Ask me anything about SF4!

#1 Posted by haunts (81 posts) -

Yo yo! Whats up GiantBomb SF4 heads? I am pretty new around here and figured this may be a good way to get to know you guys. I've been going to tournaments for almost 10 years now and have traveled to Japan to play Daigo, Nuki, Momochi, Bonchan...well..you get the idea! I'm not the best AROUND but I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to compete at a high level. 

Anyway, if you guys have any questions regarding SF4 or fighting game strategy in general, hit me up in this thread and I'll try to help! 

-haunts

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (19052 posts) -
@haunts: Don't listen to demontium.  :P                         There are probably some people on here who would love your help.
#3 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @haunts: Is it possible for you not to make a useless SFIV topic?  I mean since you can just ask a question to EVERYONE by making your own topic. "
Kinda a dickish thing to say
#4 Edited by mubress (1517 posts) -
@demontium: Woah, easy there tiger. Give the guy a chance.

I have a question for you. Do you have any tips for playing Cammy players. I have trouble getting away from them when they are close, and find it hard to read whether the cannon strike is going to hit me or not, so I get combo'd or thrown. Very annoying. Any tips?
#5 Posted by haunts (81 posts) -

mubress, do you play rufus? A lot of it depends on the character you use and the tools you have at your disposal. 

#6 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -
@haunts: A lot of the time yes. ex messiah kick works well to get away, but if I don't have the meter.....

I also have real trouble as Abel, as you can see in the video I posted here. How embarassing :(
#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @haunts: Is it possible for you not to make a useless SFIV topic?  I mean since you can just ask a question to EVERYONE by making your own topic. "
What the hell?  This guy is probably the most experienced Street Fighter player on these forums (aside from maybe Jared).  This thread is hella useful for people who want some answers to improve their game, so back off.
#8 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@demontium: If there was a hat that you could put on your ass, you'd be one.
#9 Edited by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

Do you button mash when you play SF4? Or do you think about what moves you will preform beforehand.

EDIT: Maybe some usefull tips for people like me who kind of suck at it! : )

#10 Posted by haunts (81 posts) -

@mubress  

Generally in all match ups if I am getting rushed down I try to think about what they used to get in and how I got myself in that mess in the first place. Try to really think about the tools you have to keep them at bay (with Rufus c.FP is a good ground option, and c.mp is a good anit air, and Jump forward FK is a good air to air etc). If they are applying a lot of pressure, as simple as it sounds blocking low is probably one of your best options if you do not have meter. You have to weigh your options here: Woudl you rather eat a throw or a fat combo instead? Typically with most players who are very aggressive they will run out of "juice" if you block long enough and make a mistake. This is something you have to be aware of -- dont feel like you have to attack all the time.  

Also try to think about the tools they have to get in. With Cammy she pretty much has to walk forward or use the cannon drill. The Cannon Drill is pretty unsafe when you block it most of the time so a good cammy probably wont use it all that often to get in, and if they do it will be at a proper range. They also have the EX Hooligan Throw (I think that the name, lol) but you can beat that just by blocking low. 

Also keep in mind that backdash has 8 frames of invincibility (I think) so backdashing will get you out of a lot of situations when they are up close. For instance,  when I'm playing against Abel I use back dash a lot because it shuts down a lot of his offensive options. There are mix ups and ways to beat this strategy but keep it in mind anyway.

Also keep an eye on their meter. If Cammy is up close and doesnt have two stocks to FADC, they probably wont go for a cannon spike, but instead will go for a low attack (like c.short, c.jab, c.short, hoping for a combo, if its blocked, walk up and throw), and maybe just walk up and throw.  So keep in mind how much meter they have will dictate what they will go for in close range situations.

Also, if you are getting thrown a lot you have a couple options (this is something I learned from Crackfiend, a good boxer player around here): 

Crouch Teching and Standing Tech. 

Crouch teching you only have 7 frames to tech a throw, but when you hold down back and press throw, if they do not attack/throw you will get a low light attack which can stop them from advancing. 

A standing tech (standing and pressing throw) gives you more time to tech throw (10 frames), but if they bait the throw, you will wiff and can potentially eat a lot of damage. 

I will say without a fireball it's probably a little harder to keep her at bay and truthfully It's pretty rare I see this match up to begin with, but hopefully these general tips will help you out a bit. 

Oh, and one more thing, if I have issues against a certian character, I will usually spend a week or so playing them myself, getting a sense of what they can do and what situations are unsafe.  

Anyway, keep running away and build that meter! Good luck!!

