Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Ask me anything about SF4!

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#351  Edited By Stang
    @Alphiehyr: Then go the hell away, I think I speak for all of us when I say who gives a shit what you think.
    jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#352  Edited By jaycee13
    @Alphiehyr: "mean words about things you like"
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#353  Edited By CaptainCody

I wish SSF4 would come out sooner so maybe I would be able to play with some of the awesomeness that is on these forums.
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#354  Edited By AndrewJD
    @Alphiehyr said:

" @haunts said:

" Yo yo! Whats up GiantBomb SF4 heads? I am pretty new around here and figured this may be a good way to get to know you guys. I've been going to tournaments for almost 10 years now and have traveled to Japan to play Daigo, Nuki, Momochi, Bonchan...well..you get the idea! I'm not the best AROUND but I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to compete at a high level.  Anyway, if you guys have any questions regarding SF4 or fighting game strategy in general, hit me up in this thread and I'll try to help!  -haunts "
    *Censored comment that is damaging to SF players eyes*
    Your a Poopy Head
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#355  Edited By lordofultima

Offensive post deleted.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Why the fuck did they not take the shortcuts out for ssf4. They are kacking lame.
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#357  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @mubress said:
    " @Alphiehyr said:

" @haunts said:

" Yo yo! Whats up GiantBomb SF4 heads? I am pretty new around here and figured this may be a good way to get to know you guys. I've been going to tournaments for almost 10 years now and have traveled to Japan to play Daigo, Nuki, Momochi, Bonchan...well..you get the idea! I'm not the best AROUND but I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to compete at a high level.  Anyway, if you guys have any questions regarding SF4 or fighting game strategy in general, hit me up in this thread and I'll try to help!  -haunts "
    *Censored comment that is damaging to SF players eyes*
    Your a Poopy Head "

Hey, look at your pic! looks like a poopy head.
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @Stang said:
    " @Alphiehyr: Then go the hell away, I think I speak for all of us when I say who gives a shit what you think. "
    Your certainly entitled to your opinion. You don't speak for the community unless you own them, which you don't.
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#359  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @lordofultima said:
    " Offensive post deleted. "
    Damn it! I am always late to the party.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Alphiehyr: If you hadn't been an antagonsing cunt, I'm sure people would have respected your apparent dislike of the genre. Why you bothered to come in here, in that case, bewilders me.

Fuck off.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361  Edited By Stang
    @SpecialBuddy said:

" @lordofultima said:

" Offensive post deleted. "

Damn it! I am always late to the party. "
    He failed at trolling us, he comes to the SFIV board and basically says this game is shit. Nothing spectacular. 

@GetEveryone said:

" @Alphiehyr: If you hadn't been an antagonsing cunt, I'm sure people would have respected your apparent dislike of the genre. Why you bothered to come in here, in that case, bewilders me.  Fuck off. "

I like you.
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By haunts

If anyone cares, I got my revenge on Mike Ross last weekend at the Sunroute Cup. I sent him into losers but he still did better than me.. I got 9th and he got 4th.. lol.. 

ps: there is no bad blood between me and Mike, he is a really chill dude but I'd be lying if I said I wasnt happy about this win. LOL
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#363  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @haunts:  Why would you do that to Mike :(

Thats good shit haha, I remember staying up till  4 am watching SBO qualifiers and my mind literally blew up when i saw Mike pull that shit on you and Magus. Probably one of the major factors in making me so excited /into SF4.

EDIT: why is everyone yelling at the one dude, I can't find what he said :( apparently Stang likes someone now.?!
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364  Edited By haunts

hey man, above all else, in Street Fighter 4 you gotta HANDLE YO BIZNESS. 

Also, I'll say this is a good example of why it's important to have a rival in SF4. It will help you take the game more seriously and really think about match ups and what you need to do to beat the other guy.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365  Edited By Stang

Good shit haunts. Maybe some day I will get the chance to play you and see what a real Sagat plays like.

