Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Ask me anything about SF4!

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By AniMoney
    @lordofultima: I think we should have a ask demontium thread. Y'know, because he's soooo good. 

@Emilio said:
    " @Hockeymask27:  Thank you, now I can't unsee it. "
    Why would you want to?
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Stang

I think I will make an ask me thread. I will detail how to never kara focus correctly, how to miss your links 75% of the time, and most importantly, how to rage properly. Look for it soon.

Kumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Kumo
    @Stang:
    What about flowchart tips? Please?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Scooper

Do you know any neat tricks for a semi-competant new Rose player? I understand the importance of c.MP and c.HP and she has a great ambigious crossup but that's about it. What's the deal with Rose!?

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Stang
    @Kumo: You just don't know.

Rather, you just don't want to know :p
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @AniMoney said:
    " @haunts: Hey man, I want to thank you because when I first started playing this game the guide on MyCheats really helped me out in learning the basics for each character. I think you should continue all the good work you're doing on iplaywinner and stuff.   My question for you is:  Do you have any tips for doing Balrog's dash ultra? It seems to be all the rage with Rog players I watch recently. And I can tell it's really useful because it basically gives Balrog something like Abel's soulless as a full screen fireball punish. But my execution sucks real hard and although I haven't practiced this much, I almost never get it, even in training mode. Do you have any tips for this other than just practice? "
    The timing for the Dash --> Ultra isnt very hard, just do a dash n then  complete the motion. It feels super weird and the ultra feels like it comes out late. but yeaa
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Stang said:
    " @Symphony: Duh. With haunts here, we are one step closer  to being srk. All we need is few more big ego's and we are there. "
    OH you mean like: 

@demontium said:
    " @haunts: Is it possible for you not to make a useless SFIV topic?  I mean since you can just ask a question to EVERYONE by making your own topic. "
    I'm pretty sure you learned your lesson by now, but if this is indeed the real Haunts, you have not been following the SF4 community enough. Haunts is legit and deserves our respect.  

That being said: 

@haunts: my only question is about lag and teching throws? sometimes when I'm in a block string (doing the blocking), the other guy will just do a tick throw. Oh cool, goes in my mind, until it repeats over and over to the point that I'm literally shouting at the screen he will throw me now while I try to mash LP + LK. this is because my timing is off or some lag effect where my tech just doesn't come in time. Also happens in other situations like LP blanka ball whiff to throw as well. Just wondering if this is legit play (and I can't tech a throw even if I see the set up coming cause my timing is off) or just people abusing lag tactics. 
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Stang
    @StaticFalconar: Do what I do. Hold down back and tap jab + short in line with each attack. If he continues his string, you will continue to block. If he throws, you will tech. If he tries an overhead, you will do a crouching short. Option selects are your friend.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Scooper
    @Stang said:
    " @StaticFalconar: Do what I do. Hold down back and tap jab + short in line with each attack. If he continues his string, you will continue to block. If he throws, you will tech. If he tries an overhead, you will do a crouching short. Option selects are your friend. "
    Cheers, I'll use that.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Stang: I normally don't try to do option selects just cause i feel like Im reverting back to being a button masher scrub of press some buttons and hopefully it will all work out, but if that's the only way to beat these tick throws, I'll take it. 
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Stang
    @StaticFalconar: How does what I mentioned make somebody a scrub? Your only other option is to learn your opponents patterns, this is not exactly easy to do when going against some random for 3 rounds. It is not like you are mashing dp/ultra while they are jabbing, you are simply doing something that has the potential to save some of your life bar against multiple types of attacks. At some point you have to get over the "mashing scrub' stigma. I have.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Stang: I'm not saying option selects are tantamount to being a mashing scrub. Its just the situation of my back is against the wall and I'm throwing out cr. back lp+lk fishing for a reversal like someone mashing DP while being under a link combo. But this is the world of SF where if its in the game it ain't cheap and even DP mashers can be punished if figured out so it's not like I'm going to be using this option select on reaction to being in a block string unless I am predicting they will tick throw me. 
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By ImperiousRix

