Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Ask me anything about SF4!

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By AniMoney

Did they ever release LA Riots I part 2? I have the first half that I downloaded but I can't find the second part..

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @haunts said:
    " Yo yo! Whats up GiantBomb SF4 heads? I am pretty new around here and figured this may be a good way to get to know you guys. I've been going to tournaments for almost 10 years now and have traveled to Japan to play Daigo, Nuki, Momochi, Bonchan...well..you get the idea! I'm not the best AROUND but I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to compete at a high level.  Anyway, if you guys have any questions regarding SF4 or fighting game strategy in general, hit me up in this thread and I'll try to help!  -haunts "
    Why does Guile's ultra suck balls and fail 90 % of the time
    yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By yetiantics

man i so wish our local tournament scene had the ability to go all out like this stream. (LA Riots)
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By Thrawn1

o shit forgot about the stream tonight! at least i'll get to catch the finals

dacrinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By dacrinton

Kind of vague question here, I hope it is clear. I play Abel and Akuma, and I have the hardest time against charge characters, all of them. It seems like most charge players are content to sit on their down-back and poke me out or counter my offense attempts. Do you feel like playing a charge character is that different a mindset, or do I just need to up my offense game? Any tips against chargers?

Thanks for doing this btw, really helpful thread.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#106  Edited By guiseppe

Why can't I seem to find any motivation to play it and get better?

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Thrawn1
    @guiseppe said:
    " Why can't I seem to find any motivation to play it and get better? "
    because you don't play local matches with extremely good players
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By haunts
    @PantyshotMQN said:

" man i so wish our local tournament scene had the ability to go all out like this stream. (LA Riots) "

It's really hard to do that at a tournament with like 40-80 players or how ever many people show up. Hopefully one day it will be like that but there is just so much chaos at a tournament it makes it hard to really to do a show like LA Riots. Gootecks does a great job with it though bringing in new people into the spot light even though personally I like the hype that random tournaments bring. It just requires so much gear to do a production like that -- we're probably a ways off before getting 20 different camera angles and everything else.  

@turbomonkey138

said: 

@haunts said: 

" Yo yo! Whats up GiantBomb SF4 heads? I am pretty new around here and figured this may be a good way to get to know you guys. I've been going to tournaments for almost 10 years now and have traveled to Japan to play Daigo, Nuki, Momochi, Bonchan...well..you get the idea! I'm not the best AROUND but I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to compete at a high level.  Anyway, if you guys have any questions regarding SF4 or fighting game strategy in general, hit me up in this thread and I'll try to help!  -haunts "

Why does Guile's ultra suck balls and fail 90 % of the time "

I dont know but his new one sucks too.   

@dacrinton said: 

" Kind of vague question here, I hope it is clear. I play Abel and Akuma, and I have the hardest time against charge characters, all of them. It seems like most charge players are content to sit on their down-back and poke me out or counter my offense attempts. Do you feel like playing a charge character is that different a mindset, or do I just need to up my offense game? Any tips against chargers?  Thanks for doing this btw, really helpful thread. "

I'm not an Akuma player really so LordofUltima may have a better advice for you but first off id say clear your mind of putting all charge characters together in one box. Each one has different options and ways they can advance and ways to keep you off of them. You have to beak down each match up independently and understand each characters strengths and weakensses. You cant be like "oh well this is a charge character so he is just going to sit there and turtle." You've already lost if you go into the match with that kind of mentality.

One thing you may also want to work on is throwing out moves to get them to do something, but with out  you having to commit to much. For instance you can throw a fireball then just tap standing jab and see if they do anything. A Bison player may flinch expecting another one and throw out EX Scissors which can be punished if you block it. Rog may try to do a TAP as well going through the first fireball and there are ways to punish that too. 

If you feel you're getting out poked you should just  work on your footsies game, although Rog and Bison do have very good normal moves, so it may be a little harder to not get clocked in the face with something if you're new to poking and footsie games.   

@guiseppe said: 

" Why can't I seem to find any motivation to play it and get better? "

Maybe you dont groove with your character or havent found a character you can really dedicate yourself to and still have fun playing the game? Try doing a "random select" night on XBL/PSN sometime with no expectations and just see what happens. 
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#109  Edited By lordofultima
    @demontium: If everyone made a separate thread for all these questions the forum would be spammed. Having a dedicated question thread, especially one where a top player is answering it is pretty helpful. I don't want to ask google a question, or even you demontium. I want to ask Haunts a question. This thread is godlike. 

