Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

E. Honda and being new at Street Fighter IV

misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By misterpope

So I'm finally getting around to buying SFIV for my PC, and after having played a lot of Street Fighter II in my day, I was wondering how IV is gonna be different. 

Yes this thread again. But there's a twist! 

E. Honda. I think he's awesome. Is he actually any good in IV? And any tips? 

Thanks Giant Bomb Street Fighter IV Community.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By lordofultima

A lot of Honda players complain about Honda being shit, but he's probably mid-tier IMO (middle of the road). SFIV is a different game than II, much like III is a different game from either of these. Don't go in thinking it's a replica of SFII and you should be fine.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sodiumCyclops

As for online, be prepared to fight Ken, Ryu and Akuma over and over again.

However seeing as you got it on PC (steam?), I would be willing to add you and play you sometime :D

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon

Awesome, another PC player. Add me up (Gamertag is the same as my username) 

As for coming from II to IV, I did the same and, well, I was able to get a grasp of it all quicker than most, I'd say. It'll be a shock when you first jump online, but at least you'll have a better concept of basic strategies with some of the characters.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

If you know what to do with Honda, he is a great character.  Sure he does have his issues (tough getting through fire ball spammers, tough time against turtles), but he does massive damage.  I'm a Honda player myself and I love the fat bastard.  My gamer tag is JJOR64.  I own the PC version as well so we can play some time.

sho76und3wd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sho76und3wd

My best advice is to learn the basics.  I "played" SFII when I was younger, but I wasn't good at it and there was no type of scene to speak of.  I learned by doing a couple of things: 

Go into challenge mode and try out all the characters.  If you like Honda, stick with him.  Learn his combos and how to apply them.

Watch videos on YouTube.  This is an invaluable tool.  I learned so much just by watching.

Go to Shoryuken.com and read up on Honda.  Very good info there. 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jeffsekai

I've messed around with all major Charge chacters (except Chun-li and Guile) and I must say E.Hondas game is very basic so good for beginners but it defiantly is up there in terms of over all depth

Basically learn the tick in command throw. and how to anti air with headbutt/ultra and ur good. If you really take some risks pianoing cr.lp xx hp hands --> cr.lp xxx hp hands xx super would be the ultimate goal. Although JJOR cant even do that (at lest I've never seen him do it) so its not 100% game breaking.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Vodun Valkyrie is my gamertag, see you in there

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rayfield

I've come across some superior Hondas online. Some of them you can't even touch. They just throw and torpedo jab your ass into next week.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Symphony

Another person to welcome to SFIV, hooray :D

Just spam his light buttdrop move over and over and you'll do fine!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By JJOR64
    @Jeffsekai said:
    "Although JJOR cant even do that (at lest I've never seen him do it) so its not 100% game breaking. "
    I still can't do that.  I need to practice it more often.  I can piano hands, just not into another hands.  I did it once and that was it.
    misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By misterpope

Alright I actually ordered the game from Amazon so I could get the fightpad with it (who knows how that will go) but I'll add all you guys once I get the game. 

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll make sure to watch tons of videos and do the challenge modes, and test out some of the suggested tactics and combos.
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Thrawn1

I've been maining Honda for awhile and I can give you some info. He's not a bad character, like ultima said he's about midtier. He has generally even matchups but a few really bad matchups. The reason he's worse in sfiv than other sf games is all his specials are slower and more obvious, and his hundred hand slap range is greatly decreased and harder to get out as part of a combo. 

If you're going to play on a fightpad (by fightpad I assume you're talking about the regular shaped controller with 6 facebuttons) then I dont recommend using charge characters or characters who require fast mashing to get a special move out. Honda falls under both of these categories and should really only be played on a fight stick. There are some combos you can learn without the stick but you won't be able to do his hundred slap move as part of a combo unless you do something crazy like map one button to light punch and the rest to hard punch lol.

If you decided to get an arcade stick or if you want to be dumb and play honda on a pad then I'll be more than willing to give you some pointers.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By turbomonkey138

He is the one of the characters i always loose too . Its that damn headbutt thing he does . It destroys balrog .

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @turbomonkey138: Actually the Balrog Honda match is in Balrogs favour.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @turbomonkey138: Actually the Balrog Honda match is in Balrogs favour.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @turbomonkey138: Actually the Balrog Honda match is in Balrogs favour. "
    Oh well i guess i just suck then lol
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nanikore

Gandalf > Balrog 
    Toyota > Honda

NinjaCupCaiks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By NinjaCupCaiks
    @nanikore said:
    " Gandalf > Balrog 
    Toyota > Honda "
    This.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By lordofultima
    @nanikore said:
    " Gandalf > Balrog Toyota > Honda "
    This just in, Gandalf is dead. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Balrog's punches cause cancer. Doesn't get cooler than that.
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Thrawn1
    @turbomonkey138: you can punish mp and hp headbutt with lp dash punch. IF timed correctly a crouching hp will beat honda's buttslam. Also if you sit there jabbing you will beat all of honda's headbutts even ultra lol
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AniMoney
    @Thrawn said:
    " @turbomonkey138: you can punish mp and hp headbutt with lp dash punch. IF timed correctly a crouching hp will beat honda's buttslam. Also if you sit there jabbing you will beat all of honda's headbutts even ultra lol "
    What you say is true, but Honda can kind of stuff all of Balrog's attacks as well. So the matchup is usually very slow unless Honda can get his mixup game going early with crossups, HHS, and ochio throw.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.