#11 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

So I'm a total newb at SF, you have any general tips for playing Abel and/or Gouken, I'm trying those guys out 
Cheers 
(And btw, this thread is pretty useful, I dunno what demontium is talking about)

#12 Edited by YetiAntics (1492 posts) -

Holy crap! haunts! 
Never thought id see you here! Welcome welcome!

and well, as a matter of fact, i do have a question.

I've had some "discussions" with a cousin of mine and he claims that Cammy's trial 5 combo ( CS > FADC > CS > FADC > Ultra) is useful due to the 630 damage scale it does (that is, if everything is to the fullest, mind you) and uses this combo everytime!

Now i find it the opposite and its not useful at all. Id rather save my EX's and ultras for just CS + FADC + CSs and even Hooligan mix ups. ... What do you think?

#13 Posted by haunts (81 posts) -
@CornontheCobbe said:
" Do you button mash when you play SF4? Or do you think about what moves you will preform beforehand.  EDIT: Maybe some usefull tips for people like me who kind of suck at it! : ) "
I dont button mash anything really.. The only time I mash is when I am trying to tech a throw. I feel like you almost HAVE to mash throw to tech in this game. It's a little harder than other games I've played like SF3 Third Strike. 

Ummm besides that I cant think of any other times I really mash. LOL. :)
#14 Edited by Stang (4726 posts) -

Why is Ken so awesome? And at the same time, why do all the shitty ass scrubs use him?

edit

Just throwing it out there......Haunts + GB = Win.

#15 Edited by haunts (81 posts) -
@addictedtopinescent said:

" So I'm a total newb at SF, you have any general tips for playing Abel and/or Gouken, I'm trying those guys out Cheers (And btw, this thread is pretty useful, I dunno what demontium is talking about) "

Abel is actually a fiarly difficuly character to use in my opinion. He has to get in to do any real damage to most character and relies HEAVILY on mix ups (baiting the opponent and confusing them with various offensive options) to do any damage. This play style dies to backdashing and uppercuts.  

He is a good character and we have some pretty good Abel players here on the west coast so I have seen him used this full potnetial. Fact is you need very good executon to use him at this level. Even some of his "basic" combos (c.mp into change of direction) require timing that I think most new players will find a little a frustrating. 

He does have a roll which allows him to close space between him and his opponent but he can be thrown out of it if you roll too close to be careful. 

EX Tornado Throw is a good move to use when you are being pressured. For instance if you are blocking and the opponent likes to do like c.lp, c.lp block stings, EX Tornado Throw will catch them between each move and put them on the ground. 

Jumping MK is his cross up so once they are down you can jump over them with MK and then do like c.short into Tornado Throw, things like that. You just have to be a real tricky fellow when playing as him. 

As for Gouken, he takes some time to learn as well. He can keep opponent out using his various angled fireballs but once the opponent is in it's hard to keep them off of you.  Also he doesnt have as many bread and butter combos like say Ryu has so getting a combo off of a quick light attack isnt much of an option for him.  

If you are new to SF4 I suggest playing Balrog or Ryu. 
#16 Posted by Kumo (125 posts) -
@haunts said:
"Yo yo! Whats up GiantBomb SF4 heads? I am pretty new around here and figured this may be a good way to get to know you guys. I've been going to tournaments for almost 10 years now and have traveled to Japan to play Daigo, Nuki, Momochi, Bonchan...well..you get the idea! I'm not the best AROUND but I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to compete at a high level.  Anyway, if you guys have any questions regarding SF4 or fighting game strategy in general, hit me up in this thread and I'll try to help!  -haunts "

Surprised to see you here, haunts. Glad to have you on the boards.
#17 Posted by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -

Oh man is that THE Haunts? or someone using the name?

#18 Posted by haunts (81 posts) -
@PantyshotMQN said:
"

Holy crap! haunts! 
Never thought id see you here! Welcome welcome!

and well, as a matter of fact, i do have a question.

I've had some "discussions" with a cousin of mine and he claims that Cammy's trial 5 combo ( CS > FADC > CS > FADC > Ultra) is useful due to the 630 damage scale it does (that is, if everything is to the fullest, mind you) and uses this combo everytime!

Now i find it the opposite and its not useful at all. Id rather save my EX's and ultras for just CS + FADC + CSs and even Hooligan mix ups. ... What do you think?

"
This is one of the things where I dont think there is any "right" answer but instead depends on what is going on in the match. If they have a massive life lead, I would opt to use your strategy and hold onto your EX Meter and see if you can lang a couple combos and/or ex hooligans to put things back in your favor.. On the other hand, if that combo you listed will seal the deal and win the match for you becuase they are low on life, you might want to go for it. 