Couple of questions.  Played a lot of SFIV and am planning on getting back into it with SSFIV coming out soon.  
    I play Vega (Claw).  A lot of my game revolves around mind-games, wall/throw shenanigans, and pokes to win.  However, against really good turtling Balrogs and Blankas (among a few others), I feel like I don't have many options.  Any tips you can give me to maybe change up my game and be able to push the offense against guys who like to turtle and counter? 
    Also, I play with a Fightpad.  I've always felt more comfortable playing with my thumbs over anything else.  However, more and more I'm feeling perhaps a bit limited with this setup.  I understand switching to a stick will likely have me go through a fairly long recovery period as I learn how not to suck with it, but feel like it could be the best route to go overall.  Any thoughts on this matter? 
    Any help will be much appreciated.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Stang
    @StaticFalconar: I guess we don't see it the same way, which is fine. When I am tapping down back lp+lk I am not fishing for anything, I am simply expanding my defense. It is an effective strategy. I don't do it all the time, typically I do it round 1 against a random  or against somebody with a really strong mix up game.

If it does not fit your style, that is perfectly fine. Personally, I don't give a fuck if somebody thinks I am a masher for doing it. I refuse to mash dp/ultra through block strings though. I will hit somebody with a dp if it is obvious they are missing links or trying one too many jabs, but I won't fish for it.
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @haunts:
    Continuing the conversation we had before....so you were eatting Lay's Salt and Vingar chip during your stream the day before yesterday. Are they a personal favorite and what other brands of Salt and Vingar chips do you like? 

On the topic of SF4.  

Your opinion on Gen? Ive been maining him for a while now and Im starting to notice that he has some faults that are getting more and more frustrating the more I play him resently. I like hard to play characters but dont have the level of execution to play Viper and such. So im kind of in a trouble spot right now. Im thinking of switching to Cody if he is good seeing as the developers say he is an advanced character.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By lordofultima
    @StaticFalconar said:

" @Stang: I'm not saying option selects are tantamount to being a mashing scrub. Its just the situation of my back is against the wall and I'm throwing out cr. back lp+lk fishing for a reversal like someone mashing DP while being under a link combo. But this is the world of SF where if its in the game it ain't cheap and even DP mashers can be punished if figured out so it's not like I'm going to be using this option select on reaction to being in a block string unless I am predicting they will tick throw me.  "

I don't agree, 3rd strike people fished for guess parry, this is similar. Many top players use all sorts of option selects, even Daigo.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @lordofultima said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:

" @Stang: I'm not saying option selects are tantamount to being a mashing scrub. Its just the situation of my back is against the wall and I'm throwing out cr. back lp+lk fishing for a reversal like someone mashing DP while being under a link combo. But this is the world of SF where if its in the game it ain't cheap and even DP mashers can be punished if figured out so it's not like I'm going to be using this option select on reaction to being in a block string unless I am predicting they will tick throw me.  "

I don't agree, 3rd strike people fished for guess parry, this is similar. Many top players use all sorts of option selects, even Daigo. "
    Again, not saying option selects is scrub play, just that particular option select for tick throws "FEELS" like one. If you listen to Gootecks earlier podcast back when he still played 3s you would know that the only type of player he would hate to play the game with are people that don't even block and would rather try to fish for every hit often making big comebacks as a result. Just like option selects, Its more something we have to live with, but not necessarily like. If not embracing every option select is what separates me from the pros, then so be it. Maybe I'll change my mind sometime down the road but right now this is just how I feel about that particular option select.
    dan168

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By dan168
    @haunts: hey whats up. i'm having REAL trouble in a matchup with Seth... i'm a ryu user and i cant seem to get in at all. any tips or things i can do that are more successful? usually i don't have much trouble but this guys shutting me out with jump fierce, standing fierce and sonic boom. the main problems i'm having is getting in usually against alot of sims or other seths  i just jump and random shoryuken but it hasn't worked for me at all against this 1 guys seth. and thats basically my only strategy the knock down really starts everything for me.
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Thrawn1

when playing as sagat is there anything that honda does that you find frustrating?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70  Edited By Linkyshinks

Welcome to the forums Haunts.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By lordofultima
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:

