Can I play Ken and not be a bad person?

  • 54 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by misterpope (379 posts) -

So I've been maining Abel for most of the time I've had Street Fighter IV, but recently went into the Trials and did a bunch of the character's trials, including Ken. 
 
And Ken is awesome. How he plays is just really fun to me. 
 
I mained Ken all the time when I played SSFII, but once I got IV, I didn't want to be just another Ken. 
 
And I kind of suck at the game, so I really am "just another Ken."  
 
But my question is, is there anyway I can play ken and not be a bad person?  
 
Thanks.
#2 Posted by FartyMcNarly (566 posts) -

Nope, only bad people play Ken.

#3 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -
@misterpope said:
" So I've been maining Abel for most of the time I've had Street Fighter IV, but recently went into the Trials and did a bunch of the character's trials, including Ken.  And Ken is awesome. How he plays is just really fun to me.  I mained Ken all the time when I played SSFII, but once I got IV, I didn't want to be just another Ken.  And I kind of suck at the game, so I really am "just another Ken."   But my question is, is there anyway I can play ken and not be a bad person?   Thanks. "
Just dont fireball or uppercut all the time.
#4 Posted by Chuggsy (554 posts) -

Having never played Street Fighter, I say yes. Because they put him in the game for people to play, so play him if you want to.

#5 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

Follow your heart, bro.

#6 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

Stang can't so you can't.

#7 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

No.

#8 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11621 posts) -

Well, Stang plays Ken, and he is a bad person, but that really doesn't have anything to do with him maining ken.
 
But why would you want to main him in the first place? Main someone with class, like Dan (or, if you are crazy: Gen)!

#9 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

You should probably just kill yourself.

#10 Posted by Hunkulese (2695 posts) -

Why exactly does it matter if you're just another Ken. You shouldn't be letting random videogame nerds affect how you enjoy a game.

#11 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -

I support you.
 
Just remember to keep the pressure on. People who play Ken like Ryu pt. 2 are the real evil-doers.

#12 Edited by LeetBalla (698 posts) -

You should main Dhalsim. He is just like Ken, except with longer appendages, slower, and Indian; but he has fire, so he is just like Ken. 

#13 Edited by Stang (4726 posts) -

Hey look, another dumb Ken thread. There is nothing wrong with Ken, the only people who bitch about him are the people who are horrible at the game. I get great joy beating the shit out of all the haters out there. Pick Ken, get good, smash scrubs, then laugh at them. It is what I do.

#14 Posted by Andorski (5268 posts) -

It's like when students inquire about potential plagiarism in their reports.  If you have to ask... then you probably shouldn't do it.

#15 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1480 posts) -

Ken's not that bad, I actually like playing as him.
I'd ask Stang for advice though, that guy makes me cry.

#16 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Newp. Not possible.

#17 Posted by copycatzen (816 posts) -

bad person, very very bad person
#18 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -

Yes. Ken is fine, he's actually pretty fun to play.

#19 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
" Ken's not that bad, I actually like playing as him. I'd ask Stang for advice though, that guy makes me cry. "
I am glad I can make you cry :) Your Rufus is improving a lot, you will be making me cry soon!
#20 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Dude, Ken and Ryu are totally lame. You can do better.

#21 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@LeetBalla said:
" You should main Dhalsim. He is just like Ken, except with longer appendages, slower, and Indian; but he has fire, so he is just like Ken.  "
Nah he should main C viper, she has fire and electricity so he's bound to win by default 
#22 Posted by ThePhenomenal1 (467 posts) -

unless you can prove that you are a walking damdai/ed ma, then no you can't. if you play ken you better be able to school everybody. AMBIGUOUS CROSSUPS!

#23 Posted by Shadow (4979 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: indeed
#24 Edited by AngelKore (160 posts) -

No, everybody knows Ryu is the man to go if you wanna go pro.

#25 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@ThePhenomenal1 said:
" unless you can prove that you are a walking damdai/ed ma, then no you can't. if you play ken you better be able to school everybody. AMBIGUOUS CROSSUPS! "
LOL damdai. Yeah.
#26 Posted by Vade (393 posts) -

Ryu's lame. Ken's cool. Shoryucan.

