Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

David Sirlin speaks out against SF4

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By EvilDingo

It doesn't come off like he hate's the game or anything, but he does address some problems with some design-choices for the game.

If you don't know who Sirlin is, he is a pro SF2-fighter who's been involved in Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix... Which makes him somewhat qualified to talk about these things.

I frequently visit Sirlins Blog since he has some interesting articles about game-design and stuff like that. 
    Was actually going to he's blog to read some of he's design explanations for SF2THDR, when I encountered this article.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

The only thing I agree with or care about what he said is the fact that we have to unlock the characters.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ImpendingFoil

I agree with how matchmaking should be double blind and that you can kick people from ranked.  I find almost everything else to be nitpicky.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

He is nitpicky, but for damn good reason.  That was probably one of the best articles that I've read about SFIV so far in terms of the natural aesthetics of the game.  What's probably worse is that I understood all of it.

I 100% agree with him on Cammy's hooligan throw and on the Roman cancels, as well.  It's a very tedious task that needs to be brought back to simpler levels in order to keep the action going.

The map size issue that he has, well...yeah, that's a bit TOO nitpicky, but I have seen a lot of runaway strats in videos for the game...so it seems a bit justified.

The one thing I disagree with him on is the two button throws.  While bringing them down to 1 button would be optimal for tournament play, I think the reason Capcom has 2 button throws is simply to help discourage them from being used as much...as you'll see their cheap use in many 3D fighters and even in 2D fighters like MK and such.  Granted...MK is by no means in the same league as SF.  Two very different games.  However, I agree with the part where he mentions SPECIFICALLY Cammy's combo and how it uses a 2-button press in the middle of a combo like that, which is pretty fucking random to have for a combo setup on a 2D fighter.

I'm surprised he didn't say anything about charge times being off as well, but maybe I just need to get used to the way charges are set up in SFIV.  =  /

I also was completely unaware of the frame issue with online with button inputs, as I haven't gotten to take the game online yet.  That makes me definitely wanna stay away from the online as much as possible.

Very well written and professional article.  That is a must read for any serious Street Fighter player.  Then again, there are technical aspects in some of the things he said that other players would probably tear apart...like, ya know...how he's comparing too much of the stuff to Guilty Gear (although SFIV does seem to rely pretty heavily on ripping stuff from that franchise).

Anyone that honestly reads that article and thinks the guy is nitpicky is simply a casual player.  lol
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

"In ranked matches, you can see the opponent's name before the match and kick them or reject the challenge. This allows you to cherry pick who you fight and negates the entire purpose of a ranked match.

In ranked matches (well, all matches) there is no double blind character select. This means the optimum strategy is often to wait until the opponent chooses first so you can counter-pick. This is a very annoying situation."

All that I 100% agree with.

"When lag inevitably happens in an online fighting game, there are different ways to handle it. Some SF4 matches I played had large input delay, maybe as high as 15 frames. This is the time between your button press and seeing the effect happen. Adding input delay is really the worst way to handle lag. GGPO's amazing netcode shows that avoiding input delay and hiding lag in other ways is the way to go. That technology has been readily available for years, so it's disappointing to feel input delay in an online match.

They didn't include GGPO because the overhead of GGPO was too high while running the game SF4.  This is what Capcom stated.  However, I think the netcode is amazingly well done.  I've only run into 2 matches were the lag was enough to make me have difficulty, and I never host, so I'm probably seeing more lag than the hosts see.

I'm a very average SF4 player and I have no problem with Cammy's hooligan throw.  If this guy can't handle it, maybe I'm too good or something?
    EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvilDingo
    jakob187 said:
    "The one thing I disagree with him on is the two button throws.  While bringing them down to 1 button would be optimal for tournament play, I think the reason Capcom has 2 button throws is simply to help discourage them from being used as much...as you'll see their cheap use in many 3D fighters and even in 2D fighters like MK and such.  Granted...MK is by no means in the same league as SF.  Two very different games."
    I don't have the game, but I personally thought that 2-button throws sounded great for the game.
    As I understand what he's saying though, is that you can't NOT want to throw if you are close enough to do so, which is why I think he favors 1-button.
    I hate it though, since I guess I like to feel in control when I play... and accidently throwing someone when not actually planing to do so, is not being control :-)

If you like that read, you should really explore he's site some more. He has some quite interesting articles about Playing to Win... and also some articles about how they went about balancing HD Remix.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
    Diamond said:
    "I'm a very average SF4 player and I have no problem with Cammy's hooligan throw.  If this guy can't handle it, maybe I'm too good or something?"
    It's more about the fact that it's part of a string combo and still a 2 button press in order to accomplish it.  Traditionally, you don't find that type of a setup with combos in 2D fighting games, especially ones that are more than likely going to be in tournament play.