@dacrinton said:
    " Kind of vague question here, I hope it is clear. I play Abel and Akuma, and I have the hardest time against charge characters, all of them. It seems like most charge players are content to sit on their down-back and poke me out or counter my offense attempts. Do you feel like playing a charge character is that different a mindset, or do I just need to up my offense game? Any tips against chargers?  Thanks for doing this btw, really helpful thread. "
    I don't even look at them as "charge" character really, except when I'm noting when they're holding charge or when they're zoning/walking forward. I just say hey this is a dude, he's playing really conservative/turtley. That's definitely not charge specific, although charging promotes that type of play. 

If you play Akuma, you give down/backers a pretty annoying time yourself, with your 700 fireballs. Just make sure you check the match-up beforehand to know what fireballs are safe and at which times. Obviously if Chun-Li, Honda, Balrog, or even Vega have ultra, they can counter your fireball if they predict it, Blanka and Balrog can punish fireballs with 1 EX bar even. Note the different states of your opponent: are they standing, crouching, walking back or walking forward? Depending on how their moves are executed, you can rule out the possibly of certain things happening just based on that, and it becomes easier to manage against a charge character. The rest is just footsies and capitalizing on opportunities with fat combos.
    Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#110  Edited By Belonpopo
    @haunts:
    Huh? 
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By haunts

Huh? What?

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Thrawn1

At the place I play we are very close to setting up a live stream of the finals of our weekly tournament. We don't have any extremely well known players but there are a few that have had big successes at state level tournaments and one or two have been to evo and done moderately well. Is there any interest level for that kind of a stream? Traveling to California isn't an option for most of us so what needs to be done to put Texas on the map? I'm assuming you might know something about this considering your experience with iplaywinner.

haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By haunts
    @Thrawn said:
    " At the place I play we are very close to setting up a live stream of the finals of our weekly tournament. We don't have any extremely well known players but there are a few that have had big successes at state level tournaments and one or two have been to evo and done moderately well. Is there any interest level for that kind of a stream? Traveling to California isn't an option for most of us so what needs to be done to put Texas on the map? I'm assuming you might know something about this considering your experience with iplaywinner. "
    Well to be honest in terms of the internet, a lot of the stream monsters out there arent even familair with a lot of our top/better players in NorCal. Shit, people think I'm a top player and I get bodied for free by players that most ppl never heard of from around here! hah! 

My suggestion is it comes down to consistency -- you have to stream each week or on a semi regular basis so people get to know the personalities of the plaeyrs and commentators. When having commentators, its good to have one guy who can be kinda nerdy and break down the match and another guy who can be a hype man and say stupid shit the whole time to mix things up..  Dont take yourself TOO seriously tho -- make sure to clown on the players and make fun of them to make it more interesting. It also helps the players play better under pressure when they have some jack ass making fun of their mistakes and stuff. It sounds harsh but it makes the stream more entertianing to watch and helps the players level up their game too. Some people might disagree with me but it's what I like to see out of a stream. When Iw atch a stream and it's just a play by play the whole time like "oh well he has full super now, he just threw a fireball" I fall to sleep real quick. lol

Where in Texas are you? There is an excellent scene in Austin but I dont know how far that is from you.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By lordofultima
    @Thrawn said:

" At the place I play we are very close to setting up a live stream of the finals of our weekly tournament. We don't have any extremely well known players but there are a few that have had big successes at state level tournaments and one or two have been to evo and done moderately well. Is there any interest level for that kind of a stream? Traveling to California isn't an option for most of us so what needs to be done to put Texas on the map? I'm assuming you might know something about this considering your experience with iplaywinner. "

I think Texas has a bunch of beasts already to be honest. Adeel, Hsien Chang, FubarDuck, Buktooth (though he's moving up to cal I think), Jan (gief that bodied Justin Wong and LI Joe when they went to SBO Quals in Texas), and of course SpecialBuddy (just kidding with this one).
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By turbomonkey138

wish i lived somewhere near a tournament scene for street fighter ....no where in Yorkshire D:

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By lordofultima
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " wish i lived somewhere near a tournament scene for street fighter ....no where in Yorkshire D: "
    Yeah with the exception of Japan, people in the entire eastern hemisphere have trouble finding a scene, since everyone is spread so far apart. Maybe you can make your own scene? You never know.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Is Chun Li really a thick thighed wet dream or is she real?

