Cheap Mod: Home Depot springs for added tension to your stick

#1 Posted by EvilGreenDevil (197 posts) -

Hey everyone,  

Not sure if this was ever brought up here but with all the talk about arcade sticks lately, I thought I would offer this simple and cheap mod to add a little more tension to the MadCatz TE sticks. I guess this would pretty much work for any stick that will fit these springs but I have a TE so I'm speaking from my experience.  

Basically, theres a package of assorted springs you can buy at any Home Depot. It's around $4 and comes with something like 80 or so different kinds of screws.  

There is only one spring in the pack that will actually work because it is the only one wide enough to fit around the plastic piece that the other spring sits on. Basically take the current Sanwa spring out, and join it with the new spring so you have the 2 springs together. Just twist them together and one will fit right inside the other, they are almost the same size in diameter and length.     

There's also a few other springs in the box that could work. It's pretty much down to your preference to just play around with what works best for you. I personally like the original stock TE spring with one of these added to it. If anyone isn't sure how to open the actual Sanwa joystick up, do a quick search and you should find a video or two that walks you through the process.  Let me know if any of you try this and what you think, I kind of like it.  
#2 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

The steps desperate men take in getting the precise amount of tension in an arcade stick.

Pretty damn cool though. You get the spring you want plus 80 other springs that you might someday need.

#3 Posted by EvilGreenDevil (197 posts) -

haha not desperate just different....for $4 i figured it was worth a shot. Beats ordering one and paying for shipping. 

#4 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Aint that the truth. And at least when you inevitably get a spring stuck in your eye from pissing around with it on your desk you'll be safe in the knowledge you didn't overpay for it.

#5 Posted by CoverlessTech (746 posts) -

I find the JLF to be perfect in terms of tension. I've tried multiple different screws as well as combination of screws. Nothing beats the stock JLF though.

#6 Posted by lordofultima (6236 posts) -

But...a spring mod cost like 98 cents, surely that doesn't cost 4 dollars shipping.

#7 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" But...a spring mod cost like 98 cents, surely that doesn't cost 4 dollars shipping. "
But you get like 80 springs to try out or just play with. And you don't have to wait for shipping.
#8 Posted by Mikemcn (6982 posts) -
@AniMoney said:
" @lordofultima said:
" But...a spring mod cost like 98 cents, surely that doesn't cost 4 dollars shipping. "
But you get like 80 springs to try out or just play with. And you don't have to wait for shipping. "
I could make a really improper joke about "sticks" and "springs" and playing with them, but I won't, someone else will do it for me. Make it happen people....
#9 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

You gotta play with your stick alot before you find just the right way to make your stick spring to action

#10 Posted by EvilGreenDevil (197 posts) -

i like mine a little tighter than normal

#11 Posted by lordofultima (6236 posts) -
@EvilGreenDevil said:
" i like mine a little tighter than normal "
Me too, which is why I got an LS-33 spring for medium tension.
#12 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

The only real take away message here is not to rely too much on buying shit online. 4 bucks may be "cheap" but so is 89 cents for that one spring that you will use. If all you're gonna do is change the spring and not buy anything else, of course go to a real store and buy a spring, but if you're also gonna buy buttons and stuff to mod your stick, that 89 cents seems so much better than the 4 bucks. 

#13 Posted by EvilGreenDevil (197 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
" The only real take away message here is not to rely too much on buying shit online. 4 bucks may be "cheap" but so is 89 cents for that one spring that you will use. If all you're gonna do is change the spring and not buy anything else, of course go to a real store and buy a spring, but if you're also gonna buy buttons and stuff to mod your stick, that 89 cents seems so much better than the 4 bucks.  "
Agreed but the LS-33's are out of stock every so often and on top of that, you're buying just one spring. The reason I think getting  a handful of them is a good idea because it gives you plenty of options to see if it's even worth it to change the spring. Honestly when I first heard of adding a second spring or changing them all together, I didn't think it would really matter. For $4 or so, I figured what the eff I'll try it and it's not half bad. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.