Back in the SSF2 days, sure...it was fine because the complexity of the move warranted the need for something like this to keep it from being overpowered.  However, at the point we've reached now, it should be a 1-button combo.  You can go look at plenty of other SFIV characters and see that they have just-as-complex combos...yet all 1 button presses?  Really?  But Cammy is still on 2?  It's a nitpicky thing for sure...but given that that extra button can be a huge difference between winning against someone like Akuma or even Sagat at times, it's a MASSIVE deal for someone who plays SFIV beyond the general standard of it all.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Tarsier said:
    "he's pretty nitpicky eh"
    you have no fucking clue what hardcore street fighter fans are like do you? and rightfully so, the gameplay needs to be finely tuned and every frame needs to be just right. 
    EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EvilDingo
    Diamond said:
    "I'm a very average SF4 player and I have no problem with Cammy's hooligan throw.  If this guy can't handle it, maybe I'm too good or something?"
    Actually, he explains his general philosophy towards controls and skill in a article about the design decisions they made in HD Remix.
    It goes something like this: 
    Skill should not be defined as the ability to pull of difficult moves, but instead the strategy behind which moves you do. 
    Which is why it shouldn't be difficult to pull of any move you've decided to do

This philosophy is pretty much the reason why the moves in HD Remix are easier to pull off that classic Street Fighter Turbo.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By StaticFalconar

I always did find something off about SF4 that I couldn't put into words til now, Sirlin just articulated my thoughts. Well most of them. From this I can see Evo keeping 3rd strike, HDremix and SF4.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Systech
    LiquidPrince said:
    "The only thing I agree with or care about what he said is the fact that we have to unlock the characters.
    "
    Same here. The guy just seems like he's whining and it was hard to understand where he was coming from. He's just catting.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
    systech said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "The only thing I agree with or care about what he said is the fact that we have to unlock the characters."
    Same here. The guy just seems like he's whining and it was hard to understand where he was coming from. He's just catting."
    LOL  This is why most people will never understand tournament play in SF.  lol
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Diamond
    jakob187 said:
    It's more about the fact that it's part of a string combo and still a 2 button press in order to accomplish it.  Traditionally, you don't find that type of a setup with combos in 2D fighting games, especially ones that are more than likely going to be in tournament play.

Back in the SSF2 days, sure...it was fine because the complexity of the move warranted the need for something like this to keep it from being overpowered.  However, at the point we've reached now, it should be a 1-button combo.  You can go look at plenty of other SFIV characters and see that they have just-as-complex combos...yet all 1 button presses?  Really?  But Cammy is still on 2?  It's a nitpicky thing for sure...but given that that extra button can be a huge difference between winning against someone like Akuma or even Sagat at times, it's a MASSIVE deal for someone who plays SFIV beyond the general standard of it all.
    Talking more about the intricate balances between fighters then?  I wouldn't so much make Cammy's hooligan combo 1 button as nerf some of the other fighters, but I'm not a 'pro' level competitor by any means.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
    Diamond said:
    "jakob187 said:

Talking more about the intricate balances between fighters then?  I wouldn't so much make Cammy's hooligan combo 1 button as nerf some of the other fighters, but I'm not a 'pro' level competitor by any means."
    All I can say is that Dingo was able to find the best reasoning behind it in Sirlin's own words, which is what I tried to convey but obviously failed at doing:

Someone should not have to be restricted from strategy just because of a 2 button press vs. a 1 button press in an overall combo.  Skill has nothing to do with button presses.  Dexterity, maybe...but strategy is a different story altogether.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince
    jakob187 said:
    "systech said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "The only thing I agree with or care about what he said is the fact that we have to unlock the characters."
    Same here. The guy just seems like he's whining and it was hard to understand where he was coming from. He's just catting."
    LOL  This is why most people will never understand tournament play in SF.  lol
    "
    I understand it, I just don't care. The game is, wht it is. If you can't adapt, and just need them to make the game perfect for you, then your not as good a player as you thought you were. Good players adapt.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EvilDingo

Apparently he doesn't find it all bad though: LINK

I don't actually understand much of what he's writing, but I thought I might as well post it here :-)
    Axelhander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Axelhander
    Diamond said:

They didn't include GGPO because the overhead of GGPO was too high while running the game SF4.  This is what Capcom stated.  However, I think the netcode is amazingly well done.  I've only run into 2 matches were the lag was enough to make me have difficulty, and I never host, so I'm probably seeing more lag than the hosts see.

