Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

GameSpot Ripped-off my Giant Bomb SFIV Guide?!

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Luke

I think GameSpot ripped-off my Street Fighter IV - Unlockables Guide here on Giant Bomb!

Here is GameSpot's Guide:
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/6204672/p-28.html

Here is an EARLY version (Published as v7 on Feb. 17) of my Guide, where it's a bit inaccurate but I was still figuring things out:
    http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/drafts/street-fighter-iv-unlockables-guide-v7/6597

Notice how their's is in the EXACT same order, by unlock, but they changed some of the wording... but also notice how Seth is EXACTLY the same word-for-word?

They totally ripped from an older inferior version of my Guide!  What assholes!

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There's only so many ways you can put it...

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Luke

I also see that GameSpot's Guide was Published on Feb 18, after mine:
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/6204672/index.html?tag=gameguide;header

@Bellum: Yeah, and originally I put things wrong, as I was writing this at work from memory... especially with Seth!  He should have been last on the list, not before Akuma.  GameSpot obviously ripped from my Guide.  They could have at least like switched Cammy and Fei Long around or something, but they didn't.

GameSpot didn't try hard enough to make my Guide their own.  They totally sole from me, from my hard work, for something I was giving to a Community I enjoy being a part of.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Bullet_Jr

If it makes any difference, your efforts may help others, whether or not you are credited for it.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Out_On_Bail

isn't that what a wiki is for?

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Luke

Guys, yes, but it's also proper etiquette that a site links back to their source of information.

I would like Giant Bomb to succeed and get traffic.  It's not right if someone goes to GameSpot, views stolen information, and does not get linked back to the original source where they can actually find better/more/updated info.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

Um, sue them for plagiarism?

Kinda torn here, while I'm sure you put work and effort into your guide, the guide itself is on the topic of facts. I mean there is no other way to state the facts of how to unlock characters, much like all the guides out there on trophy and achievement points. Even the specific instructions for unlocking Akuma and Gouken was ripped from Jeff's article which He ripped from Capcom's own site (I did see you comment on that story that you will use that info for your guide). If your guide was more than just stating the facts or at least put in a couple of your own personal comments I would be more on your side. Afterall, if we have trouble with a certain challenge and all your guide says is to beat that challenge, that isn't exactly helpful.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Hexpane

a list of unlocks?  That's not really a guide as much as it is a list

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_

Guides for games are written a month or two (if not more) prior to the game's release. Chances are, this was written before you ever had the idea of writing an unlock piece.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Karmum

I really don't see many similarities, at least from the first page, the wording isn't even that similar.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

Looked at any other guides?  I would suggest doing so, as many of them have the SAME thing listed on theirs.  You're talking about unlocks here.  ALL of them are going to look very similar.

So...after looking at all this, I've gotta say:  this was a weak attempt at a GameSpot hate thread.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Luke

Guys, look at the Seth entry on GameSpot's Guide.  The words, even the commas/punctuation, are exactly the same.

I'm not trying to make a hate thread or anything... I'm just saying, that that's my writing style and my mistake in GameSpot's Guide, and the GameSpot Author definitely did a direct copy/paste.  Also, the order of the entries are exactly the same.  I looked at a bunch of other Unlock Guides for this game on other sites, GameSpot's is the only one that uses the exact order I did.

I think he copied/pasted the whole thing, then tried to change it to his wording, but forgot about Seth.  That is what I believed happened.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jayge_
    Luke said:
    "Guys, look at the Seth entry on GameSpot's Guide.  The words, even the commas/punctuation, are exactly the same.

I'm not trying to make a hate thread or anything... I'm just saying, that that's my writing style and my mistake in GameSpot's Guide, and the GameSpot Author definitely did a direct copy/paste.  Also, the order of the entries are exactly the same.  I looked at a bunch of other Unlock Guides for this game on other sites, GameSpot's is the only one that uses the exact order I did.

I think he copied/pasted the whole thing, then tried to change it to his wording, but forgot about Seth.  That is what I believed happened.
    "
    Oh it's an internet guide. Yeah... that might be suspect.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew

And whining on a forum does what exactly? If you really think he ripped off your guide, contact him directly or go through customer support.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As your attorney, I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top. And you'll need the cocaine. Tape recorder for special music. Acapulco shirts. Get the hell out of L.A. for at least 48 hours

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Coltonio7
    TeflonBilly said:
    "As your attorney, I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top. And you'll need the cocaine. Tape recorder for special music. Acapulco shirts. Get the hell out of L.A. for at least 48 hours"

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Luke

lol! @ TeflonBilly

Anyway, I'm not whining/ranting/hating and don't really ever do that.  It's not in my nature and I'm a pretty positive/passive person.

Like I said, I would just love to see Giant Bomb succeed as much as possible and GameSpot should have linked back here, if that's where they got the info from.  I was just stating a fact that they ripped my Guide.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LordAndrew

But you don't know that Andre Segars ripped off your guide, and why would he anyway?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LordAndrew

Anyway, I sent him a private message yesterday, and just got a response about ten minutes ago.

Hi LordAndrew,

We originally posted our Street Fighter IV guide without an Unlockables section, however, I amended it shortly thereafter when a user submitted the list of Unlockables you now see on the site. I did a quick check to ensure it wasn't lifted from elsewhere, but apparently I didn't search hard enough.

Granted, whenever it comes to lists of "Unlockables," "codes," and the like, there are often going to be similarities; after all, there's only so many ways to write [Do this] to [earn this]. However, there does seem to be some strong similarities in this case, and as such, I've pulled that page from our guide until it can be properly updated.

I'm sorry for the error and extend my apologies to the original guide writer (who from the looks of it, has done a bang-up job himself.)

Andre

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Luke

Wow, I don't know what to say, except for maybe that yr awesome LordAndrew!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By get2sammyb

That was fair of him ^^

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Cirdain
    Coltonio7 said:
    "TeflonBilly said:
    "As your attorney, I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top. And you'll need the cocaine. Tape recorder for special music. Acapulco shirts. Get the hell out of L.A. for at least 48 hours"
    Hell Yeah!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.