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Thrawn1
    @lordofultima said:

" @Thrawn said:

I think Texas has a bunch of beasts already to be honest. Adeel, Hsien Chang, FubarDuck, Bucktooth (though he's moving up to cal I think), Jan (gief that bodied Justin Wong and LI Joe when they went to SBO Quals in Texas), and of course SpecialBuddy (just kidding with this one). "
    I'm not sure if buktooth is moving or not....that's what people keep saying but I've yet to hear it confirmed. He's a prett y big part of my local community it'd be a shame if we had one less place to play. He does however travel to cali pretty frequently. I just wish he wouldn't play with such a bullshit character.

@Haunts:

I live a 5-6 hours from austin and I could go to arcade ufo if I wanted, But there's a place about 5 minutes from my house where all the players from north texas go for ranbats and such. It's a nice set up: a big screen downstairs and an "arcade" upstairs with 4 stations set up and you don't even need to bring your own stick. Texas recently had a big tournament and the dallas / ft worth scene dominated, even over some players that flew in from other states.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Scooper
    @lordofultima said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
    " wish i lived somewhere near a tournament scene for street fighter ....no where in Yorkshire D: "
    Yeah with the exception of Japan, people in the entire eastern hemisphere have trouble finding a scene, since everyone is spread so far apart. Maybe you can make your own scene? You never know. "
    The UK has one of the worst SFIV scenes around. Well unless it's very well hidden. If I had some people around that were actualy into SFIV I'd be on top of the moon.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @lordofultima said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
    Yeah with the exception of Japan, people in the entire eastern hemisphere have trouble finding a scene, since everyone is spread so far apart. Maybe you can make your own scene? You never know. "
    Turbomonkey's Yorkshire scrub club get together  . I can see it now  lol
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Scooper said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
    The UK has one of the worst SFIV scenes around. Well unless it's very well hidden. If I had some people around that were actualy into SFIV I'd be on top of the moon. "
    there is a scene in London at the trocadiro . I might be moving to London for uni so maybe ill represent GB over there
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By napalm
    @haunts said:
    " lol omg KAI WTF..hahaha...that ultra.. "
    Haunts, since Guile's Ultra is a stupid fucking piece of shit that doesn't do the goddamn thing it's fucking supposed to, do you think his Ultra is better used as a counter move? I find using Guile's Ultra to punish weak links is a great opportunity to fit a devastating full-blow attack in. I'm still working on places to fit it in, but sometimes after Ken's Tatsu, everybody expects for me to mash out something, so they go ahead and throw, but I've been able to fit a full-blown Ultra at the end of the Tatsu several times succcessfully. Another great example is right after Ryu's overhead attack. If the link is weak, I find it a perfect opportunity to use an Ultra.

What do you think about this?
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By haunts
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" Is Chun Li really a thick thighed wet dream or is she real? "

IN MY MIND SHE IS REAL! SKEEEEET SKEET SKEET. 

@Napalm said:

" @haunts said:

Haunts, since Guile's Ultra is a stupid fucking piece of shit that doesn't do the goddamn thing it's fucking supposed to, do you think his Ultra is better used as a counter move? I find using Guile's Ultra to punish weak links is a great opportunity to fit a devastating full-blow attack in. I'm still working on places to fit it in, but sometimes after Ken's Tatsu, everybody expects for me to mash out something, so they go ahead and throw, but I've been able to fit a full-blown Ultra at the end of the Tatsu several times succcessfully. Another great example is right after Ryu's overhead attack. If the link is weak, I find it a perfect opportunity to use an Ultra.  What do you think about this? "
    I think that sort of strategy can be baited far too often for it to be something to rely on. You should check out Dagger G, he is sick and is probably one of the best Guile player I have ever seen. 

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Scooper
    @haunts said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" Is Chun Li really a thick thighed wet dream or is she real? "

IN MY MIND SHE IS REAL! SKEEEEET SKEET SKEET. 

