Getting hit by a focus when getting up

#1 Posted by fingofongo (118 posts) -

Does anyone know how to counter/prevent this? I always get hit by a focus when I'm getting up after being knocked down. Then I get ultra'd. And lose a lot of health. And it hurts.

Like, when i get knocked down, the opponent starts charging his focus. Then right when I"m up, he focus attacks me and I fall again. I do this to other people too sometimes, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to prevent it.

#2 Posted by NinjaHunter (972 posts) -

Try to grab them. I'm not really sure if it would work but if they are close enough for a focus attack they are probably close enough for you to grab them.

#3 Posted by Neon941 (238 posts) -

I sometimes use this tactic but it can be pretty easilly countered, you just get up straight into a special move, for example I use Ken's shoryuken or Cammy's cannon drill, they break focus attacks no problem. I also consider going straight into my ultra if it's charged. Don't think of it as the opponent getting you pinned, think of it more in terms of the fact that they just left themselves wide open. 

#4 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

Usually if you get up quick and you notice they start charging it , usually they will let it go full power - just jump over them and they'll panic and let go of the focus then follow up with a special or just trip them. Just another alternative.

#5 Posted by fingofongo (118 posts) -

Yeah I'll try those, I guess you have more time than you think when you're getting up
thanks

#6 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

Also when you fall pressing down right before you hit the ground makes you come back up much quicker giving you more time to counter or even preventing them from starting the focus at all.

#7 Posted by WiqidBritt (577 posts) -

I think every character has a move they can do from the ground that has a certain amount of invulnerability at the start, if you time it right you can start the motion for the move right as you're getting up and the instant you're on your feet you'll do the move, it should either break their armor, or counter the focus attack if they've already let it go

#8 Edited by rerty (105 posts) -

low heavy should work, but if the person times the focus attack perfectly its gonna be tough to counter especially if you are a new player and can not pull off moves under pressure.

#9 Posted by L1qu1dSword (1 posts) -

yeah the focus is only unblockable if they charge it all the way. if you tap down just as you hit the ground u will get up more quickly buying time. from there id block or throw or something.

#10 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -
Neon941 said:
"I sometimes use this tactic but it can be pretty easilly countered, you just get up straight into a special move, for example I use Ken's shoryuken or Cammy's cannon drill, they break focus attacks no problem "
Yea, the focus attack only protects them from one hit, so be ready to give them something that hits at least twice. A lot of people have medium attacks that hit twice or use an EX attack to modify a regular one hit special into something that hits twice,
#11 Posted by matrixman333 (7 posts) -

Also any of the attacks on a character's movelist with a red star next to it can break their focus attack and hurt them.  Sagat's Knee Crush for example.

#12 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -
Alex_Murphy said:
"Neon941 said:
"I sometimes use this tactic but it can be pretty easilly countered, you just get up straight into a special move, for example I use Ken's shoryuken or Cammy's cannon drill, they break focus attacks no problem "
Yea, the focus attack only protects them from one hit, so be ready to give them something that hits at least twice. A lot of people have medium attacks that hit twice or use an EX attack to modify a regular one hit special into something that hits twice,
"
Yeah dude, I play a pretty decent Ken (I'm so original, I know) and a fierce shoryuken straight out of being knocked down puts any fool trying to pull a focus chain on you in their place rather quickly, or if you can, bust out an EX special and that will make them think twice, too.
#13 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -
matrixman333 said:
"Also any of the attacks on a character's movelist with a red star next to it can break their focus attack and hurt them.  Sagat's Knee Crush for example.
"
Ahh that's useful!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.