Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

ESC Halifax Qaulifiers, or Advice on Drinking During a Tournament

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Flushes

I recently got a chance to travel to Halifax (driving distance) to play in an ESC qualifier for a larger event in Toronto. Halifax is about the smallest SF4 scene you could possibly imagine, but coming from where I am, that shit was crazy. I actually managed to lose my very first game (because I played like ass), and immediately started drinking, since the tournament was conveniently located in a bar. That and a combination of being incredibly lame helped me fight through loser's into an utterly shocking 2nd place finish. Seriously, at the first sign of trouble, I would sit on down/back for like 45 seconds. If they moved, I would just hit short until they jumped, then ultra juggle them and then just ambiguous roll. Dude in grand finals just said fuck it and rushed my ass down, but it was still a blast. Get dat fight monay! Nova Scotia get hype?!

I present to you the following hype video featuring my hideous human form. Also, buzzed and terrified. 

Playing in front of crowds is scary! Not shown in the video: me landing a super and doing a Juicebox Abel "SEEEAAAAAYYAAAA" at the guy sitting next to me. Biggest lessons learned from the entire thing: Abel's defensive game and AA is actually good, and I should probably just go for that step kick combo instead of being too much of a wuss to try it when it matters.
    Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Juvarial

I LIVE IN TANTALLON, NS - 30m from downtown. 
    WHATS UP : D 
    And also had no idea-Woulda checked it out if I did. Mailing list or something I can join for stuff like this?

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Flushes

Hooray! Did you make it out for the tournament? 

Edit: There's a Maritime thread on SRK in the Canada: Discussion and Matchmaking regional subforum. Check it out!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

Dude, I just moved back to Cape Breton from Halifax. I used to live downtown. Actually now that I look at the video, I lived beside the Rogues Roost! I didn't think of that place to be a venue for a SF4 championship, lmao.

I had no idea this was even going on.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Stang

I didn't even know you were still here, no offense. Going to evo?

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Flushes

Yeah, as soon as I figure out where I want to stay etc. I have all my Evo money socked away; it's just a matter of spending it. 

Edit: Yeah, I managed to find a pocket of serious players that I have at least semi-regular access to, so I've been playing with those guys a lot. For some reason, like a quarter of them all play Dhalsim. Ugh.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Stang
    @Flushes: My pops said he can get some sort of a hook up at Harrah's because of all the cash he has lost to them over the years, I should have the specifics by next weekend.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By demontium

Blanka = defensive 

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Flushes

He was just scared because I kept low fierce xx air grabbing him on reaction every time he hopped at me standing.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By AndrewJD

Cool. Any of the games been posted in full anywhere? I like watching Abel play.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Flushes: Canada SF Get Hype!!! The group of guys i play with isnt nearly as big as the one you have there...lucky bastard. Grats on the win tho. JW was there anyone from Ontario there?

....holy crap...so does this mean you will be at the thingy in Toronto? (Theres a name for it I forget it tho) but from the looks of things I will be going to that too. :D
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Flushes

The guys from Toronto that came were Dice, RXS, and Drekken. I probably won't go to the Toronto event, since I got second and only first place at this thing got a guaranteed qualifying spot. There's a last chance qualifier at Anime North this year, so maybe if I'm feeling like a trip to Toronto, I might just go for shits and giggles. Full matches have not been posted yet, this video just surfaced yesterday.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CL60

Why are there so many of us GiantBombers from Halifax?!!!

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Flushes
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy
    @CL60 said:
    " Why are there so many of us GiantBombers from Halifax?!!! "
    I know like I see a new one every day. I try to tell my friends about it, and they could have told others. After all, I was told by a friend about this place.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By lordofultima

drinking during tourney, dangerous idea.

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Flushes
    @lordofultima said:

" drinking during tourney, dangerous idea. "

Best cure for shaking hands and bad execution = double jack and coke.    
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @lordofultima said:
    Or the best idea ever, no need to second guess yourself. 
    Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Juvarial

NS repping : D 
    I used to play MLG Gears Of War 1, Just to add to the NS hype ; D

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lordofultima
    @Flushes said:
    " @lordofultima said:

Best cure for shaking hands and bad execution = double jack and coke.     "
    Maybe bodies behave differently to alcohol but, when I drink, my motor skills are reduced greatly. Drinking while playing video games generally makes me play much worse, and if you drink too much that can lead to me feeling sick or tired, etc. Water is the drink of the gods, precisely why I don't plan on eating any bad food or drinking soda during Final Round. Don't want to risk bathroom breaks, upset stomachs, etc.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napalm
    @lordofultima: You think your motor skills are reduced when drinking?! How about when you smoke two BOALS?!

EH?!

HUH?!?!
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lordofultima
    @Napalm: They are just as bad, precisely why I don't smoke any of those. Never have, never will. YOU JUNKIE, GET OFF MY BACK!
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By napalm
    @lordofultima: No, but to be serious. I think the best thing to do is carry a bottle of water and some gum. Chewing gum will help with nervousness and the water can help you from getting cotton mouth.
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @Napalm said:
    " @lordofultima: No, but to be serious. I think the best thing to do is carry a bottle of water and some gum. Chewing gum will help with nervousness and the water can help you from getting cotton mouth. "
    This. I got cotton mouth during a money match I had a while back. Its the worse feeling ever during a match. Maybe next to having to pee.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @SpecialBuddy said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " @lordofultima: No, but to be serious. I think the best thing to do is carry a bottle of water and some gum. Chewing gum will help with nervousness and the water can help you from getting cotton mouth. "
    This. I got cotton mouth during a money match I had a while back. Its the worse feeling ever during a match. Maybe next to having to pee. "
    I think having to eat really bad, like to the point where you are dizzy and what not would be bad. Or if you had a massive hard on and could not stand up after a loss :(
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By napalm
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @SpecialBuddy said:
    " @Napalm said:
    This. I got cotton mouth during a money match I had a while back. Its the worse feeling ever during a match. Maybe next to having to pee. "
    I think having to eat really bad, like to the point where you are dizzy and what not would be bad. Or if you had a massive hard on and could not stand up after a loss :( "
    And just why exactly would you have a hard on playing SFIV next to a probably smelly guy...?
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Stang
    @Napalm: Some things are better left alone, your world view may be destroyed if Jeff answers that.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By napalm
    @Stang said:
    " @Napalm: Some things are better left alone, your world view may be destroyed if Jeff answers that. "
    Or... it could explain everything.
    baelrrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By baelrrogg
    @Flushes:  Hey I didn't know you were a member of these forums... That first loss you mention, that was me... Was more of a fluke than anything since I proceeded to loose 2 straight afterwards but good to know some of the local community is here on GB as well....  Also thanks for posting, its my first time seing the footage from the tourney since then.
    Avatar image for savage_shrubber
    Savage_Shrubber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Savage_Shrubber

I'm not sure if it was my nerves or your drinking, but you smoked me in the loser's finals. Jerk.

Seriously though, folks, any Halifax player come check out our weekly ranbats at the Last Game Store on lacewood, and post up on the Maratimes thread over on SRK. Chances are I won't check this account ever again, so if you want more info, check us out on SRK! Do it! NOW! ... please?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.