Avatar image for nevereatnirnroot
    NevereatNirnroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hey i'm bit of a noob i just picked this a month or so a ago and i im trying to make a go of it with ryu but i always get pwned by  rufus players i just cant deal with the amount of pressure he puts on me, any tips?
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#367  Edited By ArbitraryWater  Online

Alright, I figure I should post in this topic at least once. How does one get good with Seth? I understand the basic concept of how to play him (Don't let your opponent get close.), but I would like to hear advice from someone who knows more than me.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#368  Edited By demontium
    @Stang said:
    " Good shit haunts. Maybe some day I will get the chance to play you and see what a real Sagat plays like. "
    Tell me about it.... fuckin' xbox live >.>
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#369  Edited By JJOR64
    @haunts:   Haha.  Great matches.  Mike Ross is my hero since I'm a Honda player myself.  Good shit.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#370  Edited By StaticFalconar

Hey haunts (and of course anyone else that's willing to give their 2 cents), whats your opinion on game speeds? Do you think the game speed in SF4 is too slow,? too fast,? just right?  Would you want Super to potentially have a turbo speed option? Would a faster game speed actually improve the gameplay or would it skew the direction of the game to mindless rush down (for the pros) and button mashing (for the noobs) and take the tactics away? (Yeah, I'm pretty sure the true pros out there would play the same meta game of tactics + execution, but just faster; however think of the public at large playing and accepting the speeds, since we don't exactly want SF/Fighting games to go back to being niche genre).

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @haunts: Dear haunts. Recently I've found that my game has plateaued I can't seem to get past certain match ups or even certain fundamentals (Like footsies). How would you recommend someone getting past this point so that they can get better and not be bogged down by one or 2 match-ups.

If it helps I main Blanka and Alt Boxer.

Thanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeffsekai: Footsie Handbook for the Motha' Fuckin' win. Linked!

Helps a lot with mindgames etc. and has lots of video examples of certain situations.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @GetEveryone: Read that, none of that works online because no one thinks that much when they play.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeffsekai: Don't bother with online then, because its filled with nonsense. Player matches or local are the best way to improve. Sparring with someone slightly better or even at your level pushes you.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375  Edited By lordofultima
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @GetEveryone: Read that, none of that works online because no one thinks that much when they play. "
    I would disagree, on a good connection footsies are always viable. Maybe it's a bit harder to punish whiffed limbs or jump in unscathed, but they're definitely there.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @GetEveryone: Read that, none of that works online because no one thinks that much when they play. "
    I would disagree, on a good connection footsies are always viable. Maybe it's a bit harder to punish whiffed limbs or jump in unscathed, but they're definitely there. "
    Sorry I did not mean footsies but more the mind games that he discusses in that handbook i.e training them to think you won;t jump etc.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377  Edited By napalm
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    I would disagree, on a good connection footsies are always viable. Maybe it's a bit harder to punish whiffed limbs or jump in unscathed, but they're definitely there. "
    Sorry I did not mean footsies but more the mind games that he discusses in that handbook i.e training them to think you won;t jump etc. "
    Mind games don't exist all too much online. If you get a good opponent who understands the meta-game, it's definitely more fun than somebody who does random jump ins and srks.
    AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378  Edited By AURON570

Ok I got a question. So I was watching a stream the other day, we were watching a really good gief. The commentator said, "he's definitely one of the top giefs in america". Then I made an offhand comment in chat saying, "___'s gief is also pro". A mod replied to me saying "____ just churns." Implying that the gief we were watching doesn't churn and is better than the gief player that I mentioned. 

Up until this point I always thought "churning" was just slang for "buffering a 360/720", similar to "playing lame" means "turtling or playing very defensively". So my question is, is there something wrong with buffering 360s or churning that is looked down upon? I don't see any reason it's bad.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379  Edited By Thrawn1
    @AURON570 said:
    " Ok I got a question. So I was watching a stream the other day, we were watching a really good gief. The commentator said, "he's definitely one of the top giefs in america". Then I made an offhand comment in chat saying, "___'s gief is also pro". A mod replied to me saying "____ just churns." Implying that the gief we were watching doesn't churn and is better than the gief player that I mentioned.   Up until this point I always thought "churning" was just slang for "buffering a 360/720", similar to "playing lame" means "turtling or playing very defensively". So my question is, is there something wrong with buffering 360s or churning that is looked down upon? I don't see any reason it's bad. "
    was the gief player jan from austin?
    AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380  Edited By AURON570
    @Thrawn:  No.
    Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381  Edited By Scullinator

Im reading lots on eventhubs.com trying to get a deeper understanding of this game.  