I don't agree, 3rd strike people fished for guess parry, this is similar. Many top players use all sorts of option selects, even Daigo. "
    Again, not saying option selects is scrub play, just that particular option select for tick throws "FEELS" like one. If you listen to Gootecks earlier podcast back when he still played 3s you would know that the only type of player he would hate to play the game with are people that don't even block and would rather try to fish for every hit often making big comebacks as a result. Just like option selects, Its more something we have to live with, but not necessarily like. If not embracing every option select is what separates me from the pros, then so be it. Maybe I'll change my mind sometime down the road but right now this is just how I feel about that particular option select. "
    Everybody fished for parry, I'm sure even he did. I'm pretty sure Combofiend was the person talking about how the landscape of 3rd Strike changed anyway, not gootecks.
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#72  Edited By AndrewJD
    @haunts: Cheers for the advice. I'll try to apply it the next time I face a cammy.
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By haunts
    @AURON570 said:
    " woah woah woah! Haunts as in.... the Haunts who works on iplaywinner.com? OMG wiag *woah*. dude keep up the good work man!

@haunts

said:

Also keep in mind that backdash has 8 frames of invincibility (I think) so backdashing will get you out of a lot of situations when they are up close. 

Wow i did not know backdash had frames of invincibility, I should work on that. hmm trying to think of questions... So when teching throws, you have to look for tick throws right? Then you mash? What exactly are footsies? I think it's something to do with your character's hitbox, spacing, baiting. I always hear during matches, the commentators saying stuff like "X footsies are on point" or "this char has no footsies to speak of", what does that mean?  oh, and what exactly is option select? "
    Looking for tick throws is crucial yes, but if you're in that positon where they tick you on wake up, they are typically putting you in a  50/50 situation where they can follow up with another attack or throw you. You just have to pay attention to what they like to do after the tick. 

Footies is basically the act of trying to out poke your opponents pokes from mid to close range. Certain characters are better at playing footsies than others. For instance Ryu has a decent walking speed  so he has an easier time poking with c.mk then other characters do. Same with Chun Li -- she has a lot of high priority normal moves that allow her to beat out the other characters pokes. 

Some characters such as Sagat who has a very slow walking speed has a harder time playing footsies. His only tool is really S. LK, and thats typically to keep the other player at bay, and not really engage in close range poke wars, 

Option select is basically performing one input that can have multiple outcomes.. Many characters have specific option selects but the easiest one to demonstrate with is crouching lp + lk since it works for all characters. What happens here is if you couch and press lp +lk, you will either tech a throw if they try to throw you or simply throw out a light attack if they do not.
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By haunts
    @Emilio said:

" Is it the best Street Fighter? "

No, not yet anyway. 

@AniMoney

said: 

@haunts: Hey man, I want to thank you because when I first started playing this game the guide on MyCheats really helped me out in learning the basics for each character. I think you should continue all the good work you're doing on iplaywinner and stuff.   My question for you is:  Do you have any tips for doing Balrog's dash ultra? It seems to be all the rage with Rog players I watch recently. And I can tell it's really useful because it basically gives Balrog something like Abel's soulless as a full screen fireball punish. But my execution sucks real hard and although I haven't practiced this much, I almost never get it, even in training mode. Do you have any tips for this other than just practice? 

I dont have any tips here really, just have to keep grinding if you know how to do it. Turn on the input display to make sure you're inputting everything correctly. 

@Scooper

said: 

" Do you know any neat tricks for a semi-competant new Rose player? I understand the importance of c.MP and c.HP and she has a great ambigious crossup but that's about it. What's the deal with Rose!? "

Sorry, I don't have any tips or tricks really. Rose is an extremely weak character overall -- not someone you want to main if you plan on being competitive. 

