Gen's Parry

#1 Posted by lordofultima (6270 posts) -

So yeb discovered that Gen has a makeshift parry in SFIV, by canceling focus into stance change. This is pretty nuts, I don't know if he should have revealed this before Super came out, Capcom is somewhere out there, listening, and removing functionality! Haha. 

#2 Posted by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -

Just told Canned about this,  he had no idea it wasnt butter haha

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (19051 posts) -

That IS fucking nuts.

#4 Posted by QuietAlien (174 posts) -

That's awesome

#5 Posted by SuperSecretAgenda (696 posts) -

This just blew my mind on so many levels/made me want to try Gen again.

#6 Posted by Jayzilla (2571 posts) -

That is all varieties of victory!

#7 Posted by EvilGreenDevil (199 posts) -

jaw dropped

#8 Posted by Gabriel (4076 posts) -

Channeling Kill Bill there

#9 Posted by Kumo (125 posts) -

Holy crap. Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out in tournaments.
#10 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

I don't really know if it'll make gen any better of a character. It looks like a tool that can only be used effectively in specific situations and you'd have to know exactly what kind of attack the other guy is gonna do. Sure you could throw it out on wake up but for it to accomplish anything the other person would have had to do a single hit, no armor breaking move with long recovery and those aren't the kinds of things people generally do on wake up anyway. It's still cool but I doubt this will do anything significant for gen, he has too many other problems.

#11 Posted by Kumo (125 posts) -
@Thrawn:
You're right, it probably won't. It's still going to be entertaining to watch any shenanigans that come out of it.
#12 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -

Yo Real Talk! That looks mad hard to do on the fly. I guess I'm off to do it right now.

#13 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" Yo Real Talk! That looks mad hard to do on the fly. I guess I'm off to do it right now. "
and you're taking the gamble that they're not doing a armor breaking move or something with multiple hits....and even then if you focus a crouching jab you haven't really accomplished much
#14 Edited by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@Thrawn said:

" @SpecialBuddy said:

" Yo Real Talk! That looks mad hard to do on the fly. I guess I'm off to do it right now. "
and you're taking the gamble that they're not doing a armor breaking move or something with multiple hits....and even then if you focus a crouching jab you haven't really accomplished much "
Well, Bracken, if you watch the video you will notice he isnt doing it in any of those situations. Im pretty sure that no one would do it mid combo. It just make wake up / fireball avoidance easier.
#15 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Interesting.

#16 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" @Thrawn said:

" @SpecialBuddy said:

and you're taking the gamble that they're not doing a armor breaking move or something with multiple hits....and even then if you focus a crouching jab you haven't really accomplished much "
Well, Bracken, if you watch the video you will notice he isnt doing it in any of those situations. Im pretty sure that no one would do it mid combo. It just make wake up / fireball avoidance easier. "
I guess we'll see tomorrow how well gen can parry a random headbutt.....not well at all I'm thinking? and tier whore isn't responding to his phone so maybe he'll come by, maybe not
#17 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@Thrawn said:
" @SpecialBuddy said:
" @Thrawn said:

" @SpecialBuddy said:

Well, Bracken, if you watch the video you will notice he isnt doing it in any of those situations. Im pretty sure that no one would do it mid combo. It just make wake up / fireball avoidance easier. "
I guess we'll see tomorrow how well gen can parry a random headbutt.....not well at all I'm thinking? and tier whore isn't responding to his phone so maybe he'll come by, maybe not "
Well good thing Honda wont be their. Cause I told him to go die in a ditch. He refused so I pushed him in. Fuck Honda.
#18 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Until I hear stories of Yeb's major win streak because he can parry shit on the fly now, there no reason why capcom should take this out.

#19 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
" Until I hear stories of Yeb's major win streak because he can parry shit on the fly now, there no reason why capcom should take this out. "
Doesn't mean they won't though. 

Personally I think it's pretty cool and Gen isn't high tier anyways so there's not much to complain about unless this is really game-changing or drastically affects one of his matchups. Would love to see someone do this in intense situations.
#20 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12005 posts) -

This could either be completely negligible or move Gen up a few spots on the tier list. I am betting the former.