Sometimes its good to save meter, sometimes you just have to blow it all to clutch out a win. 
#19 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" Oh man is that THE Haunts? or someone using the name? "
You are always so pessimistic! Yeah he is the real deal.
#20 Posted by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" Oh man is that THE Haunts? or someone using the name? "
You are always so pessimistic! Yeah he is the real deal. "
OGMOGMGMOGMOGMOGMOMGOGMOGMOMGOGMOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

I WILL POST SOMTHING WORTHWHILE IN A FEW MINS AFTER I STOP SCREAMING LIKE A LITTLE GIRL
#21 Edited by YetiAntics (1492 posts) -
@Jeffsekai:
lol. i reacted almost the same way... only without the screaming... 

[EDIT]  
@haunts 
BTW, thanks for answering my question, haunts!
#22 Edited by ryoma122 (699 posts) -

ok why is it that in street fighter 4 that with a little spaming you are pretty much unstopable with zangief 

#23 Posted by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -
@PantyshotMQN said:
" @Jeffsekai: lol. i reacted almost the same way... only without the screaming...   [EDIT]  @haunts BTW, thanks for answering my question, haunts! "
Dont hate cuz I got hype
#24 Posted by pepsipat1 (227 posts) -

I have recently obtained a street fighter tournament stick.  Im finding it a bit difficult to use due to my months using a xbox controller and my past year of not going to a arcade. I can no longer perform ultra combos. There any tips you can give me that would help me get use to the stick.
#25 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -
@demontium said:
Whats up with the elitist attitude lately?
#26 Edited by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -

Okay srs question. I went to my first real life tournament yesterday and had to fight a guy (I was Balrog and he was Ryu) who every chance he would would mash option select. This pretty much made it impossible for me to get my throw mix up going. So I am wondering what I should do next time, like what can I do to punish him from just mashing option select? Thanks man.

#27 Edited by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Symphony: Duh. With haunts here, we are one step closer  to being srk. All we need is few more big ego's and we are there.
#28 Posted by YetiAntics (1492 posts) -
@Jeffsekai:
i aint hatin' brah, you the biggest HYPEman in the forums
#29 Posted by Spacetrucking (946 posts) -

Welcome aboard Haunts! It's nice to see the GB community attract SF fanatics such as yourself :)

And I do have a question! What are your thoughts on the new counter ultras in SSFIV ? I never got into any other fighting game before SF4 so I don't know if this is something completely new. You've immense experience with this genre so do you remember any other game implementing such counter-supers or ultras ? If yes, how do you even land such moves on your opponents in a real match ?

I enjoy playing Fei Long (at a fairly casual level) but I'm fairly disappointed with the way his ultra juggles right now and I was looking forward to the 1-inch goodness. However, I have a feeling that the new ultra is going to be even harder to land and much more risky on miss.

#30 Posted by haunts (81 posts) -
@PepsiPat said:
" I have recently obtained a street fighter tournament stick.  Im finding it a bit difficult to use due to my months using a xbox controller and my past year of not going to a arcade. I can no longer perform ultra combos. There any tips you can give me that would help me get use to the stick. "
There are a couple key aspects when making the transition from pad to stick. One is how to hold the stick and properly do motions and two is how to actually hit the buttons. 

I typically hold the stick using my thumb, index and middle finger. The ball of the stick tends to rest sort of in the upper part of my palm if that makes any sense. I leave my ring and pinky finger loose and relaxed. Really you have to find what makes you feel most comfortable and gets you results.

As far as hitting the buttons, what I'm playing at my peak,  I let my hand HOVER over the joystick to increase overall awareness and precision.  I feel if I let my hand rest on the joystick box itself, I will get lazy and make mistakes.  It takes more mental awareness to do it this way but it pays off in the long run becuase you know damn sure what you're hitting and you'll be less prone to "panic mashing".

As far as hitting Ultra combos, make sure you follow through with the motions. For a QCFx2 motion, I will do QCF X2 then HOLD forward and press all three. By using this method you get a very deliberate input and you shouldn't miss as much. Same sort of concept goes for charge ultras as well. 

