Did this dude rage-quit on me?

#1 Edited by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

Because I'm not entirely sure. 

I jumped back into some player matches last night and after getting roundly whipped by a few dudes (including a mean, mean Dhalsim), I got to playing against this dude who favoured Ryu. 

Anyway, I stuck with Fei Long and he beat me pretty convincingly in the first four matches. After which he hit that READY button in the lobby quick as lightning. 

Match five, I turned it around a bit and managed to pull out some EX Rekka-Kens and a couple of supers and take him down. Which felt great since it was the first player match I'd ever won.  

Into match six and I felt I had a pretty good rhythm going. I hit him with a few good flame kicks and threw a couple of times and eventually won the third round. But immediately after the big KO came on screen, but before Ryu hit the ground, I got a message saying CONNECTION LOST. 

Now my question is this: Did he quit on me? I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but it seemed a bit too convenient for a connection to be lost right at that particular moment.

I WAS WEARING THE PINK VERSION OF THIS COSTUME. PERHAPS THAT WAS A PROBLEM FOR HIM.

#2 Edited by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

Most modems/routers have a 'killswitch' of sorts, and in most "gamer pads", people usually sit right next to their computers where their routers are within reach. 
Now gamers who DONT have their routers within reach, their character stops moving... thats because they are pressing the home button and quitting the game altogether. Most fighters (including myself) call this button "The Rage Quit Button".  and the KO screen gives a good amount of time for you to press HOME > Quit Game.

with that being said, You just got rage quitted on.
#3 Posted by Joker_777 (326 posts) -

Sounds like a rage quit to me.

#4 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -
@PantyshotMQN said:
"Most modems/routers have a 'killswitch' of sorts, and in most "gamer pads", people usually sit right next to their computers where their routers are within reach. Now gamers who DONT have their routers within reach, their character stops moving... thats because they are pressing the home button and quitting the game altogether. Most fighters (including myself) call this button "The Rage Quit Button".  and the KO screen gives a good amount of time for you to press HOME > Quit Game.with that being said, You just got rage quitted on. "

I see. And as a result of this, I don't receive any medals or potential titles/emblems from the victory?
#5 Posted by pepsipat1 (227 posts) -

Well he probably did. I had that happen to me yesterday. I was cammy and the other guy I was El Fuerte and thought to myself "oh sh*t he's El Fuerte I never played against someone who's used him Im gunna get my ass kicked." So I put on my happy face and started making jokes while I was fighting him. On the third round after I won one and he did I got a Ultra combo finish. Before the win screen started to show up he actually said "F*ck this Sh*t" and then he quit. A rage quit happens often. I use to rage quit when I first started playing. Will you be ready the next time a rage quitter strikes?
#6 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -
@PepsiPat said:
" Will you be ready the next time a rage quitter strikes? "

Not really no.
#7 Posted by pepsipat1 (227 posts) -

Oh well to be honest no one is. A rage quitter can strike at any time. Watch out for the signs of a rage quitter which are currently unidentifiable.

#8 Posted by newmarcom (295 posts) -

I like to take these events in stride. These words were bestowed upon me in my early days of online matches, "Be proud for the fact you were skilled enough to be able to piss someone off enough to make them ragequit. Move onto the next victim and do it again."

#9 Posted by lordofultima (6208 posts) -

Doesn't really matter if he ragequit or not, my internet drops all the time and if the other player thinks I'm a ragequitter, he can suck a big

#10 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -

When you beat someone then they rage quit it counts as 2 wins :P

#11 Posted by CptPanda29 (189 posts) -

whenever I try to play a session with turbomonkey138 (recommended this here site =] ) both our connections can suddenly have a massive heart attack from full bars.   

I'm not that great at the game, but I politely suggested this one person not keep jumping empty after I air-grabbed them like 7 times in a row, and don't only do a fierce shoryu, and quickly got a message requesting that I shut the f*** up in full caps...

#12 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" Doesn't really matter if he ragequit or not, my internet drops all the time and if the other player thinks I'm a ragequitter, he can suck a big "
Dick!
#13 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

My preferred method of ragequitting is going to my fusebox and shutting off the power to my house then turning it back on. Sure I have to reset all the digital clocks and such but they never see it coming!

#14 Edited by Stang (4726 posts) -

Enjoy the rage quit. Rage quit = you pissed somebody off so bad they felt it necessary to be a bitch and quit. Or if in the case of Ultima, they got their internet from a cracker jack box.

#15 Posted by 10MP (311 posts) -

It was just a player match so he could of just got bored. I sometimes quit randomly win or lose during player matches.

#16 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

Sure it wasn't your connection? You're from Aus are you not? Out net is crap as hell T_T 

I lose connectioin all the time, usually when i'm about to win...
#17 Posted by LeetBalla (696 posts) -

Why do you care if it was a rage quit? I think when playing online you have to just accept that some people will take it way too seriously. Also, if you really want to know if this was a rage quit why don't you just ask the guy?

#18 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@CptPanda29 said:
" whenever I try to play a session with turbomonkey138 (recommended this here site =] ) both our connections can suddenly have a massive heart attack from full bars.    I'm not that great at the game, but I politely suggested this one person not keep jumping empty after I air-grabbed them like 7 times in a row, and don't only do a fierce shoryu, and quickly got a message requesting that I shut the f*** up in full caps... "
Don't try and reason with people :0

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.