@StaticFalconar said: 

@haunts: my only question is about lag and teching throws? sometimes when I'm in a block string (doing the blocking), the other guy will just do a tick throw. Oh cool, goes in my mind, until it repeats over and over to the point that I'm literally shouting at the screen he will throw me now while I try to mash LP + LK. this is because my timing is off or some lag effect where my tech just doesn't come in time. Also happens in other situations like LP blanka ball whiff to throw as well. Just wondering if this is legit play (and I can't tech a throw even if I see the set up coming cause my timing is off) or just people abusing lag tactics.  "

It depends I guess but I have a real hard time teching throws online personally.  Actually I have a hard time teching throws in this game in general -- in other games such as Third Strike you could at least kind of see the animation come out and react to it, but in SF4 it seems to be more of a straight up guess, especially  online. In this game you just have to have a good sense of when the other player wants to throw. 

@DanielJW

said: 

@haunts: What do you know about Dhalsim? I'm really new to the game, and I've enjoyed the heck out of Dhalsim. I've been told there's a rather large learning curve, especially when I'm going at him as a first character.   I guess I'd just like to know any tips. As of now I've really just been suffering through loss after loss to try and get a grasp on what I need to do to win some. "

Dhlasim is really hard to use due to the fact that you have to really know each match up very well and also be able pull off insta-air teleports 100% of the time. Generally you want to keep the opponent away from you at all times and stay out of the corner since he takes so much  damage. Learning how to slowly push them into the corner with Yoga Fire and S. FP to limit their options is pretty crucial over all. HIs B+HK is a great anit-air if they try to jump in at you, but again you have to have a real strong understanding of all his normal and command normals to really control space. 

@ImperiousRix

said: 
    "

Couple of questions.  Played a lot of SFIV and am planning on getting back into it with SSFIV coming out soon.  
    I play Vega (Claw).  A lot of my game revolves around mind-games, wall/throw shenanigans, and pokes to win.  However, against really good turtling Balrogs and Blankas (among a few others), I feel like I don't have many options.  Any tips you can give me to maybe change up my game and be able to push the offense against guys who like to turtle and counter? 
    Also, I play with a Fightpad.  I've always felt more comfortable playing with my thumbs over anything else.  However, more and more I'm feeling perhaps a bit limited with this setup.  I understand switching to a stick will likely have me go through a fairly long recovery period as I learn how not to suck with it, but feel like it could be the best route to go overall.  Any thoughts on this matter? 
    Any help will be much appreciated.

"

I am not a Vega player even in the slightest so it's hard for give me to give character specific match advice but if you have problems vs turtles, my advice is to just turtle harder than them if possible, esp if the match is even or you have a life lead. Sitting on the other side of the sctreen building meter is probably one of the single most annoying things you can do. Again, if you can get in and do a little damage, get out and just turtle harder than them, make them come to you and make mistakes while you control the pace of the match.   

Also in regards to using a stick, i wasnt able to really compete with tournament level players until I buckled down and learned how to play on a stick. 

@SpecialBuddy said: 

@haunts: Continuing the conversation we had before....so you were eatting Lay's Salt and Vingar chip during your stream the day before yesterday. Are they a personal favorite and what other brands of Salt and Vingar chips do you like?   On the topic of SF4.   Your opinion on Gen? Ive been maining him for a while now and Im starting to notice that he has some faults that are getting more and more frustrating the more I play him resently. I like hard to play characters but dont have the level of execution to play Viper and such. So im kind of in a trouble spot right now. Im thinking of switching to Cody if he is good seeing as the developers say he is an advanced character. "

I prefer Kettle Chips to be honest but we only had Lays here for the time being. I liek cheetos but my fingers get ornage so that is a bummer when you're chatting or playing SF. X( 

My thoughts on Gen is that you have to work way too hard to get any solid wins with him. He dies very easily to many of the upper to top tier characters. He just requires so much execution to play well it's not really worth the investment of time imo.  TBH, Viper requires less execution then Gen does and has overall more options to incur stun on her opponents. You'll probably end up landing her Ultra a lot more than you would land Gen's as well. she is still weak but again a better investment of time if you ask me.  