#21 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@AniMoney: Watch the last thing Capcom announces, "oh yeah, and there is parrying now." Well, probably not, but it's cool to see something like this exist, even if it was on accident, or was it?!
#22 Posted by Plasma (931 posts) -

Its not a parry all, its a focus attack that can be cancelled quicker than normal. But parry is a much easier way to talk about it :P 
For people with good enough execution, it just adds another layer to Gen's 'WTF I wasn't expecting THAT!'

#23 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

It looks super usefull against Dhalsim. That pesky Fireball -- Arms thing can be super annoying sometimes.

#24 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -
@lordofultima: Have you, or anyone, seen this in action? 

It'd be awesome if someone started owning with gen at a tournament with that tech.
#25 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @lordofultima: Have you, or anyone, seen this in action?  It'd be awesome if someone started owning with gen at a tournament with that tech. "
I did it today in casuals at my college for the lolz. It has some pretty strict timing but it was funny when I did it then proceeded to jump in and get a free combo.
#26 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" @demontium said:
" @lordofultima: Have you, or anyone, seen this in action?  It'd be awesome if someone started owning with gen at a tournament with that tech. "
I did it today in casuals at my college for the lolz. It has some pretty strict timing but it was funny when I did it then proceeded to jump in and get a free combo. "
Nice! 

Videos?
#27 Posted by copycatzen (816 posts) -

WTF
#28 Posted by lordofultima (6270 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @SpecialBuddy said:
" @demontium said:
I did it today in casuals at my college for the lolz. It has some pretty strict timing but it was funny when I did it then proceeded to jump in and get a free combo. "
Nice!  Videos? "
There's already a video, I don't see what Canned taping some casuals would do for us.
#29 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @demontium said:
" @SpecialBuddy said:
" @demontium said:
Nice!  Videos? "
There's already a video, I don't see what Canned taping some casuals would do for us. "
MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET ON AND WE WILL MAKE THAT VIDEO! OF YOU GOING DOWN!
#30 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @demontium said:
" @SpecialBuddy said:
" @demontium said:
Nice!  Videos? "
There's already a video, I don't see what Canned taping some casuals would do for us. "
Links?
#31 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@demontium: He is talking about the one in the first post of this thread.
#32 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" @demontium: He is talking about the one in the first post of this thread. "
-_- I MEANT IN ACTION!! 

loltima lied to me :3
#33 Posted by biggblack86 (124 posts) -

yea that shit looks raw. might make me actually give a fuck when i play some gens out there... or pick him up myself. O_O

#34 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @SpecialBuddy said:
-_- I MEANT IN ACTION!!  loltima lied to me :3 "
Well I might be going to casuals tomorrow so Ill try and see if something cant get recorded. Ill pull it off just for you. ;P
#35 Posted by biggblack86 (124 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy:   where do you play at special buddy? cuz if i recall correctly, you stay in arlington as well.  i could use some good, live competition.
#36 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@biggblack86: Here is the web page with all the info.
#37 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" @demontium said:
" @SpecialBuddy said:
-_- I MEANT IN ACTION!!  loltima lied to me :3 "
Well I might be going to casuals tomorrow so Ill try and see if something cant get recorded. Ill pull it off just for you. ;P "
You are too cool *thumbs up ken style*
#38 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -
@biggblack86: do you go to uta?
#39 Edited by biggblack86 (124 posts) -
@Thrawn:
no i dont actually. but if i did i imagine it would be a lot easier for me to find some matchups. O_O

are you from the dfw as well??
#40 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

yeah we have a really good scene no matter what game you play or what you skill level is. i'll pm you some info

#41 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

This game is more broken than MW2!

/has nothing to add to the conversation.
//probably shouldn't have said anything at all.
///but where's the fun in that?!

#42 Posted by lordofultima (6270 posts) -

Here's it used against Blanka electricity, lol. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.