Hope that helps -- took me 3 months to become competitive on a  stick back in the day.
#31 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @Symphony: Duh. With haunts here, we are one step closer  to being srk. All we need is few more big ego's and we are there. "
But we're already better than SRK. We have Luchadeer.
#32 Edited by haunts (81 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:

" Okay srs question. I went to my first real life tournament yesterday and had to fight a guy (I was Balrog and he was Ryu) who every chance he would would mash option select. This pretty much made it impossible for me to get my throw mix up going. So I am wondering what I should do next time, like what can I do to punish him from just mashing option select? Thanks man. "

Try walking forward a bit like you're going to throw and/or tick into low jab, then walk back and try sweeping him. Also standing roundhouse from that range is godlike with Boxer. On counter hit you can actually link ANOTHER standing roundhouse as far as I know. lol
#33 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -

How do you get to be a good rushdown Balrog?  I've been told I turtle too much, and I've been trying to get much more offensive, but so far that's made me commit a whole lot of stupid mistakes.

Also, why the hell does Balrog get a 720 motioned Ultra command grab in SSF IV?  Do you predict that'll be useful at all for him?

#34 Posted by haunts (81 posts) -
@Killjoy said:
" Welcome aboard Haunts! It's nice to see the GB community attract SF fanatics such as yourself :)   And I do have a question! What are your thoughts on the new counter ultras in SSFIV ? I never got into any other fighting game before SF4 so I don't know if this is something completely new. You've immense experience with this genre so do you remember any other game implementing such counter-supers or ultras ? If yes, how do you even land such moves on your opponents in a real match ? I enjoy playing Fei Long (at a fairly casual level) but I'm fairly disappointed with the way his ultra juggles right now and I was looking forward to the 1-inch goodness. However, I have a feeling that the new ultra is going to be even harder to land and much more risky on miss. "
Counter ultras are useless and lazy on the part of the developers in my opinion. Look at Remy in 3rd Strike - his Blue Nocturne which is a similar type of super NEVER gets used because there are far too many ways to counter it by the opponent. Why would you risk and entire ultra/super on some sort of hail mary option? It's ridiculous. 

SF4 is a game with so many shenanigans you need something solid like FADC into ultra or something equally solid  to get yourself out of hairy situations. I mean this isnt always the best option but its better than hoping they just throw out a move. lol. 

But whats so upsetting about this is Cammy and Fei's normal Ultras are so wack to begin with and instead of giving them something competitive, they give them a gimmick. Sad. 
#35 Edited by lordofultima (6270 posts) -
@demontium said:

You do realize you're talking about Haunts, right? 

Sup haunts, don't beat me too bad when we play eachother. What are your views on standing roundhouse for Akuma being nerfed? You must be pretty excited there will be no more roundhouse loop. Damnit..
#36 Posted by haunts (81 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" How do you get to be a good rushdown Balrog?  I've been told I turtle too much, and I've been trying to get much more offensive, but so far that's made me commit a whole lot of stupid mistakes.  Also, why the hell does Balrog get a 720 motioned Ultra command grab in SSF IV?  Do you predict that'll be useful at all for him? "
Why do you feel the need to rushdown? If its becuase people tell you should, I say fuck them -- play the style that gets you the wins. If that dosent work then just kick the facts and see what you need to work on. 

Generally speaking tho, being a rushdown balrog does NOT involved fullscreen EX rushes and things like that -- that will just get you in trouble. You just have to slowly push them into the corner, pressure with crouching jab and standing roundhouse. Once they cant walk back anymore thats when you should mix up between throw and c.jab. Just work on hit confirming into the head butt or walk up throw and that will help your offense a lot.  

It's also important to consider, when DO you you rush down and when do you turtle? It's not like you have to be one or the other. Typically if you can get an early lead, just back off and let them take damage by having to advance to you. 
#37 Edited by AURON570 (1675 posts) -

woah woah woah! Haunts as in.... the Haunts who works on iplaywinner.com? OMG wiag *woah*. dude keep up the good work man!

@haunts

said:

Also keep in mind that backdash has 8 frames of invincibility (I think) so backdashing will get you out of a lot of situations when they are up close. 

Wow i did not know backdash had frames of invincibility, I should work on that. hmm trying to think of questions... So when teching throws, you have to look for tick throws right? Then you mash?

What exactly are footsies? I think it's something to do with your character's hitbox, spacing, baiting. I always hear during matches, the commentators saying stuff like "X footsies are on point" or "this char has no footsies to speak of", what does that mean?

oh, and what exactly is option select?
#38 Posted by haunts (81 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @demontium said:

You do realize you're talking about Haunts, right?  Sup haunts, don't beat me too bad when we play eachother. What are your views on standing roundhouse for Akuma being nerfed? You must be pretty excited there will be no more roundhouse loop. Damnit.. "
It's a bad idea imo -- Akuma needs it in high level play to be honest. I like that he has it, I mean Sagat has a number of ways to get around it -- standing MK and reversal LK super so I think it makes the match more interesting. 