#27 Posted by Tally_Pants (591 posts) -

Very Bad! Very, Very, Very Bad!  
  
#28 Edited by lordofultima (6234 posts) -
@Stang said:

" @ThePhenomenal1 said:

" unless you can prove that you are a walking damdai/ed ma, then no you can't. if you play ken you better be able to school everybody. AMBIGUOUS CROSSUPS! "
LOL damdai. Yeah. "
Stang calling out Damdai, when I meet him I'll tell him about your mash jab tactic. =P 
 
Damdai and Dr. Chaos are pretty much the only Kens in this world, since I don't count Japan.
#29 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@lordofultima: That is just my opinion. I find nothing special about Damdai. Chaos is on another level. Can I beat Damdai? I dunno, personally I think so. And tell him about my habit of adding an extra button during my combos, maybe that is what he needs to learn to play from the player one side. Want to beat Damdai? Keep him on the left side of the screen. Done.
#30 Posted by lordofultima (6234 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @lordofultima: That is just my opinion. I find nothing special about Damdai. Chaos is on another level. Can I beat Damdai? I dunno, personally I think so. And tell him about my habit of adding an extra button during my combos, maybe that is what he needs to learn to play from the player one side. Want to beat Damdai? Keep him on the left side of the screen. Done. "
He seems to do pretty well in tournaments, to me that just seems as silly as Ani calling out Javits.
#31 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@lordofultima: You know all the big time players, any way you can set up a match? I am confident in my ability, I may not beat him but I will put up a pretty damn good fight.
#32 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @Stang said:
" @lordofultima: That is just my opinion. I find nothing special about Damdai. Chaos is on another level. Can I beat Damdai? I dunno, personally I think so. And tell him about my habit of adding an extra button during my combos, maybe that is what he needs to learn to play from the player one side. Want to beat Damdai? Keep him on the left side of the screen. Done. "
He seems to do pretty well in tournaments, to me that just seems as silly as Ani calling out Javits. "
Javits sucks. I could take him out no prob. 
 
lol no.
#33 Posted by Virago (2486 posts) -

Do what comes natural. If Ken's your man... then take him.

#34 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @lordofultima: You know all the big time players, any way you can set up a match? I am confident in my ability, I may not beat him but I will put up a pretty damn good fight. "
That is online though so even if ya did beat him 20 - 0 it wouldn't mean you were better because local and internet are 2 different games, really.
I know you're not looking to say "I'm better then..." but online fights don't usualy mean a whole much.
#35 Posted by ThePhenomenal1 (467 posts) -

oh my... i brought up one dudes name and started a whole bunch of shit. curses.

#36 Posted by MonetaryDread (2015 posts) -

I feel the same way when I choose Sagat, he has always been my main, but everyone I play against always bitches about how Sagat is overpowered. I say, "fuck the haters, play who you want to play."

#37 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Scooper: Don't agree at all. The game is not fundamentally different online and off, especially if you play online as if it were offline. Blah blah lag made me lose blah blah, I agree with the lag arguments. But, if I beat somebody 10-2 online with minimal lag, I highly doubt they will beat me offline. Is Flushes going to own me for free offline? FUCK NO! Are their skills magically going to improve and mine go down the tube if we played offline? Nope. 
 
