Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Best beginner character for online play?

rickolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rickolus

HELP! I'm in the awful transitional faze of being able to beat all my friends, and still get my ass handed to me online >_<

So far I've won 1 ranked match out of like 20... and that was against Dan   o_0

Which character should I focus on mastering? Some good all around character that's easy enough for me to control and can still throw down enough for me to get by?

You're going to say Ryu, huh?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

ACTUALLY, I WAS GOING TO SAY KEN

But yeah, at least in my experience Ken and Ryu are usually the best choice for starting out.

They have some of the easiest specials to pull off and most of them lead into combos nicely.

They don't really have many weakness, but not many strengths either.

That really is the only downside, though only because they aren't too specialized.

rickolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rickolus

Thanks for the tip !

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Randolph

That may have been me you beat then.  I don't take ranked very seriously at all, so I go SAIKYO POWER all the way.  I have fun, I laugh, I cry, and occasionally I actually win, which is totally not supposed to happen. (and nets a hilarious response from the other guy playing as Akuma)

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By bagmanforhire

i started off with ryu (his still my main) but i learned all of the other characters moves and then its comes down to do you like change characters(M.bison,guile) or roll characters(Ryu,Ken,Abel).

way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By way

Ryu is still the best all-around character.

Your friends probably suck. Just master him

rickolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rickolus

Well, after losing a bunch with Ryu, I decided to give Cammy a go. Played through her training
    all the way, got online and won for the second time !

Something about that ass shot at the beginning of the match that awakens some primal urge
    to really go aggro and beat a man to death... or maybe I just think Kylie Minogue is swell.

JDM006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JDM006
    rickolus said:
    "HELP! I'm in the awful transitional faze of being able to beat all my friends, and still get my ass handed to me online >_<

So far I've won 1 ranked match out of like 20... and that was against Dan   o_0

Which character should I focus on mastering? Some good all around character that's easy enough for me to control and can still throw down enough for me to get by?

You're going to say Ryu, huh?
    "

We are in the same boat.  I am getting owned online as well.  The character I'm trying to get good with is El Fuerte.  I like his style.
    ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Ryu is a good character to start with, but if you want to destroy people online I hear that Crimson Viper is the best all around character.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Otacon

I'm sticking with Ryu, but I'm in a similar situation that you are, this is horrible for me as, out of all my friends I was the one who was the best at Street Fighter but perhaps they just really sucked.

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bagmanforhire

also i found this when i was helping a friend understand some of the stuff in the game (its showing super street fighter 2 turbo but some of the concept still apply to SF4)

rickolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rickolus
    BagManForHire said:
    "also i found this when i was helping a friend understand some of the stuff in the game (its showing super street fighter 2 turbo but some of the concept still apply to SF4)
    Wow, awesome. Thank you !
    Darklyte510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Darklyte510

Dude those videos are amazing! Thanks!

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By sickVisionz
    ParanoidFreak said:
    "Ryu is a good character to start with, but if you want to destroy people online I hear that Crimson Viper is the best all around character.
    "
    I'm complete ass and I play as her.  I think her moves have potential to be the most useful once you're good, but man she is weak.  Like any special move done against you is an instant like 1/3 of your health bar.  And her damage dealt is crap.

But she wears stunna shades so she cool beans in my book.  And she's about getting money, which is always admirable.
    ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShiroMe

Rose is the most overpowered character in the game. If you would like to give up your pride for wins, go for it.

Ryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Ryu

Has Street Fighter always been like this? I thought it was generally quite easy, spamming buttons when I was about eight years old let me finish Alpha 3.

I always thought it was just one of those games you don't have to put that much thought into.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By sickVisionz

Try Zangief.  The way that the computer plays as him, I think the point of the game is to move spam and trap people in attacks in that split second that your character stands up and you can't block.

He  can run through most attacks, all of his moves do an insane amount of damage.  Plus, it seems like its easy to trap people in a loop of moves as soon as they stand up.  He's got a spin move that always seems to have priorty of air attacks (even if you're jumping higher than his arms and kicking him in the head way before your body is even low enough to touch his arms) and its incredibly wide so its almost impossible to jump over it.
    satseb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By satseb

C. Viper is an expert character in my opinion, I would not suggest her. Don't use Ken, he can't cancel into an ultra and he telegraphs all of his moves. Stick to Ryu or if you want shoto style but something different then Sakura or Akuma are great. Akuma takes hella damage though so be careful. I also would not recommend Zangief unless you can pull off 360 degree rotations easily without jumping.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Demilich

No Caption Provided

rickolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rickolus
    Ryu said:
    "Has Street Fighter always been like this? I thought it was generally quite easy, spamming buttons when I was about eight years old let me finish Alpha 3.

I always thought it was just one of those games you don't have to put that much thought into."
    That's true for VS CPU or against your friends, but get online and try that and you'd be lucky to win 1 battle in a hundred.
    bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bagmanforhire

@Demilich i love that pic lol!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.