@dan168 said: 

@haunts: hey whats up. i'm having REAL trouble in a matchup with Seth... i'm a ryu user and i cant seem to get in at all. any tips or things i can do that are more successful? usually i don't have much trouble but this guys shutting me out with jump fierce, standing fierce and sonic boom. the main problems i'm having is getting in usually against alot of sims or other seths  i just jump and random shoryuken but it hasn't worked for me at all against this 1 guys seth. and thats basically my only strategy the knock down really starts everything for me. "

Man, a good seth player is really hard to deal with. All I can tell you is to play as patient as possible and always keep in mind he will die if you land two combos on him so dont panic if he does a few mix ups here and there. Also, if he has half an Ultra, just get hit by it -- sounds like dumb advice but he will probably hit you with it anyway if hes playing the lame ass sonic boom game and it's better to have him do the weaker one than the fully juiced one. Random DPs are actually a pretty good idea in this match up (I KARA DP with Sagat in many cases, it's worth the risk to tag a jump FP) , just make sure they arent too random. Try tossing out a standing jab to bait an attack and follow up with a random DP to catch his limb.  

@Thrawn said: 

" when playing as sagat is there anything that honda does that you find frustrating? "

Ummmmm...not really tbh.. I can just run away and throw tiger shots all day so as long as I play solid there isnt much a honda can do to really get in unless they are really really patient. Random Buttslams and EX buttslams are annoying, but not really because they are hard to counter, just because it's a disrespectful play style. 
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By lordofultima
    @haunts: Love the Honda response, so true. When I play Sagat (play as him) I enjoy it up until I get rushed down and mixed up a bunch. I don't really play him seriously but would like some advice on how to squeeze out of those situations other than reversal uppercut. I just end up locking up and blocking a bunch, then getting hit by something and being mixed up until death. His move speed is just so slow, hard to toggle between Akuma and Sagat mode.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Scooper

It's really awesome how much time Haunts is spending writing really usefull advice. Totally didn't expect that. It just shows how awesome this forum is!

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Stang
    @haunts: Alright, I have a legitimate question now. Ken vs a good Gief. I got smashed by a gief recently, it was horrible. It felt like I was playing SF 2, the guy was doing spd's from miles away, for a second a saw Guile on the screen doing his good ole glitched invisible throw. Zoning Gief is easier then a lot of characters even with Ken's sorry ass hado, but once I get knocked down it is panic mode. Panic mode = wake up srk of some sort. That begins the spiral of doom.

Any tips? Thanks.
    mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By mesklinite

I tried to beat the final boss no easy. I also lose. I :(
    yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#79  Edited By yetiantics

When are you usually streaming and on PSN? My cousin and myself would like to get a round with you.
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By haunts
    @lordofultima said:

" @haunts: Love the Honda response, so true. When I play Sagat (play as him) I enjoy it up until I get rushed down and mixed up a bunch. I don't really play him seriously but would like some advice on how to squeeze out of those situations other than reversal uppercut. I just end up locking up and blocking a bunch, then getting hit by something and being mixed up until death. His move speed is just so slow, hard to toggle between Akuma and Sagat mode. "

I have that problem too and truthfully it's not easy, esp against extremely agile characters like Abel and even Ryu. Like I mentioned before, backdash is your friend. In a lot of cases if you backdash their attack will wiff completely or even if it does hit you are airborne so you will just flip out of it and land on your feet with a slight amount of distance between you and the other player.  

A lot of it is character specific too. Like vs. Ryu you just have to sit there and block until you see and opening or mash out a DP if you have two stocks -- maybe backdash if you see an opening. Against Honda if he is doing the buttslams, you can just FA the first hit and get out or block it and uppercut the second hit. Against Fuerte either vertical jump or backdash is a good option.  Balrog, backdash or just block and look for throws. It just depends on what they are trying to do to you once they are in your face.

The main thing to understand here is how you got into that situation to begin with so you dont have to deal with it all that often. Generally if I am getting rushed down like that it's because I made poor use of S.LK into Tiger Shot and/or didn't punish jumps with Uppercut, Kara Uppercut or just standing roundhouse. 

When you breakdown most of the match ups with sagat it typically boils down to you taking a few paces back and throwing out a shit load of Tiger Shots and letting them take damage as they try to advance. Now when you look at their options it's usually to just to FA or slowly walk in or jump over one of the shots and try their luck from there.  

