Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Gate Change Advice

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By ChrisTaran

Just bought a SFIV TE Arcade Stick and I've come to realize that I do not like the way a square gate feels.  I'd like to replace it with a octagonal gate, but I've never done any modding before.

Would anyone be able to direct me to a good site or explain how to do this, where to shop, what tools I may need, and how to know if the part I buy will even work with the TE Stick?

Like I said, I'm new to modding of any kind, so I literally know nothing on how to do this.  Before I accidentally destroy my brand new $130 stick I figure I'd ask :)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    Store to buy it from = Lizardlick
    Will it work?: It will definitely function if you mod it properly.
    Tool = Screwdriver (recommend Flathead)

Video of SE stick being opened and modded
    (same way for TE)
    Shoryuken tech forums (An excellent resource for information on modding.)

Two threads that may help from the SRK tech forums: Octagonal restrictor plate mod in TE? and Confirmation on octagonal gate for TE stick

But perhaps before ditching your square gate you could try to get used to it?  Generally, I've heard that you'll feel more lost with the octagonal gate as you don't feel the corners as fully.  You just got your stick and it takes some time getting used to it.  I suggest playing with it and waiting a while to see if you change your mind.

Two SRK threads on the subject: Octagonal gate: Good or bad? and Square or Octagonal gate?
    ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ChrisTaran

Ahh, thanks a bunch FluxWaveZ!
    These resources look like they'll be perfect.

That's probably a good idea though; seeing if I get used to it.  I was going to probably hold off until after the holidays are over anyway, so I'll try and give myself a good 2 months using the square gate before going through with the change.

Again, thanks!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

No problem.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By lordofultima

Yeah, the restrictor place is probably the easiest thing to change, as it'll only take like 20 seconds once you get the case open to pop it off, and pop a new one on. Here's my old SE modding video I did a while back, you can skip ahead to the part where I remove the gate to rotate the PCB, as that is what applies to your question. 

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    I would recommend that you stick with the square gate.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lordofultima

I personally liked the square gate from the beginning, so I'd just say do whatever you feel is right. If you are puzzled by the feel by all means try out an 8-way plate, they're cheap enough to where if you like that even less, it's no real loss.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ChrisTaran

I'll ultimately try both.  I play mainly Sakura, and I find her circular stick moves to be rather difficult to execute with the square gate.   I am a newbie to fighting games though, so that could be a large part of it (haven't played a fighting game since Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo in the arcades when it was new).

Even if the gate were rotated in more of a diamond configuration, I think that would help me immensely, but I don't think that's possible (that I'm aware of).

Since posting initially I read some forums that mentioned that a Ryu/Ken like fighter is easier with the octagonal gate and that charge characters are better with a square.  Worst case scenerio, I have both and I can always switch back to sqaure if need be.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lordofultima
    @ChrisTaran said:
    " I'll ultimately try both.  I play mainly Sakura, and I find her circular stick moves to be rather difficult to execute with the square gate.   I am a newbie to fighting games though, so that could be a large part of it (haven't played a fighting game since Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo in the arcades when it was new).  Even if the gate were rotated in more of a diamond configuration, I think that would help me immensely, but I don't think that's possible (that I'm aware of).  Since posting initially I read some forums that mentioned that a Ryu/Ken like fighter is easier with the octagonal gate and that charge characters are better with a square.  Worst case scenerio, I have both and I can always switch back to sqaure if need be. "
    You can rotate the square gate to a diamond shape, but then it becomes a "4-way" gate, for games such as pac-man where only 4 direction inputs are needed. There would be such little range on diagonals at that point, that the stick wouldn't even register them.
    ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ChrisTaran
    @lordofultima: Ahh, ok then I guess I'll avoid the diamond route!
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By AniMoney

I've never tried anything but square, but if you're new to sticks, it's going to feel weird either way until you get used to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.