My first question is why is a character like Ryu ranked so much higher than Ken on the character tier chart?  What do they take into consideration when making this list?  I have always used Ryu up till SF4, I feel ken just plays better in this game.  Now I see this list and it confuses me.

Second Question.. help me understand Focus Dash Canceling??????

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382  Edited By Thrawn1

Focus Attack Dash Canceling or FADC is just like it sounds. While you're focusing, you can tap forwards or backwards twice to dash out of the animation. Make sure you don't let go of the focus until after you've dashed or the dash won't come out. You can also dash after you release a focus attack on the enemy character. There are lots of reasons why FADC'ing is useful. Most special attacks and some normal attacks can be focused canceled...meaning that if you focus at the right time during your attack your character will cancel from the first attack straight into the focus. This is called an EX focus because it takes two bars of super meter. Lets say you think you should do a dragon punch on wakeup, but you're unsure if it's safe or not. As long as the other person is hit by or blocks the dragon punch you can safely ex FADC. If the attack hits and you fadc, some characters can hit the person with another attack while they're in the air. For example ryu can do shoryuken, FADC, ultra.

If you don't understand why ryu is better than ken then you just need to play the game more until you do. As far as tier charts go, explanations for how those work should already be on eventhubs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Scullinator: His srks seem to have more invincibility and fewer start up frames, but I cant be sure of that. His hadoken is definitely faster, especially recovery frames. His cr.mk has quicker start up too. An srk leads easily into his ultra (trade, wtf?). Throw all this together, and you have a character who is a better all rounder than Ken, and whose footies game is a lot stronger.

He has a faster walking speed too (which makes no sense given Ken is meant to be rushdown).

Edit: I actually have two questions relating to Ken.

1. Regarding option selects, how do you OS jumping hard kick and hurricane kick? I've heard this talked about, but the acual input details have evaded me. Obviously I know the fundamental, crouch, lk, tech OS. Any other help regarding them would be appreciated. Does he have many other useful ones? Ground or air.

2. I consider Cammy my worst, personal match-up. Without providing video its difficult to pin-point exactly where I'm going wrong, but any basic strategies for this match-up would be appreciated.

Cheers.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384  Edited By Stang
    @GetEveryone: Ken's cr. mk is faster going out but has 1 more recovery frame. SRK leds easily into ultra with Ken also.

Ryu had a shit load of advantages, some of which GetEveryone mentioned.

More damge, much more damage with regard to srk fadc ultra. Fucking stupid.
    Better SRK
    Better hado
    Better tatsu
    Faster sweep 
    trade into ultra
    Roughly 10 ways to combo into ultra, Ken has 2, those being srk fadc and ex tatsu. Ex tatsu into ultra is extremely risky though.

Ken is the right hands is nasty though. Kara mixups and tatsu mixups all day long. Easy wins when you get good because most people don't know how to fight legit Kens.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Stang: I meant more that Ken can't srk ultra without FADC, and the timing on that is a lot stricter than Ryu's. There is the hurricane kick combo I suppose, but the times landing that are few and far between.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386  Edited By demontium
    @Stang said:
    " @GetEveryone: Ken's cr. mk is faster going out but has 1 more recovery frame. SRK leds easily into ultra with Ken also.  Ryu had a shit load of advantages, some of which GetEveryone mentioned.  More damge, much more damage with regard to srk fadc ultra. Fucking stupid.Better SRK Better hado Better tatsu Faster sweep  trade into ultraRoughly 10 ways to combo into ultra, Ken has 2, those being srk fadc and ex tatsu. Ex tatsu into ultra is extremely risky though.  Ken is the right hands is nasty though. Kara mixups and tatsu mixups all day long. Easy wins when you get good because most people don't know how to fight legit Kens. "
    If ryu is so much better, then use him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demontium: Because Ken is all about STYLE.