So when they jump over a Tiger Shot from mostly max range and they are out of uppercut range, they will either try to jump again (fuckin stupid) or walk forward. Once they start to walk forward USE LK INTO LOW TIGER SHOT to push them back out. Now they are at a real shitty range becuase you have a ridiculous amount of options. If they try to jump from this range, it's free uppercut, if they just sit there and block, from most ranges it's free KARA Tiger Uppercut , you can also kara uppercut through fireballs and Sonic Booms at this range (only do it with two stocks). If they walk forward, you can just use LK into Low Tiger Shot again or try standing roundhouse against larger characters.  Really, they are almost forced to make a bad decision or just go full screen again and start things over all over again. 

If they happen to close the gap somehow, your best bet is to go for a c.lp into low tiger shot since it is your fasest normal, this will push them out a little bit as well. Sometimes I just mash on c.lp to interrupt their moves and then backdash. 

So yeah, just work on keeping people out instead of working on gimmicks to get around close range pressure. Block low and backdash and always remember you can take a couple hits in the process -- you're Sagat! lol Hope that helps! 

@PantyshotMQN

said: 

" When are you usually streaming and on PSN? My cousin and myself would like to get a round with you. "

Ummm hopefully soon, I cant find my PS3 component cables. X(   

@Stang said: 

@haunts: Alright, I have a legitimate question now. Ken vs a good Gief. I got smashed by a gief recently, it was horrible. It felt like I was playing SF 2, the guy was doing spd's from miles away, for a second a saw Guile on the screen doing his good ole glitched invisible throw. Zoning Gief is easier then a lot of characters even with Ken's sorry ass hado, but once I get knocked down it is panic mode. Panic mode = wake up srk of some sort. That begins the spiral of doom.  Any tips? Thanks. "

Well when he is in your face and you're knocked down that his turf so you almost have to expect to get butt raped from there. The thing I do as a sagat player is either LP uppercut or backdash. While I was in Japan I saw most Japanese players back dash when Gief started his mix up. Like I mentioned in some of the earlier posts. even if he hits you with something, you'll just take the hit and flip out and then you can back dash and get a little breathing room. LP Uppercuts come out quick enough to beat or trade some of his jump ins.You can also veritcal jump but if he dosent SPD then you'll probably eat a lariat. Sometimes I will block the jump in attack, block low for one of the follow up attacks then backdash to get out or vertical jump if I smell an SPD/Ultra.  
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Thrawn1

I don't think random buttslams are disrespectful, especially against sagat it's one if honda's only ways to get in. Assuming the buttslam hits and they block it without focusing/uppercutting it leaves honda right next to the other guy and only at a 2 frame disadvantage for lk, mk, and ex buttslamm.

But yeah random headbutts are pretty stupid unless you're just going for chip. They don't advance honda towards the other player or anything

haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By haunts
    @Thrawn said:

" I don't think random buttslams are disrespectful, especially against sagat it's one if honda's only ways to get in. Assuming the buttslam hits and they block it without focusing/uppercutting it leaves honda right next to the other guy and only at a 2 frame disadvantage for lk, mk, and ex buttslamm.  But yeah random headbutts are pretty stupid unless you're just going for chip. They don't advance honda towards the other player or anything "

It's so easy to counter and you can potentially eat  an insane amount of damage, why would you do it against Sagat? If you're assuming they wont focus or uppercut it you're either a) playing a real shitty Sagat or b) playing online with real shitty connections where it's a lot harder to punish. :P  

If you think its one of his only ways to get in you need to work on your spacing with jump FP (I think thats it, beats out a lot of Sagats moves like S. RH) or FAing and walking forward. If you're using buttslams to advance you're CRUISIN' FOR A BRUSIN'.
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Thrawn1

well the only time I'd do it is when I think they're going to throw a fireball and either still be in recovery or more likely not have enough time after recovery to throw anything out

haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By haunts

Well I'm not saying the move is completely useless or anything, I was more referring to a honda doing buttslam after buttslam on wake up more than anything else in my original post. Really in that match up almost anything Honda does can be punished so I guess it's all pretty risky at the end of the day. :P