@Napalm

said:

" @haunts said:

Haunts, since Guile's Ultra is a stupid fucking piece of shit that doesn't do the goddamn thing it's fucking supposed to, do you think his Ultra is better used as a counter move? I find using Guile's Ultra to punish weak links is a great opportunity to fit a devastating full-blow attack in. I'm still working on places to fit it in, but sometimes after Ken's Tatsu, everybody expects for me to mash out something, so they go ahead and throw, but I've been able to fit a full-blown Ultra at the end of the Tatsu several times succcessfully. Another great example is right after Ryu's overhead attack. If the link is weak, I find it a perfect opportunity to use an Ultra.  What do you think about this? "
    I think that sort of strategy can be baited far too often for it to be something to rely on. You should check out Dagger G, he is sick and is probably one of the best Guile player I have ever seen. 

"
    Listen to this man Napalm. I manage to bait your Ultra and Flashkicks many times. It may work against randoms you fight for 2 or 3 rounds but if someone plays you regulary they'll cotton on to it and punish every time.
    MoeGoPing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By MoeGoPing

At what angle does Chun Li    kick?
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By AniMoney
    @MoeGoPing said:
    " At what angle does Chun Li    kick? "
    triangle? 

i don't get it
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#127  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @haunts:
    Thanks for the quick response.  My problem is that I often get pretty antsy in my pantsy and my impatience really kills me against turtles.  I'll try to turtle a little more and get them to have to come out of their shells long enough for me to get some decent damage on them. 
    And yeah, my cousin (Pukit on the forums, who is a pretty solid Rog player) has been trying to convince me for some time to pick up a stick.  I might have to go ahead and pick one up.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#128  Edited By Legend
    @haunts said:
    That's pretty awesome. It would great if you can contribute to this guide for SF beginners. All help is appreciated. :)
    Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#129  Edited By Leo
    @haunts: Hey, do you have any advice for me as a new player trying to improve? Is it worth my while to try and complete the trials and stuff, or would I be better off just grinding it out in PSN matches? Also, are there any characters that are better for starting out with? So far, I've used mostly Chun Li and Sagat, and I've had... um... limited success. Thanks a lot!
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By haunts
    @Leo said:

" @haunts: Hey, do you have any advice for me as a new player trying to improve? Is it worth my while to try and complete the trials and stuff, or would I be better off just grinding it out in PSN matches? Also, are there any characters that are better for starting out with? So far, I've used mostly Chun Li and Sagat, and I've had... um... limited success. Thanks a lot! "

Your best bet is probably playing online, watching videos of top players and try to see what they do each match that gets them the wins. Trials are okay but you can get wins just by solid spacing and timing -- you dont even need combos although they certainly do help. I just think it's better to get a solid foundation and strong understanding of your normal moves and how to use them at what ranges first. 

As far as characters, Sagat is ridiculously hard to learn and be proficent with just becuase he is so slow and requires super strict spacing on pretty much everything he does. I think Ryu and Balrog are really good for beginners -- Ryu has a fast wlaking speed, tools for virtually every situation and will help you grasp pretty much all aspects of SF4. Balrog has really strong normals, some good anti-airs, and once you learn his combos they are some of the easiest in the game.  

BTW, this isnt a knock on Ryu or Balrog players, every character at a high level is pretty hard to use but I think as far as easing into SF4 they are your best bet. 

PS: If you are interested in sticking with Sagat, I can answer pretty much anything about his game and every match up.
    yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By yetiantics

What would you say is your worst matchup? A character you (personally) know you are going to have a difficult time with? 

Like for example, Cammy players should not have any trouble against Zangief. I, on the other hand, do. lol
    thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By thatpinguino  Moderator

Here's a question, I main Fei Long and I have had a hard time using him competetively.  Unfortunately there aren't many pros that use Fei Long and as such there aren't many vids to learn from.  Do you have any tips for Fei Long?  Also I am probobly going to swich main's once super comes out if Fei doesn't get some sort of boost, which of the new characters have a similar feel, (mid range, agressive)?

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Stang
    @thatpinguino: No tips from me, but you may take a liking to Guy.
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By haunts
    @PantyshotMQN said:
    " What would you say is your worst matchup? A character you (personally) know you are going to have a difficult time with?  Like for example, Cammy players should not have any trouble against Zangief. I, on the other hand, do. lol "
    Lately... for me... ummm... Abel and Chun Li....  For Abel I have a real hard time keeping him away from me and Tiger Shot games are virtually useless. He can roll udner my Tiger Knees and roll to avoid uppercuts. A good Abel wont roll into a range where you can counter him and up close he forces you to guess in a lot of situations. 