:)
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388  Edited By lordofultima
    @demontium said:
    " @Stang said:
    " @GetEveryone: Ken's cr. mk is faster going out but has 1 more recovery frame. SRK leds easily into ultra with Ken also.  Ryu had a shit load of advantages, some of which GetEveryone mentioned.  More damge, much more damage with regard to srk fadc ultra. Fucking stupid.Better SRK Better hado Better tatsu Faster sweep  trade into ultraRoughly 10 ways to combo into ultra, Ken has 2, those being srk fadc and ex tatsu. Ex tatsu into ultra is extremely risky though.  Ken is the right hands is nasty though. Kara mixups and tatsu mixups all day long. Easy wins when you get good because most people don't know how to fight legit Kens. "
    If ryu is so much better, then use him. "
    He's better than Blanka too, you should probably give that big green scrub up.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389  Edited By Stang
    @lordofultima said:
    " @demontium said:
    " @Stang said:
    He's better than Blanka too, you should probably give that big green scrub up. "

What kind of logic is that Demontium? Based on your odd thought pattern, we all should use Sagat because he is the best dude in the game. I agree wholeheartedly with Ultima though, Blanka is stupid as hell.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#390  Edited By Shadow

yes, yes, everyone's better than everyone else

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#391  Edited By SpecialBuddy

I personally think Ken's Tatsu is best in the game.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392  Edited By demontium
    @lordofultima said:
    " @demontium said:
    " @Stang said:
    He's better than Blanka too, you should probably give that big green scrub up. "
    I pick the color where he is red and black, your argument is invalid. 

@Stang said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @demontium said:
    " @Stang said:
    What kind of logic is that Demontium? Based on your odd thought pattern, we all should use Sagat because he is the best dude in the game. I agree wholeheartedly with Ultima though, Blanka is stupid as hell. "
    I was kinda Joking but its cool. I guess I am really good at.... accidentally.... getting people mad.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393  Edited By Stang
    @demontium: For some reason your humor is hard to pick up on :/
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394  Edited By lordofultima
    @Stang said:
    " @demontium: For some reason your humor is hard to pick up on :/ "
    It's like Napalm sarcasm, but somehow worse. There's just no way to tell. SHUT THE HELL UP STANG. I HOPE YOU NO LONGER LIVE ON THIS EARTH.

See, that was me joking there.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#395  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Stang said:
    There's just no way to tell.
    That's the best kind of sarcasm there is.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396  Edited By Stang
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Stang said:
    It's like Napalm sarcasm, but somehow worse. There's just no way to tell. SHUT THE HELL UP STANG. I HOPE YOU NO LONGER LIVE ON THIS EARTH. See, that was me joking there. "
    This made me chuckle. Seems caps are the key to success.

And on the record, I am shit awful at detecting subtle sarcasm on the net. Most of you fellas I pick up no problem, but Demontium and Napalm hurt my peanut brain.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397  Edited By demontium
    @Stang said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @Stang said:
    It's like Napalm sarcasm, but somehow worse. There's just no way to tell. SHUT THE HELL UP STANG. I HOPE YOU NO LONGER LIVE ON THIS EARTH. See, that was me joking there. "
    This made me chuckle. Seems caps are the key to success.  And on the record, I am shit awful at detecting subtle sarcasm on the net. Most of you fellas I pick up no problem, but Demontium and Napalm hurt my peanut brain. "
    Lets just call it even: and for a penance, I will suck your cock bi-weekly. No homo.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398  Edited By demontium
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Stang said:
    For that I will double post.... 

owned.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#399  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @demontium said:
    " @Stang said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @Stang said:
    This made me chuckle. Seems caps are the key to success.  And on the record, I am shit awful at detecting subtle sarcasm on the net. Most of you fellas I pick up no problem, but Demontium and Napalm hurt my peanut brain. "
    Lets just call it even: and for a penance, I will suck your cock bi-weekly. No homo. "
    No, that sounds pretty homo.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400  Edited By demontium
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @demontium said:
    " @Stang said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @Stang said:
    Lets just call it even: and for a penance, I will suck your cock bi-weekly. No homo. "
    No, that sounds pretty homo. "
    You guys are on crack. How is sucking dick willingly (especially stang's) homo?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.