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Thrawn1

Alright here's a more interesting question related to the last one: Stuff like buttslam on wakeup, tick ochio, and inputting ex headbutt during blockstrings where you think they will throw are all gimmicks that might waste meter or get you punished...but they usually work against the people I play against. I know that I should play it safely and just stick to hhs combos, but I also know that all those gimmicks will probably work. So should I resist taking the free damage when it's just reinforcing habits that might hurt me against harder players? This is something I've always struggled with when trying to level up my game. It seems like for each 'tier" of skill/experience I go up against there are specific rules to the midgames that you have to follow or you will either take damage or miss free damage. For example, at the very first level of skill there are no mindgames and the only rule is that everyone dps on wakeup no matter what. Even though that's stupid and unsafe you have to adjust your game to it. As you go up these levels the mindgames get more advanced and seem to take on different rulesets. That's very frustrating if you're trying to analyze your game. I'll watch a video of myself and think,,,.."hmm...that was very unsafe but it worked because the other guy didn't know any better...' and there's nothing to be learned from that.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By AURON570

alright i got another simple question. From what I understand, for every attack there is normal damage and stun damage, and once there's enough stun damage the character gets stunned. But I hear sometimes for example, Rufus just had half his life taken out by Viper and the commentator says, "one more combo and he's stunned" then Rufus gets off a BnB and the commentator says, "oh that was close." So my question basically is how does the game calculate stun damage, given this example.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Stang
    @AURON570: Go into training mode and turn on attack data. There is a stun counter on the bottom, that should help a bit.
    mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By mrjared

Hey Haunts I heard you double-perfected Poongko because he's super free. Some say he should start doing children's parties because he's Freezo the Clown. Is this true? :D

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Stang

Freezo the Clown. Oh lawd!

haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By haunts

He's Donezo the Clown when he plays me -- slap a wig on him!

haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By haunts
    @Thrawn said:

" Alright here's a more interesting question related to the last one: Stuff like buttslam on wakeup, tick ochio, and inputting ex headbutt during blockstrings where you think they will throw are all gimmicks that might waste meter or get you punished...but they usually work against the people I play against. I know that I should play it safely and just stick to hhs combos, but I also know that all those gimmicks will probably work. So should I resist taking the free damage when it's just reinforcing habits that might hurt me against harder players? This is something I've always struggled with when trying to level up my game. It seems like for each 'tier" of skill/experience I go up against there are specific rules to the midgames that you have to follow or you will either take damage or miss free damage. For example, at the very first level of skill there are no mindgames and the only rule is that everyone dps on wakeup no matter what. Even though that's stupid and unsafe you have to adjust your game to it. As you go up these levels the mindgames get more advanced and seem to take on different rulesets. That's very frustrating if you're trying to analyze your game. I'll watch a video of myself and think,,,.."hmm...that was very unsafe but it worked because the other guy didn't know any better...' and there's nothing to be learned from that. "

This is an excellent question and really it comes down to the fact that you just have to do whatever it takes to take out the other player. If random goofy buttslams works, then do it if the guy cant get arond it. Why not?  You dont want to hold back, trying to play as if he were a top player when the guy ant even be conditioned to play at level in the first palce if that makes any sense. 

For instance, when I came back from Japan I was used to playing their style which is a really methodical and safe style. I end up playing people in the states who do some of the most ridiculous and risky shit I've ever seen and I just sit there in disbelief and eat a foot to head. Other players have mentioned the same thing, you come back from Japan and play people in the US and it's like playing a different game. The high level shit wont even work because it's not the game they are playing. It's sad and it's frustrating but you just have to go back to whatever tactics work to get the job done.

Even still I am just blown away when people jump at me even after punishing them multiple times -- they just keep doing it and I dont know why. lol.
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Thrawn1

Yeah I usually go ahead and do the gimmicky shit if it works but when I play somebody better I have a hard time changing up my mindgames to adapt to the harder player. Actually changing my playstyle is one of the big things I struggle with. For example, If I play 10 matches against a shoto and then play against rog I still play the matchup as if I was playing the shoto. I know my matchups and everything but I have a hard time transitioning between them. At tournaments I usually lose because the other guy changes characters and it takes me too long to adjust to the new matchup. Is there anything you do to change mindsets when facing a different opponent/character?