Chun Li has a fast wlaking speed and great normals, so similar type of thing, once she gets in I have a hard time keeping her off me, but she is easier than Abel imo.  You can at least zone her with Tiger Shots (until she gets an Ultra anyway) and she takes a lot of damage and has a lot of moves that can be FAed for big damage. 

So yeah, right now abel is my main problem.. not really sure how to deal with a high level one..
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By haunts

btw, dont mean to be a douche and spam my site but we're running a stream today, tournament starts in like another hour or so:  http://iplaywinner.com 

@thatpinguino said: 

" Here's a question, I main Fei Long and I have had a hard time using him competetively.  Unfortunately there aren't many pros that use Fei Long and as such there aren't many vids to learn from.  Do you have any tips for Fei Long?  Also I am probobly going to swich main's once super comes out if Fei doesn't get some sort of boost, which of the new characters have a similar feel, (mid range, agressive)? "
    I realyl dont have a ton of tips -- just make good use of his normal moves like c.mp and c.fp, but each match up is different I guess. If you like playing him, I say stick with him and keep grinding but you will probably want to learn some other character that is more solid jsut as a back up.  

You might want to look into Abel, he can cause a lot of problems from mid to close range, he is also real tricky like fei long is as well. 

In Super, like Stang said,  you'll probably like Guy. He has some great Chain combos, devastating airgrab, can cancel into his super off some pretty basic combos for big damage -- he is going to be awesome! Although for me Juri is who I enjoy playing the most so far -- I think she is going to be pretty hard to use in the long run though. You may like her though cause she can play an agressive close range game but also has a lot of zoning tools such as her fireball and dive kick (armor breaking, woop!)
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @haunts said:
    " btw, dont mean to be a douche and spam my site but we're running a stream today, tournament starts in like another hour or so:   http://iplaywinner.com "
    FIXED
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#137  Edited By JJOR64
    @haunts: STOP PLUGGING!!!!                 j/k                            I'm watching the stream right now over at UStream.
    thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By thatpinguino  Moderator
    @Stang: yeah i am likeing what i'm seeing of guy considering fuerte and fei are my two favorites. 

@haunts: how is adon in super? He looks interesting but I heard Seth Killian mention that he was difficult and had no easy wins.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By JJOR64
    @thatpinguino: Adon is from Alpha, not 3rd Strike.
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By haunts

Oh yeah, ustream link for future reference (we dont always post streams on the front page): http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iplaywinner 

also, in this tournament, if you guys watch the whole thing, check out Filipino Champ (SETH/DHALSIM), 200 YEN (SAGAT), Hiro (BLANKA) and MASARAP (RYU) 

@thatpinguino said: 

@Stang: yeah i am likeing what i'm seeing of guy considering fuerte and fei are my two favorites.  Was adon any good in 3rd strike cause i like what i see of him but in a preview seth killian mentioned that adon was difficult and had no easy wins. "
    So far Adon kinda sucks. X( 
    thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By thatpinguino  Moderator
    @JJOR64: whoops my bad
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Why does SFIV's roster bore the shit out of me?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By thatpinguino  Moderator

ok hows about el fuerte is his new ultra useful and do you think he will ever be competitive?

OverLord00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By OverLord00

I've been following this thread and it has really got me interested in playing.  I think I might pick up a copy for the 360 sometime soon. 

Just so you know, I've played some, and completely suck ass.  So what advice to you have for a really, really inexperienced player?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Dan_CiTi said:
    " Why does SFIV's roster bore the shit out of me? "
    Because BlazBlue characters probably appeal to you more?
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Cirdain

I have been playing this game for 20 hours and have tried so hard to get good but why do I suck? :(

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#147  Edited By Plasma
    @Cirdain said:
    " I have been playing this game for 20 hours and have tried so hard to get good but why do I suck? :( "
    This isn't MW2, 20 hours is nothing. People measure the time they've played fighting games in years.  