The people I lose to (most of them) online will beat me offline, it is that simple. Kreymore, Sabin, Chris Hu, Mr SNK...I have lost to all of them online. Can I lame out and say offline I would beat them? I guess I could, but we all know I would be full of shit.
#38 Posted by MCXCI (140 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:
" Follow your heart, bro. "
Word.
#39 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@ThePhenomenal1 said:
" oh my... i brought up one dudes name and started a whole bunch of shit. curses. "
Tis the way of the SFIV boards, you are not to blame.
#40 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @Scooper: Don't agree at all. The game is not fundamentally different online and off, especially if you play online as if it were offline. Blah blah lag made me lose blah blah, I agree with the lag arguments. But, if I beat somebody 10-2 online with minimal lag, I highly doubt they will beat me offline. Is Flushes going to own me for free offline? FUCK NO! Are their skills magically going to improve and mine go down the tube if we played offline? Nope.   The people I lose to (most of them) online will beat me offline, it is that simple. Kreymore, Sabin, Chris Hu, Mr SNK...I have lost to all of them online. Can I lame out and say offline I would beat them? I guess I could, but we all know I would be full of shit. "
Fair enough. I don't really have a clue what I'm talking about anyway. Don't know why I even brought it up because I can't even back it up with anything lol.
#41 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Scooper: It is all good. I just have never agreed with the thought that "I lost because we played online." There are circumstances where this can hold true though, for instance if there is real lag that screws up timing, also against the people I hate and hope get genital cancer, mashers. I still cringe when I think about losing 10-0 to JR. Dude is good, but offline against him would be completely different then offline against somebody who plays the game on Live as if it were offline. I know I sound like a hyprocrite, but fuck it. I still want to play him in person and see if he is able to mash demons/srk's through my block strings.
 
If I came off like an ass in my response, I apologize. "Losing because it is online" is just too convenient, and honestly is bullshit in my opinion. In most cases, there is an obvious skill difference between people when somebody beats somebody else 10-0, and offline is not going to change that fact. Sure, the score obviously may not be 10-0 offline, but I would put my money on the person who won 10-0 online.
#42 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@Stang: Yeah I guess I was just thinking of the times when I've faught someone (let's just say Ken because that's what I was thinking) and they do that blocked jab SRK and then mash out a fierce right after. Offline it's alot easier to punish that jab SRK but sometimes online the guy knows it can't really be punished and so goes strait into a big damage SRK and that sorta thing annoys me. I know it wouldn't change a 20-0 score just because of that. I made a mistake, but it is really annoying when that sort of thing happens.
#43 Posted by misterpope (379 posts) -
@Pato said:
" @rjayb89 said:
" Follow your heart, bro. "
Word. "

This is pretty good. Just to clarify, I don't really think Ken is stupid, it's just that the internet at large seems to hate him.
#44 Edited by lordofultima (6234 posts) -
@Stang said:

" @lordofultima: You know all the big time players, any way you can set up a match? I am confident in my ability, I may not beat him but I will put up a pretty damn good fight. "

I definitely think you can back up what you say unlike me (which is why I never talk about myself in serious tone), so if I ever get a hold of Damdai I would be thrilled to tell him you challenge him to a duel. Obviously 20-0 would be a blowout and no one could hide behind online, but I imagine it would be like 8-2 and he would say he lost a match because he didn't tech a throw that would have teched offline. Something like that.
#45 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@lordofultima: You can handle. There is a problem you suffer from that I don't though. Do to your sick tutorials. the community has placed an unjustified level of expectation upon your shoulders, if you don't perform at Ed Ma level people talk shit, and that is ridiculous. Since I am nothing more then a leech I have no such pressure, thank god. We know you are legit, but ironically by contributing the way you have, you have to prove yourself moreso then most. Pretty fucked up how things work.
 
@Scooper: That blocked jab srk->fierce mashed srk is an example of online bullshit tactics, and people who beat you like that fall into the category of offline would have a different outcome.
#46 Posted by Jemenez (274 posts) -

Ken is the most fun out of all the shotos to fight.  Not much people actually "Main" him anyways. Most of the people online are just picking him because he's easy or they haven't figured out the Ryu is just better.  
 
Go for it.

#47 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

You'll have 10 more reasons not to play Ken in a little bit, if you keep at it yeah man. Lame.

#48 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" You'll have 10 more reasons not to play Ken in a little bit, if you keep at it yeah man. Lame. "
Does anybody else understand this, or am I just that big of a retard?
#49 Posted by Davvyk (694 posts) -

Jumping kick to low leg sweep constantly! I found that made me alot of friends as ryu. ;-) 
 
Nah seriously, play as who you want! Its only a game 
 
......did i just say its only a game?   my xbox accounts going to be hacked within seconds

#50 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Davvyk: Online is only a game. In person is SERIOUS BUSINESS!!
 
Don't use Ken if you only play online, well unless you have a flawless connection. Kara throwing does not work on the mentally challenged, you will eat mashed dp's all day. Top tier all the way online.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.