall? Seeing as how the arcades you have to pay to play and the consoles is unlimited pay after purchase I'm going to go on a limb here and say you've had more experience using a controller for fighting games than a stick. I'd say stick with it since overall the potential for a stick is more than a controller but it seems there is mad money to made now so even I would think about selling my stick if I didn't love it so much.
#12 Posted by decko5 (159 posts) -

i wasn't nearly as good as i was with a pad, i was able to do some moves i couldn't before but overall i was worse

#13 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1254 posts) -

I stick with what I know, which is a standard controller. I've tried a fight pad for a bit and just didn't like the response of the buttons and analog d-pad. I would do even worse with a fight stick.

#14 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh! Caught in a threadromance

I'm better with a keyboard than I am with both joystick and controller. The latter two are about tied.

#15 Posted by Undeadpool (4989 posts) -

Just because you've played in arcades (unless your time there has hit triple-digit hours), doesn't mean that prepared you to use a stick. You've basically reset yourself back to 0 and need to learn the ins-and-outs of the stick just like when you were learning the ins-and-outs on a controller.

#16 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

OH god, Zombies. Zombies, Zombies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.