For example, people have been playing 3s in Japan for 10 years, and show no sign of stopping, If you start now you've got no chance. Lucky for you, SFIV has only been out for a little while, and the increase in skill is very slow, so you can catch up. After a few 100 hours you'll see improvement, make sure you spend that time well.
    Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Tiwi

I'm having problems learning how to fight Ryu/ken/fireballdudes as cammy. I focus dash through their fireballs and use the hooligan combo to get close, but they always seem to use a dragonpunch or HP/HK to get me away from them. I keep getting punched back time and time again, and even when i manage to build up a supermeter to execute a EX Hooligan I still always seem to time it a little to late and they manage to duck and dodge the jump.
    WHAT CAN A DO? also any other simple tips for a "scrub"cammy player?

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#149  Edited By demontium
    @haunts: I will humble down my post because I know you've got experience.  

Let me take this chance to first and foremost apologize for that horribly wrong post.

I have a question about rufus. I need some jump-in help. A lot of times I see really good ruf players spam falcon kicks, like Wong for example. 

Anyways, whenever i do that, I know my timing is spot on, but people find ways of crouching + punching or SRKing outta the linking kicks. 

IDK what I should do when I jump in, i usually like to HP, stand HP, G tornado (or EX messiah kick > cancel Ultra). That always does good damage but better players can stop it easily. 

Any thoughts. 

Sorry and thanks.
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By haunts
    @tiwi said:

" I'm having problems learning how to fight Ryu/ken/fireballdudes as cammy. I focus dash through their fireballs and use the hooligan combo to get close, but they always seem to use a dragonpunch or HP/HK to get me away from them. I keep getting punched back time and time again, and even when i manage to build up a supermeter to execute a EX Hooligan I still always seem to time it a little to late and they manage to duck and dodge the jump. WHAT CAN A DO? also any other simple tips for a "scrub"cammy player? "

Shotos and Sagat  can def give Cammy a lot of problems by keeping her out, esp if the player knows her tricks. For one, I think EX Hooligan doesnt work that well even against intermediate players. You should probably save your meter for FADCing Cannon Spike. 

My suggestion is keep working your way in slowly, and do your best to land a throw. Once they are on the ground you can start a mean wake up game with her by combining tick throws, ambiguous Cannon Strikes and even just waiting and baiting Dragon Punches. That is really one of the first things you should try -- once they are on wake up, jus tthrow out a jab and walk backwards, see if they flinch and throw out a dragon punch. Once you've got them on the defensive, whiffing throws and attacks, you can punish them pretty hard each time. 

@demontium said: 

@haunts: I will humble down my post because I know you've got experience.   Let me take this chance to first and foremost apologize for that horribly wrong post. I have a question about rufus. I need some jump-in help. A lot of times I see really good ruf players spam falcon kicks, like Wong for example.  Anyways, whenever i do that, I know my timing is spot on, but people find ways of crouching + punching or SRKing outta the linking kicks.  IDK what I should do when I jump in, i usually like to HP, stand HP, G tornado (or EX messiah kick > cancel Ultra). That always does good damage but better players can stop it easily.  Any thoughts.  Sorry and thanks. "

No worries, you dont have to like me, but if we're in a street fighter thread id rather us just talk about the game. 

I play Ricky Ortiz a lot and he is probably just as good as any other top player Rufus and he really annoys the hell out of people with constant dive kicks.  What you may want to do is first off before going in right off the bat, sit back and build meter first off until you've got about 2-3 stocks locked and loaded. That will make your offense far more intimidating then just going in with no meter. Beyond that, if you do end up eating a throw/dp/whatever you will have a plan B to get them off you. Also remember the first round is all about feeling out the opponent and seeing what they like to do so dont feel like you have to go buckwild right off the bat. 

Once you start and offense though just see what they like to do after the first dive kick. A lot of good players will mix up between S.LK after the Dive Kick, A throw or another Dive Kick... Those and EX Messiah kick are generally speaking all the options you're looking at. Also, if they like to jump away I -think- you can do jump fwd RH to catch them into EX Snake Strike. 

Anyway, if you pressure them and see they keep going for throws, just counter it (I think s.lk will beat the throw or another dive kick will for sure). If they like to DP, just block, bait the DP and punish. 

This is a big part of Street Fighter -- reading your opponent and conditioning them to do certain things and then punishing them hard. If you can work on that then you will take your game far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.