Sagat cant cancel into Tiger Shot from max range S. LK either. WTF CAPCOM!?! 
#39 Posted by lordofultima (6270 posts) -
@haunts said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @demontium said:

You do realize you're talking about Haunts, right?  Sup haunts, don't beat me too bad when we play eachother. What are your views on standing roundhouse for Akuma being nerfed? You must be pretty excited there will be no more roundhouse loop. Damnit.. "
It's a bad idea imo -- Akuma needs it in high level play to be honest. I like that he has it, I mean Sagat has a number of ways to get around it -- standing MK and reversal LK super so I think it makes the match more interesting.  Sagat cant cancel into Tiger Shot from max range S. LK either. WTF CAPCOM!?!  "
That is weird as hell, hopefully there are still some kinks to be worked out from that beta version...why else would you let the public play it and offer their opinion? Maybe I'm just dreaming though.
#40 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I actually didn't know Haunts until everybody came in their pants over his arrival, haha, no offense. I know a few of the key players in the scene and I pay attention to those who use my main, but I still don't know everybody. Yeah, I have a question for you: where do I go to look at the streaming schedule and fight out what I have to do to get on the SFIV stream? The iPlayWinner site is a bit confusing.

#41 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

You high tier playing people are too damn greedy. Even with the nerfed roundhouse Akuma is still the king of mix up.

#42 Posted by haunts (81 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" I actually didn't know Haunts until everybody came in their pants over his arrival, haha, no offense. I know a few of the key players in the scene and I pay attention to those who use my main, but I still don't know everybody. Yeah, I have a question for you: where do I go to look at the streaming schedule and fight out what I have to do to get on the SFIV stream? The iPlayWinner site is a bit confusing. "
I actually have to run now to stream actually, but the haunts vs the world thing is new thats why you dont see any posts on it. I'll let you guys know when it's live next week. 

Keep the questions coming, I'll answer the rest tomorrow. 

Peace!
#43 Posted by lordofultima (6270 posts) -
@haunts said:
" @Napalm said:
" I actually didn't know Haunts until everybody came in their pants over his arrival, haha, no offense. I know a few of the key players in the scene and I pay attention to those who use my main, but I still don't know everybody. Yeah, I have a question for you: where do I go to look at the streaming schedule and fight out what I have to do to get on the SFIV stream? The iPlayWinner site is a bit confusing. "
I actually have to run now to stream actually, but the haunts vs the world thing is new thats why you dont see any posts on it. I'll let you guys know when it's live next week.  Keep the questions coming, I'll answer the rest tomorrow.  Peace! "
Yeah if I know in advance I can log on and send an invite, it's just impossible for me to run my PC and Xbox simultaneously.
#44 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

I would love to play haunts also. He will beat me for free, but it will be awesome.

#45 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

Is it the best Street Fighter?

#46 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -
@haunts: Hey man, I want to thank you because when I first started playing this game the guide on MyCheats really helped me out in learning the basics for each character. I think you should continue all the good work you're doing on iplaywinner and stuff.  

My question for you is: 

Do you have any tips for doing Balrog's dash ultra? It seems to be all the rage with Rog players I watch recently. And I can tell it's really useful because it basically gives Balrog something like Abel's soulless as a full screen fireball punish. But my execution sucks real hard and although I haven't practiced this much, I almost never get it, even in training mode. Do you have any tips for this other than just practice?
#47 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -
@haunts: What do you know about Dhalsim? I'm really new to the game, and I've enjoyed the heck out of Dhalsim. I've been told there's a rather large learning curve, especially when I'm going at him as a first character.  

I guess I'd just like to know any tips. As of now I've really just been suffering through loss after loss to try and get a grasp on what I need to do to win some.
#48 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Is that what I think that is?
#49 Posted by lordofultima (6270 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @demontium said:

Yes i realize who that is. The thing is this forum is kinda useless. Can't we just ask questions by making threads.  And I have seen all of haunts vids, i know how good he is. "
So instead of one thread where we ask 100 questions, you'd rather have 100 threads each asking one question? Not gonna happen. The thread is also more, hey ask tournament player Haunts some questions and he will do his best to answer, I'm not going to make a new thread and ask only Haunts to reply to my question.
#50 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@Hockeymask27:  
Thank you, now I can't unsee it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.