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Thrawn1

I don't think you get to decide who gets their own threads...it's up to the mods and the community as a whole and both of those groups are appreciative of this thread. I highly doubt that google or maybe even srk would be able to provide as insightful answers that a high level player such as haunts could provide. Justin Wong even has a blog (soon to be podcast) dedicated to answering questions. This thread already has 1000 views; it's a worthwhile thread. You're about to get a lot of hate for that last post.

haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By haunts

demotium, 

open your eyes, you're the one with the ego. i know I'm new here but either contribute or stop trashing this thread. There is actually a lot of good discussion going on here.  

@Thrawn said: 

" Yeah I usually go ahead and do the gimmicky shit if it works but when I play somebody better I have a hard time changing up my mindgames to adapt to the harder player. Actually changing my playstyle is one of the big things I struggle with. For example, If I play 10 matches against a shoto and then play against rog I still play the matchup as if I was playing the shoto. I know my matchups and everything but I have a hard time transitioning between them. At tournaments I usually lose because the other guy changes characters and it takes me too long to adjust to the new matchup. Is there anything you do to change mindsets when facing a different opponent/character? "

Hey I have had the same problem in the past but one thing I do now is before each match I try to REALLY think about the match up. I try to visualize each and every move they have, normal and special, certain situations you can be in with each character and how to counter it. While Im on the character select screen or doing a button check this is all I am thinking about. This helps me a lot to tell you the truth, to really try to put the images of what may happen in the match into my head. Once the match starts I try my best to clear my mind and just play but spending a little time before hand not only helps keep you calm but also helps you get into the mode of  playing that match up. 

Also, if I lose, what I try to do is sit on the rematch screen before going to the next match and think about what went wrong. Sometimes I know where I screwed up and just go right back into it, but if im not feeling confident I'll sit there and think about it and not get all panicky and jump right into the next match. Sometimes I wont even think about anything, I'll jsut try to regulate my breathing and calm down if I am feeling a little stressed. Usually 2 or three deep breaths will get my head straight and then get back in there and beat that ass.... or maybe just get owned again! LOL
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#95  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Thrawn said:
    " I don't think you get to decide who gets their own threads...it's up to the mods and the community as a whole and both of those groups are appreciative of this thread. I highly doubt that google or maybe even srk would be able to provide as insightful answers that a high level player such as haunts could provide. Justin Wong even has a blog (soon to be podcast) dedicated to answering question. You're about to get a lot of hate for that last post. "
    Exactly. The only one who seems to have a problem with this thread is demontium. I've personally enjoyed reading through this thread even though I don't understand a whole lot of it... :)
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By haunts
    @SpikeSpiegel said:

" @Thrawn said:

" I don't think you get to decide who gets their own threads...it's up to the mods and the community as a whole and both of those groups are appreciative of this thread. I highly doubt that google or maybe even srk would be able to provide as insightful answers that a high level player such as haunts could provide. Justin Wong even has a blog (soon to be podcast) dedicated to answering question. You're about to get a lot of hate for that last post. "
    Exactly. The only one who seems to have a problem with this thread is demontium. I've personally enjoyed reading through this thread even though I don't understand a whole lot of it... :) "
    Hey man, if some of the lingo doesnt make sense just post up and I know some of the ppl  in here like LordofUltima can break it down for ya. 
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Jeffsekai

Hey Haunts can we expect a gaintbomb themed Haunts vs the World stream? :) 

@demontium:  Stop being a dumbass, haunts is just here help he knows more than prolly everyone on here. So having a thread where you KNOW your question will be seen is a great idea. Don't like it? Leave

haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By haunts

Yah, I'll probably set one up on Monday? I would do one today but im sitting around watching LA Riots and other streams feeling a little hung over from last night. lol.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @haunts said:

" Yah, I'll probably set one up on Monday? I would do one today but im sitting around watching LA Riots and other streams feeling a little hung over from last night. lol. "

Awesome!  LA Riots is sweet tonight too.

EDIT holy shit Kai...
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By haunts

lol omg KAI WTF..hahaha...that ultra..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.