I'm a very average SF4 player and I have no problem with Cammy's hooligan throw.  If this guy can't handle it, maybe I'm too good or something?
    Capcom's claims about GGPO are dubious at best. Look up what Ponder from SRK has to say on the matter (he's the guy what MADE GGPO) and you'll find something more credible.

There is lag online. In an online match, tap your Jab button really fast once, and see how long it takes to translate onscreen. Even with really good connections, it's there. That rarely happens in HD Remix, and it isn't even using true GGPO.

David Sirlin is a high level tourney player who can likely easily perform Hooligans. The issue is whether or not it MUST have the command it has. Really, the command could be a simple QCF, with the move toned down IF it is deemed too strong for the current motion.

LiquidPrince said:
    I understand it, I just don't care. The game is, wht it is. If you can't adapt, and just need them to make the game perfect for you, then your not as good a player as you thought you were. Good players adapt.
    The reason there are good games is because people who actually understand the purpose of criticism will actually criticize something. Sitting back and taking whatever is fed to you is not indicative of being a good player. It's indicative of being a doormat.
    ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShiroMe

Pretty much everything he said was without merit. Why did he buy this game if he wanted to play Guilty Gear?

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By StaticFalconar
    Axelhander said:

LiquidPrince said:
    The reason there are good games is because people who actually understand the purpose of criticism will actually criticize something. Sitting back and taking whatever is fed to you is not indicative of being a good player. It's indicative of being a doormat.
    "
    Yes and no.

(NO) there is nothing we as players or the community can do to change what Capcom does with their games. <short of working on the game itself>
    (YES), if we can find enough things at fault with the game then there wouldn't be much of a community around the game and it just wouldn't be supported in the tournament scene.

This is why Sirlin did write a second article basically saying its not all bad and acknowledges its a new game with its own personal little quirks instead of trying to be an upgraded version of past SF games.

EDIT: To the OP, makes you kinda wish you could just change your topic name to Sirlin speaks about SF4 now since he did both sides, dont it??/
    EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EvilDingo
    StaticFalconar said:
    "EDIT: To the OP, makes you kinda wish you could just change your topic name to Sirlin speaks about SF4 now since he did both sides, dont it??/"
    well, I guess I could have also have made a new topic, but that felt kind of spammy :-)
    However, even if I could change the topic name, I'm not sure I would. He DID still have some problems with the game that he felt needed to be highlighted.
    The second article in no way invalidates the issues he mentions in the first article.

It simply states that he finds that there IS fun to be had in SF4 - in spite of his prior mentioned problems with the game.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Whisperkill
    When I read about the 100/100 scores, I see again and again how "simple and elegant" the game is. Two super meters, a 3-tier focus attack system, and all the complications above seem to fly in the face of that. Even more though, I hear how "casual friendly" it is. This is deeply mysterious and I'm not sure why this so often claimed  
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Luke

Dave Sirlin's a nice and smart guy.

I chatted with him (and also one of the Developers of Golden Axe Beast Rider, who I ate sushi with) at a Street Fighter Tourney last year.  Sirlin handled the score board like a pro, just like he handles his SF :p

Anyway, this was a great read (along with the positives: http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2009/2/24/some-positives-about-street-fighter-4.html) and damn near exactly how I feel about IV.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ImpendingFoil
    LiquidPrince said:

This is pretty much how I feel.  A friend of mine is making a lot of the same complaints and thought that HD Remix was a better game.  I told him to go back to his arcade and play some more Tekken 6.
    Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Randolph

It took me all of ten seconds to get a grip on the hooligan throw input.  It's easier in HD Remix, but honestly, it's still not hard either.  I just run my thumb across the pad from the bottom to the front and press punch.  No problem.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ParanoidFreak

People will always complain about sequels, especially professionals.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.